Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjazz View Post
I was thinking about moving my oil changes to fall before putting it away for the winter to have clean/fresh oil in it while in hibernation.
When I had to store a car or motorcycle, the basic consenous at the time was to fill it with fresh oil and stabil in the full gas tank, run it to cirrculate it, then put it away. When I pulled it out of storage it was time to change the oil and give it a road trip to burn out the gas (good excuse if nothing else).

Old 06-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #62
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
For most people, it is about the money. They worry - not because their 986 will be a total write off if the engine grenades due to an IMSB failure - but because they might have to fork out $2oK in the worst case to buy a Raby engine and have it installed in their Boxsters to get their cars back on the road.
For me, it was all about avoiding the potential for failure.
I sold a perfect 19,000 mile 1988 Mustang GT that I ordered & bought from new to buy my Boxster. Would I have been devastated if the IMS monster got my car? You betcha.
Especially since the guy that got the 5.0 took over a nearly cosmetically perfect 23 year old low mileage muscle car. It was the Ford equivalent of JD's ride; rarely driven and never thrashed. It would have killed me to have my IMS fail and be left with a Boxster-like lawn ornament after having babied the 'Stang for that long.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation

Last edited by BoxsterSteve; 06-07-2013 at 04:14 PM.
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #63

Garage
I'm getting the impression that I should have the IMSB retro-fit performed. Oh well, there goes my weekend get-away in the Poconos with the Danger Girls .