Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 02:28 AM   #1

Garage
New User, New Boxster

Just got my 2000 boxster S, bought it from a small dealer that new nothing about the car. Has a few problems (but got the car for $11,000 crazy low for an S so i dont mind) ill need some help fixing as ill try fixing as much as i can by myself.

The rear window is badly cracked. I realize itll cost around $400 to fix it, but id like to know how much more itd cost in the end to convert it to glass, so itd last longer. Either that or is there any othertype of plastic that lasts longer? And how much more is it?

Theres also a minor oil leak. No oil dripping but i can smell it. The only problem is im not sure how toget to the engine so i can try to locate what exactly is leaking. I know theres something to do with the top but i dont want to break anything trying to find out.

Also the brake wear light is on but all the brake pads are new. How difficult is if to fix it?

Thats all i can think of for now. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Old 07-07-2013, 03:42 AM   #2

Garage
The problem with a "minor" oil leak on a 986 is that it is potentially a sign of bigger problems. If you didn't have a PPI done by a Porsche shop before buying, you should get to one, and have them put the car on a lift, and inspect it thoroughly.

Google 986 RMS and IMS or search this forum, you'll find a lot of info that will keep you up at night (you're welcome :P).

To access the engine from the top, here's a write up, and a video:
Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Air Filter / Pollen Filter Replacement - 986 / 987
(this site is an excellent resource for many boxster maintenance topics)

Porsche Boxster S - 986 Remove Engine Cover - Replace Air Filter porscherepair video - YouTube

But, you may need to put it on a lift or at least jack stands to see where you're leaking from...

To reset the break wear light, you probably need to replace the wear sensors in the bakes themselves, which is about a difficult as replacing the brake pads -- fairly straightforward if you are remotely handy. See the Pelican site for the brake pad replacement steps & you'll find the wear sensors mentioned in there.

There are a few after market tops with glass, search this forum or ebay, you'll find them; Price varies but I think you're looking at around $600 - $1000
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:31 AM   #3

First of all Kyle, welcome to the forum! If there are no oil leaks, then I don't see how it can be the IMS or the RMS, so don't panic! However, 2003S is correct, you should get a good Porsche mechanic to do a PPI (in your case, that would be post purchase inspection). If you have not changed the oil, then change it and cut open the filter to check for metal/plastic particles. I would also purchase a magnetic drain plug at Pelican. If the pads have been replaced, I agree that the pad sensors are probably the cause of the brake wear indicator light remaining on - if it doesn't bother you, you can always wait and replace them during the next brake job (the parts are not inexpensive). 2003S is also correct, you are probably better off replacing the entire top (and there are various threads on the subject and tops available on ebay at very low costs). Professional installation will likely be as much or more than the top, although many here have replaced the tops themselves. When you say that there is "something to do with the top", what do you mean? Again, there are various threads on the topic. If it occasionally refuses to go up and down, it is likely just a microswitch - the one on the emergency brake being a common problem. Check to ensure that the emergency brake light goes on when it is deployed as otherwise, the top will not function.

Good luck and enjoy the new ride!

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylesBoxS View Post
Theres also a minor oil leak. No oil dripping but i can smell it.
Get underneath when the engine is nice and hot and look for oil dripping on the catalytic converters. This was the cause of a burning oil smell in my case and was easily remedied with new o-rings around the spark plug tubes.

Wret is offline   Reply With Quote