Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2006, 10:18 PM   #41

PorscheDoc:

1) do you use an intercooler in your setup? Is there any danger of detonation?

2) This may be a topic for a different thread, but how about a comment on why you didn't use turbocharging as your method of forced induction.

socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:09 PM   #42
creseida

What kind of life expectancy is there on these SC's before they need to be rebuilt? For example, the G-lader in the VW Corrado tends to start spitting Apex strips after about 80k miles, necessitating a rebuild.

How many miles could one reasonably expect to get out of these before needing a rebuild or replacement? What kind of service do these SC's require to keep them going?

Thanks
Old 01-28-2006, 04:36 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by socratic
Quite interested in a future supercharger for my 2001 2.7L

Questions:

1) Not serious: can it be driven by a pulley on an electric clutch so that I can switch it on/off at will? Guess what movie is inspiring this question?
"Two days ago I saw a vehicle that would haul that tanker. You want to get out of here? You talk to me!"

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:41 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
"Two days ago I saw a vehicle that would haul that tanker. You want to get out of here? You talk to me!"
I recognize that from Mad max.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:43 AM   #45

Quote:
PorscheDoc:

1) do you use an intercooler in your setup? Is there any danger of detonation?

2) This may be a topic for a different thread, but how about a comment on why you didn't use turbocharging as your method of forced induction.
1. We do not use an intercooler on this setup, there just is no room. The programing is done by GIAC, and the air fuel mixture is excellent, thus no detonation.

2. Quite honestly, there is a lot more involved in adding a turbo versus adding a supercharger to do it right.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:45 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by creseida
What kind of life expectancy is there on these SC's before they need to be rebuilt? For example, the G-lader in the VW Corrado tends to start spitting Apex strips after about 80k miles, necessitating a rebuild.

How many miles could one reasonably expect to get out of these before needing a rebuild or replacement? What kind of service do these SC's require to keep them going?

Thanks
I will check on the life expectancy with Stephen, I don't know the answer to that off the top of my head.

The only maintenance the units require are an oil change (on the unit itself since it is self contained) every 6k miles or so with procharger's oil.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:42 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
Denverpete's got it! The Road Warrior. A true classic.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0790729342/103-3251884-4250232?v=glance&n=130
Old 02-10-2006, 07:11 AM   #48

PorscheDoc,

How is the progress on your 3.2? Is the 3.2 similar enough to the 2.7 that there won't be much Development to get it to work as well?

I see on your website that the 2.7 could be available as soon a late April; is this still on track?

Any pricing on the 2.7?

By the way, it turns out that the Toyota MR2 Supercharger is actually on an electric clutch. I believe it's engine-managed so there isn't a button you can push to turn it on/off yourself, though if I had an MR2, a button on the dash (or, like in Mad Max II: Road Warrior, a button on the stick shift) would be the FIRST mod that I would make. Maybe that could be a later "option" you can offer. :-)

Just curious, would another option for a supercharger be using an OEM unit like the one found on those Mercedes "Kompressor" cars? I'm thinking that a unit like that would be made in the thousands and for many years would be available as a spare part. In the case of the Mercedes unit, presumably it has gone through tons of testing, enough for them to put their name on it.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:23 PM   #49

Wow, talk about being spread thin, haven't gotten on the board in awhile.

The 2.5L kit will be released next wednesday IIRC, we are waiting on shipments to come in currently, so finally are rolling on that. We did the final tune on the 2.5L about 3 weeks ago, so everything is a go. The 3.2 is on the lift and we have fabbed up the headers, and are waiting for our supplier to copy them. I played around a little bit on Josh's 3.2L today with the blower oil change, and it looks like you can do it with the blower in place. The top fill port is tight to get to, but I have modified an allen wrench to work. Tomorrow, I will make a custom fill tube, which will be accessable from the engine compartment for those who don't want to do it the other way. Draining the blower is not an issue. Either way, the oil change on the blower shouldn't be an issue. I will be changing the oil on a 2.5L blower tomorrow, so i will find out exactly how it is going to go. I will report the news tomorrow.

We are expecting the 2.7 to be virtually identical to the 3.2L, so that should be an easy in and out to check that. We know the exhaust is going to be the same, which is our biggest issue with the 3.2L right now. After the 3.2L goes live, we will need a couple weeks to get a 2.7 in the shop and go through an install and make sure everything is the same. There *should* be no additional fabrication required. If this is the case, the cost will be identical to the 3.2L.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:55 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Wow, talk about being spread thin, haven't gotten on the board in awhile.

The 2.5L kit will be released next wednesday IIRC, we are waiting on shipments to come in currently, so finally are rolling on that. We did the final tune on the 2.5L about 3 weeks ago, so everything is a go. The 3.2 is on the lift and we have fabbed up the headers, and are waiting for our supplier to copy them.
Sounds like things are falling into place quite well and just in time for the driving season.

Continued good luck!
Old 02-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #51

Ok, good news fellas. I replaced the oil in the supercharger today in less than a half hour. It took a little more time than it should have as i searched for the right tool, but ends up being a fairly easy change, with the blower left in place. Pull the drain plug, drain, replace, pull the fill plug, make a custom fill hose, lol, and one bottle later, the oil is changed. I was afraid you would not be able to get the fill hole open without dropping the blower, but with a 3/16" stubby allen socket and a flex head rachet, it comes right off. Very good news indeed. Filling it is a little tricky, i used the old transmission fill tactics. Take a bottle of oil, attach a long hose to it. Put the other end in the fill hole. Turn bottle upside down, poke small hole in bottom of bottle. Take compressed air and apply it gently to the hole, and the fluid shoots out of the bottle, through the hose, and into the blower We will still have the optional fill hose available which you can access from the engine compartment, but good to know it isn't absolutely necessary.

Now on to the 3.2L intake pipe.......
Old 02-26-2006, 07:20 AM   #52

After a year and a half of reseach, development, and testing, the 2.5L kit is live! The parts for the first run of 10 kits are on the way to us now. We will sort the parts, package, and get them ready to ship ASAP. We will be taking orders starting this week. I would expect the first run will go pretty quick. I will work up an official release sometime today, in between a few other things here at the shop.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:34 PM   #53

That's very good news. Thanks for the update Doc.

Let us know about the dyno results on the 3.2 and the 2.7
Old 02-26-2006, 04:47 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
After a year and a half of reseach, development, and testing, the 2.5L kit is live! The parts for the first run of 10 kits are on the way to us now. We will sort the parts, package, and get them ready to ship ASAP. We will be taking orders starting this week. I would expect the first run will go pretty quick. I will work up an official release sometime today, in between a few other things here at the shop.
Another question Doc, is your kit designed to be easily installed? I won't be doing it of course (even though I'd love to; it's more of a lack-of-time thing). But I wonder if I need to take it to the Porsche dealer (or someone intimately knowledgeable about Boxsters) or if a good mechanic with decent tools can do it.

For example, will the engine have to be dropped down?

I've been reading up on superchargers and a 5 psi boost should mean that 35% more fuel is needed. On some cars, the fuel delivery mechanism needs to be improved. Is this the case with our Boxsters?

I've asked about the infamous supercharger whine before. Is there room in the Boxster for additional sound insulation like Dynamat?
Old 02-28-2006, 04:28 AM   #55

Quote:
Another question Doc, is your kit designed to be easily installed? I won't be doing it of course (even though I'd love to; it's more of a lack-of-time thing). But I wonder if I need to take it to the Porsche dealer (or someone intimately knowledgeable about Boxsters) or if a good mechanic with decent tools can do it.

For example, will the engine have to be dropped down?

I've been reading up on superchargers and a 5 psi boost should mean that 35% more fuel is needed. On some cars, the fuel delivery mechanism needs to be improved. Is this the case with our Boxsters?

I've asked about the infamous supercharger whine before. Is there room in the Boxster for additional sound insulation like Dynamat?
The install will take roughly 12-15 hours depending on the mechanic. If they have an idea of how superchargers work, or are at all familiar with regular work on the boxster, then the instructions will literally walk them through the install. There are some tight clearences for getting some of the hoses on, but nothing too terrible. This is all done with the engine in place.

For the 2.5L kit, the stock injectors are big enough to provide the extra fuel rate as determined by the program. On the 2.7 and 3.2 we will be using larger injectors.

After driving one of the cars for a few days, I don't think the supercharger whine is much louder than the engine normally is. A different sound yes, but definetly not obnoxious.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:43 PM   #56

Hi PorscheDoc

I am quite excited about your supercharger for the 2.5 but one question that remains is in regard to the the low RPM boost when driving around cities.

Since your supercharger is one of the centrifugal types, it may not develop appreciable boost at low RPM (Boost Threshold), but still uses up prodigious amounts of engine power to operate thus possibly eating up more fuel even when just doing the daily shopping.

Do you have any data in regard to this?

Thanks
rufio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:48 PM   #57

Oh btw, great song on your flash intro website ! do you have the name of that song. I would love to put that track on whilst driving. thanks
rufio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:39 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufio
Oh btw, great song on your flash intro website ! do you have the name of that song. I would love to put that track on whilst driving. thanks
"How Soon Is Now" by Tatu, (originally by The Smith's.)
Old 03-01-2006, 06:58 PM   #59

If I may....The way the blower works you are correct it makes its peak boost up top. However based on the design of the C1 and the efficiency it creates positive pressure down low. Not a ton, but with some timing and fuel the change is enough to bring the lower end up over the OEM spec car.

I will need to pull the dyno sheets as I don't recall the exact amount it was. Bottom line is with proper programming and the positive pressure the unit has a gain across the board.

Stephen
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufio
Hi PorscheDoc

I am quite excited about your supercharger for the 2.5 but one question that remains is in regard to the the low RPM boost when driving around cities.

Since your supercharger is one of the centrifugal types, it may not develop appreciable boost at low RPM (Boost Threshold), but still uses up prodigious amounts of engine power to operate thus possibly eating up more fuel even when just doing the daily shopping.

Do you have any data in regard to this?

Thanks
porschephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:52 PM   #60

What would you estimate the 0-60 is on a stock 2.5 fitted with your supercharger?