Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2006, 09:03 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Doc, can you tell us how your SC kit compares to the TPC one that's been out a while? Does yours have more boost, is it better made, runs cooler, or what?
One of the biggest differences is that the TPC kit uses piggyback programming on the ECU, instead of repograming the ECU properly. In our eyes, that is cutting corners....is it a little cheaper...yes, but TPC has also had a few problems with their kits as well....this is one of the biggest reasons. Proper attention needs to be payed to the engine management system when you are modifying a car to this extent. Piggyback programming is a cheap, and not quite so reliable way of doing this. Also, the TPC kit uses metal piping, which is made seperatly for each kit, meaning that the kit fitment may not be as good from one kit to another. We spent the money and had all of our air pipes plastic rolomolded, to give the car a more "stock" appearance, and to insure one pipe is exactly the same as the next. If you look at TPC pipes, you can see the welds etc. On our metal prototype pipes, you can not even see the welds, and those were for first time assembly only! TPC's kit puts out about 210hp (to the wheels) on a dynojet, our kit puts out about 230 on a mustang dyno. We both run similar boost, about 4.5-5psi. This is about 20% of what the supercharger can put out. We are using a self contained C1 procharger blower, while TPC uses an Eaton roots style blower. We feel our install time is going to be about 12-15 hours, and TPC claims 16, so it is in the same ballpark. I won't say anything bad about the TPC kit, but I do feel that we have done a lot of things better on our kit. If you search the internet, you will find out enough about TPC kits to make an informed decision.

Bsmuatti: When I say fired off, I meant turned the key with everything installed and the car started right up....everything was checked over and is kosher. Next up...the ECU tuning on the dyno.