Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2006, 10:56 AM   #21

There is one audi performance shop here that is top notch, I would think w/ some guidance they could perform the work. I would hate to be the guinee pig for them though. Of course a nice long road trip would be exciting. Would the newly installed supercharger be able to handle a 1000+ mile trip so soon after being put on? Two more questions: Is the entire ecu pulled and replaced or do u flash the upgraded fuel/air delivery ratio through a cpu linked to ecu? Does this whole procedure require any replacement sparkplugs, O2 sensors, header/exhaust piping, or air intake changes, and would need to be done at the same time or before hand? I'll most likely direct my future questions to your place of business.

Old 01-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #22

On our first prototype car, the customer came to pick up the car ahead of schedule. The pipes we had made him were the only set we had, so with him waiting in the waiting room, we had to pull everything off the car, copy the pipes as best as we could (so we could send them out to be plasticmolded), and put the car back together. We put it back together quickly, which was a pretty fast dry run, at 5:30, i pulled it out of the shop, he hopped in it, and drove NONSTOP from Kansas City to Arizona. So yes...it will make the trip. This isn't something we like to do though, I like to have an extra day to make sure everything checks out etc to ensure no issues, but so far there hasn't been one in all the times we have pulled the kit off and put it back on with the 2 cars that have been prototypes.

The air intake is an evo cold air intake, which is connected to the custom intake pipes for the supercharger, etc. The headers and cats and o2's stay the same on the 2.5L. The spark plugs stay the same as well. When done inhouse, we will flash the ECU through the OBDII port and takes about 20 minutes. Out of house, would require the installer to pull the ecu (takes but a few minutes) and send it to us to flash. Turn around is a day or 2, so if it is pulled at the beginning of the install and sent out, it will be back quickly. With that being said, if there is a good audi shop, they should be able to handle the install without a problem. I personally am not a big fan of working on audi's, so if you can work on them, you can definetly do this job
Old 01-19-2006, 10:04 PM   #23

Quite interested in a future supercharger for my 2001 2.7L

Questions:

1) Not serious: can it be driven by a pulley on an electric clutch so that I can switch it on/off at will? Guess what movie is inspiring this question?

2) More seriously: Will there be a noticeable supercharger whine? I love the sound of the Boxster now and would NOT like there to be a noticeable whine.

3) Is there any appreciable change in the exhaust note with the supercharger? Again I love the sound now and wouldn't want it to change much (a teeny bit lower and a teeny bit louder would be fine--the emphasis on TEENY).
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by socratic
Quite interested in a future supercharger for my 2001 2.7L

Questions:

1) Not serious: can it be driven by a pulley on an electric clutch so that I can switch it on/off at will? Guess what movie is inspiring this question?

2) More seriously: Will there be a noticeable supercharger whine? I love the sound of the Boxster now and would NOT like there to be a noticeable whine.

3) Is there any appreciable change in the exhaust note with the supercharger? Again I love the sound now and wouldn't want it to change much (a teeny bit lower and a teeny bit louder would be fine--the emphasis on TEENY).
1) I'll go with No (And i am horrible at movie trivia, lol )
2) There is a supercharger whine, it is not overly loud like some blowers.
3) Doesn't change the exhaust note enough to notice. The are more likely to hear the air going into the cold air intake more than the exhaust.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:43 AM   #25

Supercharger, $7000. Added whine and noise, no charge. A reported 100 additional horses, priceless!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:24 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
1) I'll go with No (And i am horrible at movie trivia, lol )
2) There is a supercharger whine, it is not overly loud like some blowers.
3) Doesn't change the exhaust note enough to notice. The are more likely to hear the air going into the cold air intake more than the exhaust.
Is the whine comparable to that of a Volkswagen Corrado? Let me know if you can think of a car with a similar whine. I'd like to find one locally and listen to it.

A friend of mine once had a stock Toyota MR2 with its factory supercharger and I didn't think there was much whine. Then again, I've seen people drive around with the whiney roots-type superchargers in their muscle cars (too whiney).

What this the timeframe for your supercharger kit for the 2.7L?
Old 01-20-2006, 09:35 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by socratic
Is the whine comparable to that of a Volkswagen Corrado? Let me know if you can think of a car with a similar whine. I'd like to find one locally and listen to it.

A friend of mine once had a stock Toyota MR2 with its factory supercharger and I didn't think there was much whine. Then again, I've seen people drive around with the whiney roots-type superchargers in their muscle cars (too whiney).

What this the timeframe for your supercharger kit for the 2.7L?
I would say that it is not nearly as loud as a roots based supercharger that you would find on a muscle car, but not as quiet as a factory integrated supercharger.

We are currently working on getting the 3.2L done, then we will move to the 2.7 once we get a prototype car to work on. We are so backed up at the moment, i would maybe sometime during the summer....
Old 01-20-2006, 11:26 AM   #28

944 Turbo eh? nice please post pics some time. I always wanted one of those in white when I was a kid back in the early 80's. I thought it was much more 'modern' looking than the beetle-esque 911. But Tony Montana's 928 in Scarface was the coolest 80's car. I didn't like the color of Tom Cruise's Porsche in Risky Business, looked like a color your fahter would pick.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:18 AM   #29

Quote:
We are currently working on getting the 3.2L done, then we will move to the 2.7 once we get a prototype car to work on. We are so backed up at the moment, i would maybe sometime during the summer....
Looking forward to the 3.2L. I also asked TPC but I don't believe they have anything done yet, not even the turbo as they suggested. I guess patience is a virtue

I don't mind the whining noise really as long as it doesn't disintegrate the engine (fast) and of course, with additional 50-100 horses
Old 01-21-2006, 06:27 AM   #30

If it were me, I would not trust the 2.5 motor to hold together with a new supercharger on top.

Just my opinion.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:15 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
944 Turbo eh? nice please post pics some time. I always wanted one of those in white when I was a kid back in the early 80's. I thought it was much more 'modern' looking than the beetle-esque 911. But Tony Montana's 928 in Scarface was the coolest 80's car. I didn't like the color of Tom Cruise's Porsche in Risky Business, looked like a color your fahter would pick.

I'll dig up some pics for you, I took it off the road this winter to paint the hood and front end, as the paint was starting to chip in a few places, plus the numberous rock chips in the front end. While i had the cover off, i filled the side markers and made it a euro front bumper. I have everything primed, sanded, and ready to paint, just waiting for the weather to get a little warmer. After the paint is done, then who knows, probably sell it and step up to a early 911 or something. I'll be stepping down in performance, but its kinda of a "been there done that" for me at this point...on to something new. I would love to do an RSR conversion on a early 70's 911. I also love the looks of the 928, but it feels like driving an M1 Tank, lol. Those cars are big.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:46 PM   #32

Quote:
I would say that it is not nearly as loud as a roots based supercharger that you would find on a muscle car, but not as quiet as a factory integrated supercharger.

I'm curious about why it won't be as quiet as a factory integrated supercharger. The one on a Corrado looks bolted on with no special sound insulation around it.

Is the supercharger you plan to use not a normal one? That is, shouldn't it be similar to the Corrado?

I'm asking because it's wishful thinking--that is, I'm REALLY WISHING you'd say it's quiet so I have no excuse not to get one.

Too bad you're so busy. My Boxster has been sitting for 2 months now due to winter. You could have had it for that long and more. :-)
Old 01-24-2006, 01:49 PM   #33

Question- why am I upgrading my brakes if I add a supercharger? They stopped from speed X fine now, I just get to speed X faster (how sweet is that)
graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard
Question- why am I upgrading my brakes if I add a supercharger? They stopped from speed X fine now, I just get to speed X faster (how sweet is that)
Because with a SC you will tend to be going faster more often. A brake upgrade isn't so much to increase braking force but to allow you to "HAVE" brakes for a longer period of time. Think resistance to fade as the main reason to upgrade when you add gobs of HP.

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930
Because with a SC you will tend to be going faster more often. A brake upgrade isn't so much to increase braking force but to allow you to "HAVE" brakes for a longer period of time. Think resistance to fade as the main reason to upgrade when you add gobs of HP.
Hi,

My theory is that Speed is Speed and if the Brakes are adequate as is, only adding more Mass changes that equation.

But, it's like changing the Drapes in the Living Room... which make the Carpet look old... which makes the Sofa look Dated... which makes the Paint seem tired....

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard
Because it is a perfect excuse to slap on a pair of Big Reds

In response to the loudness again, the supecharger is a Procharger supercharger, they have arguably the best supercharger out there, and compete directly with Vortec. The supercharger sits about 2 feet from the driver, even with the sound padding between the driver and the blower, you are still going to hear it.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:51 AM   #37

I say bigger brakes are needed and I'll put them in after I do my SC add on... why?

Right now, I can make it from a stoplight near my house to the freeway light, reaching about 60 mph. With the supercharger, I might make it 5-10 mph faster, which means I'll need more braking power to handle the increase in speed over the same distance.

Now I don't do much street racing from light to light (actually, I don't do any at all), but I figure that braking ability should rise with horsepower to keep things safe. There's only one thing more important than going fast... being able to stop faster to speed up again in the future.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:36 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I say bigger brakes are needed and I'll put them in after I do my SC add on... why?

Right now, I can make it from a stoplight near my house to the freeway light, reaching about 60 mph. With the supercharger, I might make it 5-10 mph faster, which means I'll need more braking power to handle the increase in speed over the same distance.

Now I don't do much street racing from light to light (actually, I don't do any at all), but I figure that braking ability should rise with horsepower to keep things safe. There's only one thing more important than going fast... being able to stop faster to speed up again in the future.
Hi,

As already stated, the biggest gain from using bigger brakes is gong to be their Fade Resistance, and this only shows up in Rapid Repeated Use, such as on a Track. If you're not Braking every 5-10sec., adequate time has passed for the Brakes to cool, about 20-30sec. is sufficient time to avoid Fade.

If the current Brakes are adequate, they're just that - sufficient to do the job. Just because you get to 60MPH Faster doesn't mean it has suddenly, myteriously, become more difficult to Brake to a Stop from 60MPH.

If you simply want to add them as Automotive Jewelry, that's perfectly FINE. But, simply adding a Supercharger is no justification for upgrading the Brakes.

If you just want them, then go ahead. But not for the sake of some convoluted logic which says that because you are making more power, your current Brakes are somehow automatically inadequate - you're OFF the power when you apply your Brakes anyway. If your Driving Style or Conditions haven't changed, the OEM Brakes are not at all inadequate...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-25-2006 at 10:01 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:45 AM   #39

Jim, you just saved me $3800.00. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2006, 09:01 AM   #40

Ditto on Jim.

Unless you are tracking, I would forget it!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote