Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #1

Unhappy Smoke Bomb-anyone else?

Had my first "smoke bomb" this morning at start up after car sat all night.

Wow!

I heard that this can sometimes happen and I know that it can be indicative of an AOS failure.Took it to my indy and it was pronounced fit. AOS had been done prior to my ownership and I thought that the part had failed.

He confirmed the occasional occurrence and so did a friend with many years of prior flat six Pcar ownership.First time for me in 4500 miles of ownership of this 64,000 mile Box.Do not like this.

Anyone else have this????????????

litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
Two or three times I have had a smoke bomb also, likey because my garage floor has a very slight slope to it. If I declutch without starting the engine, the car will just barely roll out on its own.

Most certainly is a moment when it happens.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

I had the occasional James Bond smoke screen happen at start up. It means that the AOS is starting to go and will eventually fail (might take year or two). But once you replace the AOS, then you'll never see it again.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:58 AM   #4

Thanks for the input thestone.I may seriously consider pro actively replacing the AOS to prevent this from happening again.

It really made my Box look like a junk car when it happened.I know it is supposed to be a characteristic of the car, but could you imagine one doing it while brand new on a dealership floor!People would run away.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:55 AM   #5
Homeboy981

Garage
I would submit to you it depends on the size of the cloud at startup.

Used to get a small puff that 'lasted a few seconds' after I started the car in the morning and concluded the following:

When I let the car "idle down" for 30-60 seconds prior to turning the key off the night before, it would smoke the next morning upon startup.

Once I showed a little "tough love" and just turned the key off, not letting it "idle down", it seems to cloud up less, if at all, at startup. Coincidence?

Your actual results may vary.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #6

Thanks homeboy.My cloud was taller and larger than me as for some reason,I had jumped out and was heading to the back of the car and I was engulfed!

I'm open to any ideas to lessen the probability.I'll re-create your episodes and make note.

I called a dealer in a city that is large enough to have have seen this and they confirmed that it can even happen to the brand new cars.--So much for my plan to toss a relatively new, perfectly performing AOS for a brand new one.

VOODOO
Old 05-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeedp View Post
Thanks homeboy.My cloud was taller and larger than me as for some reason,I had jumped out and was heading to the back of the car and I was engulfed!

I'm open to any ideas to lessen the probability.I'll re-create your episodes and make note.

I called a dealer in a city that is large enough to have have seen this and they confirmed that it can even happen to the brand new cars.--So much for my plan to toss a relatively new, perfectly performing AOS for a brand new one.

VOODOO
I just bought my 987 @ 28K miles. Within a week of owning it, this happened to me. I flipped my **************** and had it towed back to the dealer. They replaced the AOS ($120 part + $580 Porsche Labor haha = $700+tax repair). Thankfully it was covered under warranty. Now that I have come here and read, I see that it is fairly common and harmless. The dealer said it may happen over the next couple weeks, but so far I've seen nothing.

Just my experience... Good luck.
Greybush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #8

had mine blow out on the freeway down here in san diego. lit up the whole freeway for about 500 feet. towed it home, put it up on stands and swapped out the AOS in about an hour in the driveway, and then went out and blasted the residue out: haven't had a problem with it since.
cameronzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #9

Cameron, did you have any signs prior to failure?
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #10

I'd like this "Smoke" feature to be controlled by a switch please.

I can think of more than a few times when such a feature would come in handy and would pay extra for that option.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
Cameron, did you have any signs prior to failure?
yeah, at morning and afterwork start ups for a few days prior, it'd bomb for about 2-5 mins from the build up on my way to work and back. just so happened to finally give out while i was just sitting in traffic on my way back from work. it's pretty easy and straight forward. my arms are a little bigger than needed and removing the bottom tray made it a lot easier, along with some offset needlenose pliers (didn't have a snap ring tool).
cameronzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
I'd like this "Smoke" feature to be controlled by a switch please.

I can think of more than a few times when such a feature would come in handy and would pay extra for that option.
I'm with you on this. Maybe we've been hanging out with JD for too long...