Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #1

Radiator: push out dirt from behind?

I'm planning a vacation next weekend and it was time, so changed the oil, checked my hoses & clamps for leaks after my water pump replacement (found a small leak at a host clamp - just need to reposition it), and decided to clean my radiators. Got the bumper off in less than 10 minutes. Got the radiator ducts off in another 5 or so. But I'm planning to wait until tomorrow AM to take the car of the stands and roll it outside the garage for separating & cleaning.

I've been doing some searching and came across the concept of cleaning the radiators (not AC condensers) from the rear to push the debris back out the channel it came in and it make plenty of sense. Right up to the question of how can I do that? From what I know the fan covers the rear of the radiator and both are covered by another duct. I found that out when I had to replace my ballast resistor.

So, an suggestions on how to reverse clean it? Or should I just hose it down one the front side and hit it with some low pressure air (about 20~25 PSI) from my air compressor?

Old 06-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #2

Well, for thsoe that may want to know in the future, I hit the AC condenser from the rear with a hose and low pressure air (to dry it out). The radiator is a lot cleaner. And my test run demonstrated a significant drop in coolent temperature. I need to run it a bit longer to see if the change hold true in day to day drivng, but I was running at the back of the 0 in 110 degree weather and today in 100 degree weather it was back to the back side of the 8. Used to be int he middle of the 0 in 100 degree weather. This is also after a water pump, low temperature thermostat, and hose change.