Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 07:50 AM   #1

I Have Never Seen a '99 Boxster with So Many Options

Came across this on eBay;

Porsche : Boxster Fully optioned | eBay

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #2

The supple leather option does not age well apparently, or maybe the owner did a poor job of conditioning the leather regularly given the climate. Also, the front bumper color match in that one picture looks really terrible, odd because factory metal/poly-u matches are nearly always better than anything you see done by private shops. I wonder if it was repainted locally. The navigation system is very out-dated at this point so that's just dead weight. The carbon is nice and outrageously expensive. I think he's going to have some trouble selling for that sort of price. Simply too many water-cooled Porsches flooding the market every day.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
The supple leather option does not age well apparently, or maybe the owner did a poor job of conditioning the leather regularly given the climate. Also, the front bumper color match in that one picture looks really terrible, odd because factory metal/poly-u matches are nearly always better than anything you see done by private shops. I wonder if it was repainted locally. The navigation system is very out-dated at this point so that's just dead weight. The carbon is nice and outrageously expensive. I think he's going to have some trouble selling for that sort of price. Simply too many water-cooled Porsches flooding the market every day.
Buzz Kill

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #4

^ do you mean me or the asking price?
Old 05-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #5

Garage
Why would someone fully option up a base Boxster, to a price of over $76K, when the Boxster S started at $50K and could be very nicely equipped for $60K? A fully optioned Boxster S would be much more exciting
desert_porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_porsche View Post
Why would someone fully option up a base Boxster, to a price of over $76K, when the Boxster S started at $50K and could be very nicely equipped for $60K? A fully optioned Boxster S would be much more exciting
In 1999, there was no Boxster S.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #7

I'd happily take some of the carbon fibre off his hands but he can keep the aero kit.
Michiganstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #8

Frankly, to my eye the full carbon interior package looks tacky at any price and, as has been pointed out, the leather looks baffed. For a 99 it is overpriced even if someone likes the carbon and aero package. Put another way, even if the original buyer was prepared to vastly overpay for the 'soft' leather (now degraded) and the carbon package, it doesn't mean that a buyer 14 years later is going to make the same mistake. As perfectlap pointed out in another thread, Porsche's options are notoriously overpriced - close to $1800.00 for leather coverd vents and a few hundred for a painted key fob on the new 991, as I recall.
I'd be surprised if 14 years later an owner got more than 1 cent on the dollar for those options.
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_porsche View Post
Listing says that the car was a demo car, and thus, was fully optioned to show off all of the fancy stuff.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
Newb

A 99' (dual row imsb) nicely loaded with only 2 owners, 30K miles, never seen rain, and in perfect condition. He did brand new rotors and pads and if it was driven on short blasts over it's life to keep it lubed and moving, I would say that it is not that bad of a deal.

Some may think I was foolish to spend 11.5K + 7K on my nicely appointed 99' base. But I love the way it performs and it rides like a new car with maybe only a few upcoming surprise repairs that will easy to handle.

I am not sure what the reserve is on this car, but at 16.5K it may not be a bad deal for the person who loves the way this car is appointed. It certainly is unique.

I think it would be very easy to fall for a great performing S for around 12K-15K and sink 5K - 8K in it within the first 12-18 months.
2008 Land Rover LR3 Alaska White/Alpaca
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Dk Grey/Lt Grey
V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #11

Its funny to think someone would pay 9k to option out a car in carbon fiber. I would have opted for a base carrera. I would expect that the original owner got a good deal on the car as its rare for boxsters to be optioned this way.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:17 AM   #12

V-rod, it is hardly in perfect shape. As Perfectlap pointed out, look at the paint work on the front bumper (which is also not the original). Terrible worrk that looks as if it was done with a spray bomb. In addition, the leather is in way worse shape than my 2000, which has 57,000 miles (although I must acknowledge that the black interiors get hot and crack more readily than beige).

And it is not just mileage, but age that leads to the need to replace various components such as the AOS, coolant reservoir, ignition switches, etc.
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Rod View Post
I think it would be very easy to fall for a great performing S for around 12K-15K and sink 5K - 8K in it within the first 12-18 months.
true. But if you find an S that was well looked after, rarely recouped by the seller, you'd be at the same price of this 2.5 with the extra benefit of a 3.2
14 years later, the average car on the road has more power and the extra oomph than was the case in 1999. The now unremarkable power of the 3.2 is very handy when highway merging and passing cars.
And the Carrera brakes on the S are a lot more useful than unecessary options/trim. You also beefier cylinder walls in the S that didn't even come on the 3.4 996 Carrera engine. Those cylinder walls have been know to crack if the original owner didn' put so many miles on their 2.5 and drove it with kid gloves....

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-16-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #14

Never seen rain!.....funny

I would hope that the car got washed once in a while.

I would think that in Florida there are many days with 100% humidity, and 100% salt in the sea breeze, so even garaged a lot may not save you from corrosion
of some sort.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post

I would think that in Florida there are many days with 100% humidity, and 100% salt in the sea breeze, so even garaged a lot may not save you from corrosion
of some sort.
Last week I had to drive mine a pretty long distance to a mechanic that is approved by LN engineering to have the IMS replaced. The weather called for heavy rain (and we got it), so I decided to replace the wiper blades. I picked up the 02 boxster last year and this was the only time that I've driven it in the rain. The blades were so old that I wondered if anyone had ever driven it in the rain.
cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #16

... and the power of the sun increases the further south you go. Am I the only person who doesn't care about carbon fiber except in serious weight-saving uses?
Old 05-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #17

Where can I get those side vents!
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post

of some sort.
That is a serious issue, steel door hinges rust in 3 years, even chrome hardware is heavily pitted after 7 years. Even stainless steel hinges show corrosion. We have baking pans inside the house that have rust.

This is why hubby built a dehumidified car cozy (super insulated section of the garage) for his 911. He is threatening to build one for my Boxster. I think I'll let him.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #19

I seriously detest all the carbon fiber.