Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #1

Handling Question

So here's the scenario: I bought by first and only used Box a couple years ago (I realize I'm running the risk of sounding too hip by using the term "Box" but I'm going with it anyway). The car came with badly worn tires that I planned on replacing. In the meantime some little sweetheart decided to back into me while she was busy chatting on her mobile phone. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending upon your outlook, I was in it at the time. After calmly mumbling golly gee willikers, we exchanged information and her insurance company took care of all repairs. Part of the repairs was replacing a damaged rear driver's side wheel (as a side note, Porsche doesn't give those things away!). After all repairs were made the body shop took it to a local chain tire store for an alignment. I immediately took it and had Michelin Pilot Super Sports put on. Upon new tire installation they did not do a second alignment.

So here's my dilema...finally: I have since noticed more play in the steering wheel, and I'm not sure as to the cause of the fix if there is one. Since this is my first experience with these cars I don't have anything else to compare it to other than how it handled prior to all of this.

Please keep it mind that if you choose to reply to this I am a complete idiot savant when it comes to mechanics. I know how to drive it and that's it...even that's questionable at times. Having said that, if you start using technical mechanical lingo, you will get the obligatory eye-roll followed by the jerky jerky motion. So make sure to use small words and speak SLOWLY...please and thank you!

Old 05-20-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
When I switch from my slicks to my street tires, the street tires require a lot more steering input than the slicks. One of the reasons is that the street tires have deep tread, and it has to stretch a bit before the car responds. I think this is what you are experiencing with the new tires.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:55 AM   #3

agreed, a little more "play" is probably just the change from bad bald tires to good street tires. i thought something was wrong after my first tire change.

(and as a side note, i believe you're using the term "idiot savant" wrong...)
Old 05-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Assuming that the repairs and the alignment were done correctly, then the only variable left is the new tires.

I find that I am very sensitive to alignment and wheel balance issues. If its even a small amount off, I can feel a difference and it bugs the crap out of me. I would suggest that you have the alignment checked just to be sure. Take it to a good shop and tell the tech about the problem and ask him to specifically make sure that everything is within spec.

If the alignment is ok, then you'll know that its the new tires.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #5

Thank you all for the replies! Obviously, I'm just an idiot...not of the savant variety. Who knew you could get a language and a grammar lesson in an automotive forum?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #6

Garage
Any ride or handling troubleshooting should begin by verifying correct air psi in all tires.
I love all 6 of the Michelin Super Sports I drive on, but they seem to have very soft sidewalls so I run 2psi more in each tire for each car.

I also advocate "Box"usage!

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote