Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2006, 06:48 AM   #1

Where does the full size 'spare' go?

Hey,

I blew a rear tire on my S last night. Dark, country road. All driveways were sloped and gravel. Drove less about a mile on it and found a church with a paved parking lot and proceeded to put the spare on.

All that went ok, even quickly. No rim damage either.

Anyway, I went to put the spare in the front trunk, and the hood wouldn't close. I tried the rear though I knew it wouldn't fit. I tried the front again and got the 'safety latch' closed, but after thinking about that, decided against it.

So, I turned my floormats upside down, placed them on the passenger seat, and sat the tire on that.

Good thing I didn't have a passenger.

Anyone know what the official stragety is?

-James
'01 Boxster S

BTW, I have Bridgestone S-03's on order.

jamscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:24 AM   #2

Great question, as this has never happened to me. Did you at least try the rear trunk, as that would be my first guess.

Yes, the front trunk is useless!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:24 AM   #3

I think the solution (passenger seat) is the only place it will fit inside the car. Did you try to put it in kinda front and back in the front trunk (at an angle instead of perpendicular like the small spare sits)?

I can picture my wife's face as I drove off with the spare in the passenger seat, leaving her stranded on the side of the road.

I guess I could drop the top, put a cloth of some sort over the clamshell and set it behind the roll bars and tie it down with some rope in a pinch.

While this may never happen to the rest of us, it's certainly worth thinking about and preparing for should it happen so we don't have to leave a girl or a rim on the side of the road! The rim would be very expensive to replace, and the girl would be so pissed that a $10 bunch of daisies wouldn't repair the damage. I think jewelry would be mandated.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 01-05-2006 at 07:27 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:30 AM   #4

I usually keep an old tarp or beach towel in my cars - useful to lie on when looking under the car or make roadside repairs. I guess I would use that to protect the pass. seat. But like Randall, where does the wife go?
Could you put the tire in the rear trunk, tie the lid down with a piece of string (very un-Porsche-like, but hey) and head for home/tire shop?
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:49 AM   #5

Simple; you could put the tarp on your girl/wife and set the tire on her lap. Instruct her to hold it securely so as not to interfere with gear changes.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:27 AM   #6

Seems to me a repair kit is in order.

Ditch the spare and use the space?

Old 01-05-2006, 08:40 AM   #7

I don't think a passenger holding a rear tire with the top up will work.

And everyone knows you get a flat tire when it's pouring down rain and you have your best clothing on, heading to a big meeting, a wedding, or whatever!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:50 AM   #8

I tried the rear trunk, it was a no go.

BTW, these are the 18's ....265-35-18.

RandallNeighbour:

I didn't think of putting it in at another angle in the front trunk, but I don't think it will work.

Brucelee:

I had that thought until last night. The whole inner sidewall was ripped almost halfway around the rim. A repair kit would have done me no good.

Oh well, new tires are on the way.

-James
jamscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:52 AM   #9

I think the flat tire storage issue is the reason for the Porsche Roadside Assistance program that comes with new ones.
Maybe we're supposed to do like the racers and drive on the flat tire until we get back to the "pits". Everybody has a half-dozen mounted tires and rims just sitting in the garage at home, don't they?
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:09 AM   #10

Hi,

The ticket is to have a long Bungy Cord and an old Blanket or Beach Towel stored in the Trunk. Then lay the Flat in the Rear Trunk extending out the back and then place the Towel/blanket over the Flat, to protect both the Trunk Lid and other Bodywork, and Bungy the Trunk Lid closed - you're only going to be transporting it a short distance.

Absent this, keep a PadLock and Chain in the Trunk and then Chain and Lock the Flat to a Tree until you can return with a Larger Vehicle... Any Port in a Storm...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #11

2005's and up come with a goo-like repair kit. No spare at all.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:04 AM   #12
KronixSpeed

interesting topic

i have had to replace my rear tire with a spare on the side of the road. best part my friend was driving the car, as he wanted to "test drive". oh and ya rainnnn damit. so i was lucky, i have 17inch rims n so on the angle in the front trunk went the damaged tire.

i also wanted to remove the front spare and buy the repair kit. well a great point was made, that his tire was ripped apart. this has happend to me in other cars where the repair kit would not solve anything. the last thing that i would want is to wait for a tow truck, can't justify calling someone to fix my blown tire.

so i guess i will have to keep my spare tire, cant lose the weight. guess when i buy 18inch rims im gonna have a problem, cause it seems like a rear 18 with 265 will not fit anywhere.

very odd, never thought of this ordeal
Old 01-05-2006, 01:59 PM   #13

So summarizing the options;

1). Lay it on the passenger seat(if no passenger)

2). Place it in the rear trunk and secure the lid with rope

3). Call Roadside assistance

4). Leave the wheel roadside; locking it to an immovable object or hiding it in the woods for a return pick up

5). Use a tire "fix in a can" if possible.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:41 PM   #14

I was able to place a 17" rear wheel in the front trunk and close it all the way.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:41 PM   #15

I called Porsche roadsidte assistance once.........once.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:50 PM   #16

This is a guy I saw at my dealer.

I watched him drive in with the little red spare on the left rear. Then he picked up his 18" Carrera wheel that was at the dealer for a new tire.

I watched him to see what he was going to do to take it home so he could replace it for the spare.

He threw it in the rear trunk and used a bungee cord. Then took off.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote