Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #21

I find the ride very comfortable. Of course my daily drive is a F150 4x4 with over sized tires that has a very hard ride. But I was pleasantly surprised how good the ride was in my area that has bad roads, I was expecting a lot worse. I guess keeping the original 17s helps also.

tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #22

Garage
6'1" 150lb. It's not bad. Mostly just noisy.

Definitely not as comfortable as my Audi Q5. But certainly must faster
desert_porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #23

I've owned very many Porsche cars and the answer to your question (not to annoy this model specific forum) is.... NO, its not a comfortable car.... relatively speaking! Even speaking in Porsche terms my 928 is like driving a suite of the most comfortable furniture ever made. My old Cayenne is pretty comfortable with an upright seating position.

A few days after I bought mine I travelled on a 500 mile round trip and when about an hour from home I got really tired so I pulled into a motorway service lay by, parked up and grabbed the seat control to put the seat back and have a few ZZzzzzzz..... the rest you can figure out!

It's not an S class merc or a 7 series BMW though and offers a different skill set entirely to what these cars offer a buyer! The 'long lads' here have said they are comfortable in theirs so I'd listen to them but I'd urge any prospective buyer to drive any car on their list for a good while before they put their money down... i.e. make your own mind up man!
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:00 AM   #24

I think I that I need to clarify my question.

My question should have been, "is your boxster SEAT and seating position comfortable?" I apologize for not being more clear and I thank everyone for the replies.

I have a few other vehicles for other purposes that are very comfortable for long trips and such. This car will be for a 21 mile commute each way to work. This commute is over winding, hilly, VERY sparsely traveled farm road. The kind of road that city dwelling sports car drivers sometimes spend their Saturday driving away from the city in search of.

A car such as the Boxster can make this commute lots of fun, but if the seat or its position are annoying, it will take some of the fun out of it. Our test drive was interrupted on Saturday preventing me from investigating the seat further. Hopefully when I go back with the info I received from you guys I can adjust the seat.

Thanks again for all the great replies. I tend to believe that there is something broken about that seat.

Doc

Hope to soon be among the lucky few driving a Boxster.
MBDiagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #25
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
My OEM's were literally a pain in the arse. But this has been the case with each Porsche I have owned. I am 6'2" and 170 so weight is not an issue but rather back comfort. I have been using JDM Racing seats for a few years and can go hours in the car with no back issues. Instead of using the seat rail bracket I fabbed my own set and have been able to drop the seats 1 1/2" from stock height and gained 3" more leg room as the seat fits better against the engine wall yet still can remove them as needed.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:59 AM   #26

I don't know if it's in the budget, but you should also try a 987. There is a bit more room, and better seats. My '06 was very comfortable for an 11 Hour drive from NC to NJ, with only 1 stop.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:02 AM   #27
DIY extremist

I am not super tall (30" inseam) and even I have to do the squat & rotate to get in and out of the Box (both my 986, and 987), but once I'm in it's like a glove.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:26 AM   #28
recycledsixtie

Garage
I find most car seats are uncomfortable for long periods such as 2+ hours. The Boxster seat does not give me enough legroom - I am 5'10" and 174 lbs. This thread forces me to play with the manual controls to make it more comfortable. Definitely a good thread....
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #29

drove to vegas and back to san diego for a flight and it was not the business. seats were comfy for the first hour then they got tired and it felt like i was sitting on a bean bag made of cement... albeit, i usually have that problem with long drives. did a mountain run with the local miata club and those seats were the business, comfy all day, even after having to slow down at the pass where a miata flew off the side of the mountain.
5'11", 270lbs, 34" inseam, 36" waist.
cameronzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #30

In the Porsche performance driving school and subsequent Autocross races I learned that when driving hard a more close in seat position is actually less strain
and more comfortable over longer periods that my usual laid back, arms length position.

You sit closer and more upright with your elbows bent at the 3 and 9 positions and its surprisingly more comfortable when you are driving the twisty's.

I have become accustomed to it now and drive that way on the daily commute as well.

At 5'11" and 220lbs the seat fits like a glove and I feel one with the car.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #31

I am 6 feet 200 lbs with 33 inch inseam. I have settled on a very comfortable seat position. In virtually every other car I start to get pain in the back of my right thigh after about 2 hrs of driving facilitating the need to stop and stretch my leg on long drives.
I have found that does not happen with the Box. It might be the seat position or the lack of resistance on the accelerator pedal who knows. I had the problem with my 330i Mini Cooper,Audi A4, SAAB and even my wife's R series Benz. So for me the Boxster is one of the most comfortable cars that I have owned!

Josh
Old 06-04-2013, 04:33 AM   #32

Damn, there are some B I G dudes on this board!
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #33

I'm 5'11" (I've shrunk a good inch due to herniated discs and the ravages of time), 168 lbs and yes, I find it comfortable. The seats are a bit tight in the area of the upper body, but that contributes to them holding you in place in hard cornering. This is not a GT (grand touring) car, it is a sports car and it is obviously not going to be as comfortable on long trips. To accomplish that they would have had to soften up the suspension, install more sound insulation (with more weight!) and install wider seats with adjustable lumbar (and again, with more weight), all of which would have detracted from its primary intended use.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #34
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
Damn, there are some B I G dudes on this board!
ROTFLMAO...........

Plus a lot of left side strut replacements, right?

Just sayin'...........
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #35
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
I switched out my 986 seats for some 987, it helped me a lot. I'm small enough 5'7 165 that seat cushion was a little tired and the metal bar at the very bottom of the seat near my tail bone actually bothered me. I think my rear end was just a little skinny for it. The 987 Sport Plus seat is awesome, I couldn't find any but that's what I was looking for a replacement. The 987 seats were like new though so they are working out well.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
ROTFLMAO...........

Plus a lot of left side strut replacements, right?

Just sayin'...........

Ha ha ha ha!

Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote