Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2006, 10:09 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusivecar
Had a C5, Z-28, and even a Lotus Elise. I will never purchase any of those cars again. I have never tracked any of these cars so I won't go there...but...on the street the Boxster S I currently own has been the absolute best. As quick as the Z-28, a bit slower than the C5, and I truly believe quicker than the Lotus. The Vette was basically a flexable piece of ****************. Sorry to those that own them...but come on. This car felt like a HUGE PIG that just wanted to twist apart on every uneven patch of road. NEVER FELT SAFE! The C6 looks much tighter due to its smaller dimensions but I just don't trust Chevy did enough to firm up the car. I vowed to never buy the same car twice until I purchased the Boxster. I have never felt as home and secure as in this car. I sold my 3 month old Lotus Elise for it! I will buy a Boxster again! It's just that good of a feeling! I have come to realize only recently that large, high horsepower engines don't make a car. It should be a total sensory experience combining power, handling, style, AND the secure feeling which lacked in all the above cars!
Hi,

It's incredible to me that you've owned all these cars and this is all you came away with. Every Car is different, not necessarily better, but different. Each offers it's own experience.

Once you've had it, you've had it - no need to repeat... So many Cars... so little time...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:37 AM   #42

Sheeesh... just drive both and pick the one that you like best. My comment from 20 years ago was to point out the difference in "feel" that still exists today. They are all good cars, its just what YOU will enjoy driving more.
rteichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:42 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteichman
Sheeesh... just drive both and pick the one that you like best. My comment from 20 years ago was to point out the difference in "feel" that still exists today. They are all good cars, its just what YOU will enjoy driving more.
Indeed. It is easy to forget how much superior today's cars are over the same model of 20 yrs ago.

I have driven some older 911s, man, I tell you, they were crude, but they were fun and great IN THEIR DAY!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:05 AM   #44

Quote:
Had a C5, Z-28, and even a Lotus Elise. I will never purchase any of those cars again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
It's incredible to me that you've owned all these cars and this is all you came away with.
What's incredible to me is that a big V8 guy whose had a Vette and Z28 (ZZ Top fan?) would even consider an Elise!
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:23 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
What's incredible to me is that a big V8 guy whose had a Vette and Z28 (ZZ Top fan?) would even consider an Elise!

I'm 31. I guess you can say I finally "get it" in terms of finding a car that hits all the right spots. When I was in H.S. a Porsche was only a dream. You would NEVER be caught driving an eco-import such as a Honda. The big V-8 mentality was the only "right" choice. Fast forward a few years and I think we all can say that options open up as we go through life. The brute V-8 didn't mean as much as a "total"experiance now does. My opinion..the Boxster has been the only "all around, total experiance car" I have driven to this point. It does all extremely well. Not just one thing.

Last edited by xclusivecar; 01-08-2006 at 09:26 AM.
xclusivecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:25 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

It's incredible to me that you've owned all these cars and this is all you came away with. Every Car is different, not necessarily better, but different. Each offers it's own experience.

Once you've had it, you've had it - no need to repeat... So many Cars... so little time...

I have a lot more to say but my typing can begin to ramble on and on and on...
Old 01-08-2006, 10:16 AM   #47

Quote:
When I was in H.S. a Porsche was only a dream. You would NEVER be caught driving an eco-import such as a Honda. The big V-8 mentality was the only "right" choice.
When I was in High School, I was into Volvos... seriously. I would have got my butt kicked at your high school DAILY!

I'm not so much into Sweden nowadays or old cars... Ironically, I think this would be a cool car to have...

Anybody familar with these here?
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:19 AM   #48
bmussatti

Wow, great looking car!
Old 01-09-2006, 01:05 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
Anybody familar with these here?
Ahhh Mr. Simon Templar's (alias The Saint) car
rteichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:10 PM   #50

Hi,

I had the 1800S Wagon, fairly Sporty and overall not a bad Car at all. Never gave me any trouble, but the performance wasn't on the top of the list for it's day...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:42 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
rbennett, I am not very good with personalized plates....so, what does yours mean? Channel...like the perfume??
It's a German word for rapid movement ( as Donny Baker sez "bob & tom in the morning" look it up!!!, I gotta go now)

My great grandfather is from Germany, ya think I knew?? (lazy a$$ CA type of guy)

Sorry didn't see your post till now.

2000 2.7 Lapis Blue Boxster, Sports Pkg, Lit, Tip, Exhaust, De amber'fied
1983 911 SC Coupe 3.0 Gaurds Red (restoration, in pieces)
199? 993 Coupe Gaurds Red (lurking for....)
rbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:42 AM   #52

OK.... I'll play.
To those from the 80's... you can argue as much as you want, but I would suggest you compare 944 Turbos to Corvettes in the same place the manufacturers did: The Showroom Stock series. I think you may find the records there eye opening.

I went from a '74 911 to an '88 924S to a '95 Vette, and then traded that in on an '89 911. Put a '98 986 in the mix, and I think I can compare.

The Corvette was a neat car, there were gobs of power, and it always went where I put it. The 986 was nimble, quick, and it always went where I put it.

Quality is an issue. I had an alignment problem with the 'Vette that NO ONE could figure out. What was worse was when it wore out the rear brakes before the front. That in itself was not an issue, but when I asked the dealer how it was that the left rear pad was down to metal, and the right rear pad still had 6 to 8 mm of pad left, he had no real answer, but suggested that if I paid for them to put on a new set, and it continued to wear that way, they might consider it a warranty issue. I had a similar frustration with a simple horn repair: if the temperature went below about 25 degrees F, the horn would not work. I asked to have that looked at, and the Service Manager said "well, you really shouldn't drive it in the winter". Hmm.

Now, before one starts insisting on the infalibility of the Porsche, I'd like to mention not only the Carrera chain tensioners I put on the 911 (and does anyone know anything about dylavar studs?), but also the 986 rear main seal.

So one might ask "was ist die untershied?"... and my opinion comes down to this:

From a driving perspective, the Corvette can "stay with" almost anything on the road, but the input it sends back to the driver is dampened. One thing GM will always do, especially after the Corvair (own one of those, too, a '65 Turbo drop top) is make a car that is predictable at the limits, that will not challenge Joe Six Pack. The Porsche, on the other hand, sends feedback to the driver and if the driver knows what to do with it, he can make the car really sing. Anyone can drive the Corvette quickly. To get the most out of the Porsche (and it's pretty good even if you don't get the most out of it) takes a little bit of talent and a lot of skill. The Corvette rewards the engineers, the Porsche rewards the driver.

From a quality perspective, well... things break. That's going to happen. Then what? My experience with Porsche dealers (the guys you're going to want to talk to if the car is under warranty and the guys you'll want to avoid if it's not) has been very good... they want you to come back (there are exceptions, and it's not like it used to be, but I have had good experiences). My experience with Chevrolet dealers was outlined above.

I probably won't buy another Corvette, unless I can find a really clean (or really needs to be restored) '67 some day. I have another 911 (this one a '74 Carrera) and I'm considering the purchase of a 987. I just can't decide if I want that or an Elise. There, the Porsche is much more refined, the Elise a go-kart. What I really want to know is why can't Porsche take a 987, strip out the non-essentials, get the wieght down to about 2300 pounds or less... and sell one of those. That I'd buy. The 986 was supposed to be a "modern 550". So why does it have power seats and tiptronic?

Trakehner is offline   Reply With Quote