Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #1

I Won My "No Front Plate" Case Today!!!

I got a no front plate ticket in early May. Cop was going to give me a warning ticket only, that morning, but couldn't because I had received a warning (same stretch of road) in late May of 2012. So, 2 warnings in less than 12 months.

I paid the $120 on site that morning.

Arrive in the courtroom today in a little north-central Illinois town (Freeport) for my 2:30 bench hearing with the Judge.

A young state's attorney guy walks over to me as I sit down (court already in session) and introduces himself to me. Very nice guy. Reads the ticket, and says, "We dismiss these if they are fixed". I said great and handed him my 6 photographs showing how I installed the $149 Rennline tow-hook bracket with the plate.

2 minutes later I get called up to the bench with the Judge. He reads the charges, and turns to the SA. Young guys says they are dropping the charges since it's been corrected.

Judge says to me "do you agree". I say "yes sir". He says "dismissed". I say, "thank you". Done. I was out of there by 2:43

Here's the best part!

Then he says to me, "So, bummer you've got to put a front plate on that beautiful Poorsh". I say, "yes sir". And we both smile.

Clerk confirms my mailing address to send me my $120 back!!

Walking out of the courtroom the policewoman who issued me the tickets walks up and shakes my hand. Says "hello Mr. Muxxxxx, glad we could take care of that for you. How's that Poorsh doing?" I said, "great, dirty".

What a great day!:dance:

Should I have told the Judge and State Cop it's pronounced P O R S C H E ??? LOL!

Last edited by Flavor 987S; 06-25-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #2

Garage
WOOHOO!!.....well done.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #3

Congratulations .

This is how it works in California ....

But they charge you for appearing in court even if its dismissed !!!

It makes the saying "walking out of court a free man" kinda ironic when you have to pay to walk out a free man
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #4

Garage
Flavor,

Did you notice their keychains ? It's amazing how far the influence of the Strategic World Command extends.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #5

So you got a ticket for no front plate. So you then affixed a front plate. You go to court and they say 'since you saw the error of your ways and are now complying with the law, we'll withdraw the ticket'

So how did you win anything? It cost you $149 for the holder, plus it cost you at least a couple of hours of your time. Seems to me you would have been better off displaying your plate in the beginning. Would have saved you all the hassle of being stopped (twice), plus the aggravation of the ticket and court.
Rickinduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickinduncan View Post
So how did you win anything? It cost you $149 for the holder, plus it cost you at least a couple of hours of your time. Seems to me you would have been better off displaying your plate in the beginning. Would have saved you all the hassle of being stopped (twice), plus the aggravation of the ticket and court.
Agreed.

Civil disobedience just isn't what it used to be.

And this is just another great thing about getting old............we don't concern ourselves with bull**** like this. Just run with the damn plate, for cryin' out loud.

But that's me, and I'm just sayin'..........

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #7

I'm worried about this and my annual inspection as I no longer have plate holes on my bumper. I had them sealed up on my gt3 bumper.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #8

Right On, Man!

That's cool! Glad you got off. I got my ticket last year. Wrote a letter and tried to get it dismissed. Didn't work. Paid $60.

I still run without a front plate! I will not conform!

(I'll just improve my letter writing skills
silverboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #9

Hmmm got nailed for this as "granny"(literally grandma dynamite dressed as a police officer) had no place to aim her lazer gun.....and come to think of it I don't have an SWC key chain. Granny must have spotted that before writing the ticket!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:39 AM   #10

Garage
I'll be sure to find someone who can work Photoshop if I ever get a ticket.

A front plate ain't happening on my car. Of course living so close to a non-front plate state (Indiana), it's no wonder I haven't had even a warning ticket in over 10 years for no front plate.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjazz View Post
WOOHOO!!.....well done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c View Post
Congratulations .

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboxter View Post
That's cool! Glad you got off.
Thanks, guys!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:01 AM   #12

Just for an experiment I'd argue that the Boxster S was not designed to have a front plate since it will disrupt the airflow going into the front center oil cooler.

I'd ask for an exception to the law because I don't want to chance blowing my $15k engine.

In California I'm sure you could find a loophole with all the arcane and ridiculous laws on the books here.

Perhaps arguing that the extra air resistance causes higher fuel mileage and is therefor environmentally unfriendly and increasing my carbon footprint.

I can also make the point out that the front plate would be useless to them anyway because they'd be lucky if they could even catch up to me and hence only have the opportunity to see the rear plate anyway.

Nice going on your ticket, finally they recognize who is paying their salary and deserves a break for such trivial matters.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Just for an experiment I'd argue that the Boxster S was not designed to have a front plate since it will disrupt the airflow going into the front center oil cooler.
I don't think so. The 987S does not have a center oil cooler. Only the Tips do, for the tranny cooler, not oil. The Boxster S does have an additional engine mounted oil cooler, IIRC.

I got the ticket in this:
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #14

Libertarian rant of the morning

I'd prob buckle under and put the plate on if my state required it, but heck, if I didn't care about the beautiful lines of my car, there are a lot of other more practical car options out there, and...
You gotta draw the line somewhere at unnecessary government intrusion.
By the time we get old, we are tired of drawing the line anywhere, and just jump through the hoops. We justify mental/moral/physical laziness as practicality (you can't fight every minor battle, can you?)
Soon, it becomes the norm, and tomorrows youth act like yesterdays aged and tired, and the price of freedom inches up.
We should enjoy our cars before the state recognizes us for the selfish criminals we are, abusing the resources of our country for the sake of something as antisocial and unproductive as plain old fun.

Congrats Flavor on your win, and for taking up the case for all of us more lazy types. It sounds like the both the judge and the policewoman see your point, and that is at least a tiny start in the process of getting the law changed to eradicate this tiny bit of extraneous bureaucracy.
But before I'm too old to drive, I expect there will be an exorbitant tax for those of us that don't agree to install self-monitoring GPS with reporting capability to monitor our location/speed/traffic compliance. Or maybe it will be a flat-out requirement. After all, we have been told over and over that driving is a privilege, not a right, and that the freedom envisioned by the founding fathers did not include automotive travel.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
I'd prob buckle under and put the plate on if my state required it, but heck, if I didn't care about the beautiful lines of my car, there are a lot of other more practical car options out there, and...
You gotta draw the line somewhere at unnecessary government intrusion.
By the time we get old, we are tired of drawing the line anywhere, and just jump through the hoops. We justify mental/moral/physical laziness as practicality (you can't fight every minor battle, can you?)
Soon, it becomes the norm, and tomorrows youth act like yesterdays aged and tired, and the price of freedom inches up.
We should enjoy our cars before the state recognizes us for the selfish criminals we are, abusing the resources of our country for the sake of something as antisocial and unproductive as plain old fun.

Congrats Flavor on your win, and for taking up the case for all of us more lazy types. It sounds like the both the judge and the policewoman see your point, and that is at least a tiny start in the process of getting the law changed to eradicate this tiny bit of extraneous bureaucracy.
But before I'm too old to drive, I expect there will be an exorbitant tax for those of us that don't agree to install self-monitoring GPS with reporting capability to monitor our location/speed/traffic compliance. Or maybe it will be a flat-out requirement. After all, we have been told over and over that driving is a privilege, not a right, and that the freedom envisioned by the founding fathers did not include automotive travel.
Meh. You're worried about government intrusion by having to have two plates, and I'm more worried about the 90% of Americans who are out there texting while driving, talking on cell phones, eating, putting on makeup, driving 50 mph in the fast lane, etc. My friend in LA has been rearended twice in the last month by morons on cell phones. If everyone drove like you and I and the rest of the 986 forum readers who actually care about driving and pay attention, we wouldn't need all those government regulations. It's because of the other 90% that we do, and I'm darned glad we do. Personally I wish we had MORE enforcement (of stuff that counts, not just setting speed traps for revenue). In perspective, complaining about having to have two plates strikes me as just plain petty. And yes, I have two plates on my Cayman. Boo hoo.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #16

Garage
I've gone through the warning years ago. I keep thinking about making a mount that places the plate under the bumper with a switch to have it have it slide up when needed. Fail safe would fail with the plate in view. Shouldn't be to hard to make something out of spring steel or just a spring hing so it flips up as it gets pushed forward. So when they say your plate is missing you can say No it's there you must have missed it.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #17

Garage
Thank goodness I live in a state where front license plates are not required. I rather put a pink flamingo in my front yard than put a front license plate on my Porsche.
DawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgFan View Post
Thank goodness I live in a state where front license plates are not required. I rather put a pink flamingo in my front yard than put a front license plate on my Porsche.
I thought there was some sort of requirement for that in Georgia

I agree though, living in a no front plate state is nice!

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #19

Stop that. You're offending pink flamingos.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote