Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #1

Shifter or Transmission Issue?

Hey guys,

Tonight I encountered a weird issue. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar or same issue. I made a left hand turn at about 20 miles per hour in second gear. Went through the gears as normal till I got to fifth gear. That's where the car acted as if it were in neutral. Turns out, I lost first, third, and fifth. No issues with second and fourth.

These symptoms lead me to believe that this is shifter related, but I am not sure. That's why I am here. I haven't pulled a console before so I am not sure where to start.

If you can lend me some tips, tricks, and know-how to fix this issue, that would be great! Thanks in advance!

kefboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #2

I think it's likely you have a cable issue. The boxster shift linkage is comprised of 2 cables one is affected by lateral movement (attached to a plastic lever in the shifter) and the other longitudinal (attached to a ball at the opposite end of your shift lever). If I'm thinking correctly, the cable that is actuated by the plastic lever may be your problem and it could either be at the lever or at the transmission. Does the lever feel different in any way? Especially side to side motion?
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #3

Here's a good start ... Pelican Technical Article: Installing a Boxster Short Shift Kit (SSK) and Replacing Boxster Shift Bushings - 986 / 987
Old 04-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #4

It does feel a bit different. Maybe a ******************** notchier? Also, I feel as though it is pointed forwad a bit more than it normally is. I wonder if the cable just became disconnected. What's the easiest way to remove the console?
Old 04-30-2013, 12:58 AM   #5

You might want to check the cable at the transaxle end before yanking out the console. Mine had the same issue and the cable had popped off the linkage at the transaxle. It might save you some time.
VBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #6
Homeboy981

Garage
Hi Kef,

Another NTBE member had the same problem. As VBoxster said your problem is most likely located on the transmission where the shift cables connect to the housing.

There are these little 'tabs' that ensure the cable will not slip. Long story short, a simple zip tie will cure your ills. You want to go around the bottom of the cable and secure around the top lip on the shifter stay.

You can PM me or Kenny for more details.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #7

Thanks for all of the feedback. Hopefully, I can take a look at this Friday night or Sunday morning so I can join the meet with Homeboy.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:16 AM   #8
Homeboy981

Garage
We can take a look at it there, if you remind me.