Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #1

Garage
HELP! Top stuck down!!!!

I posted a thread earlier about my top going up with the passenger side lagging slightly behind. Someone replied by telling me that my passenger side push-rod cup could be broken. Well that was partially right. It was disconnected. I thought, great, easy fix. Well, after I reconnected it, the top made a pop sound when I put it down and now the cup is broken! After further investigation, watching the top going up and down, I noticed the arm on the clam is hitting the push-rod causing the problem. I was planning on coming back to it later but now my top is stuck in the down position!!! I can't get the top to come up!!! HELP!!!

Meat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
The procedure is in your owner's manual.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #3

Garage
Well................I got the clam shell loose and the top up manually. BOTH push-rod cups are busted! It has become completely out of adjustment. I don't know how this happened??? How hard is it to start from scratch and totally adjust the top and clam shell? I will first have to order the push rods.

Porsche push rods- $82.75 each
Hamburg Technic (aftermarket)- $36.00 each

Are the Porsche push rods really worth the extra cash?? I don't think this is a precision part but what do you guys think???

Last edited by Meat Head; 05-12-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #4

Buy the cheaper ones. It is not hard to get everything synced back up so don't worry.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
San Diego Boxster

Garage
See this thread.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/45586-clamshell-stuck.html

I posted details.

1998 Black Boxster (owned since 2001)
drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:06 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Buy the cheaper ones. It is not hard to get everything synced back up so don't worry.

Thanks for the encouragement. I have a tendency to panic when things like this go wrong. Convertible tops are not something I'm used to working on.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but is there any position the top and clam shell need to be in when I connect them to the linkage (after I sync the boomerang brackets)? Also, how do you adjust the push rod. My passenger side was completely disconnected and the adjustment slide loose so I don't have a measurement to go off of. I guess that I'll adjust it to the same length as the drivers side push rod??? I can't seem to find any info on this???

Does anyone know the part number or where I can find the little clip fasteners that are used in the clam shell linkage? I've seen it called "guide lever SL lock" or "Deck lid fastener" but I cant find it at Pelican??

By the way, I figured out why it got all jammed up. When the top was in the down position the boomerang bracket (portion connected to the pushrod) had rotated all the way up to the point that it contacted (wedged) the fender body panel. I'm wondering if my micro switch that tells the motor the clam shell is down is broken and allowed it to continue pulling when it shouldn't have.

Last edited by Meat Head; 05-13-2013 at 03:56 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:30 AM   #7

Garage
I could really use the part number for those "deck lid fasteners" ASAP. They are the little clips that hold the linkage together on the clam shell. I can't find them at Pelican Parts and I want to place an order ASAP so I can get the Box back on the road! Any help finding these clips would be greatly appreciated.