Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #1

Farewell, friend

Traded the Boxster S for a Jeep on Friday...

Wife and I went to look a a pair of kayaks and started talking about how to transport them. I suggested that we buy a roof rack for her R32, she suggested that we finally buy the Jeep that we had been talking about for years. I stipulated that it had to be a manual trans, 4 door, with power windows/door locks, cruise, and a hardtop thinking that the combination would be difficult to find. Damned if there wasn't one that fit that criteria on the used lot for the Hyundai dealership about 12miles away...

After some negotiations, they offered me almost what I payed for the Porsche 11mos ago and offered us the Jeep at below book pricing. Signed the paperwork after work on Friday and drove this home.

While the Boxster was a scalpel and felt just fine travelling 60mph on a winding 2 lane road, this thing is "deceptively slow" in comparison. It is the equivalent of a bowling ball crashing through a window. It's really fun to drive in a different way than the Porsche was fun to drive, but I'm not worried about where I park it like I was with the Boxster. The Wife promised me that I could get a 911 when it was time to trade in her car in a few years, and I'm buying a friends Ducati 749 next week (Sold my 750SS last year to help fund the Porsche), so everything is working out and going to be ok, just taking a hiatus from Porsches for a while.

Thank you all for helping me out and answering questions, and most of all the technical references that are here for all to see.

Reckles_Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #2

Great looking Jeep! I totally understand its benefits.I have an older Wrangler that does just about anything you want including parking at the front of a store with no door ding worries.Keeps my Box S away form danger! Good luck.
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #3

Good choice. I've had two wranglers over the last 15 years, and always quickly regret selling them. I've decided that (4 door model) will be my minivan replacement in a couple years.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #4

I realized that I had been on a German car trip for the last several years. I've owned nothing but German since my last Chevy Truck, and that comes to 9 German cars. Still own the R32, so I've got a zoomy cage when I need speed and it's raining, but I've also got something that can get around when the neighborhood floods to the top of the tires (this happens at least once per hurricane season).
Old 06-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #5

Nice Jeep. You will find your way back to a Porsche in due time. Love the Ducati also!
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #6

I did just the opposite. Sold my CJ5 with fiberglass body, thinking to buy a new Ducatti Multistrada and saw my Boxster at the same price as the Ducatti I wanted to buy and choose the boxster. Still have a FXE and a KLR 650 to have my cycle fix.
tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #7

Garage
Funny, I was looking at a manual wrangler at one point before the Boxster. After the Boxster, looked at picking up a bike, a very well priced & maintained Ducati 750SS caught my eye. People on this forum have similar taste.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
soucorp

Garage
Why not keep both. Love my Sahara unlimted 4x4! Its my DD to work, the other toys are a treat!

Cheers

soucorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by soucorp View Post
Why not keep both. Love my Sahara unlimted 4x4! Its my DD to work, the other toys are a treat!

Cheers

Finances don't allow THAT many toys, yet (eventually I'll give Leno a run for his money...)