Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
IWhat cracks me up is when Boxster owners list their "mods", and one of them is "bumper plugs"! Too funny.
I knew there was something I forgot to list.

At 50, I don't care too much for heavy modding the car. I'd rather think of getting the car I want for the ride I want. I'm looking to get a nice 964/993/996 sometime in the near future rather than push the Boxster to be something its not meant to be. Besides, that'll give me at least one car that will be up and running when I have to fix the other.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #22
2001 Boxster S

I really like the lines of the 986 and wouldn't mess with aero kits, wings, skirts, etc. (I was never a real fan of these kits in all my previous cars.) my ideal mods would be limited to upsized wheels (19") and some carbon fibre bits in the interior to update the interior. Let's just say i'm looking for an updated OEM look!

Now that the aftermarket radio installed by the PO has stopped working, I'm vacillating between a 2 DIN replacement or just source an original head unit. And even if I go 2 DIN, I really hope it looks like OEM still.

I guess I'm straddling the fence here between bone stock and modified!
Dgnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #23
Pup

I was thinking about I. My 2000 Boxster S has a factory Short shift kit and stainless steel sport exhaust and new glass windowed top.. Some did change out the front blinkers to clear but I have the originals...

There, I confessed..

I wouldn't have done that a few years a go..

Pup

Oh, I sold my 2007 Ducati GT1000 today.. I must be getting old.

Pup
2003 Mini Cooper, Triple Black, The Misses car
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic, 1 of 200
Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #24
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup View Post
I was thinking about I. My 2000 Boxster S has a factory Short shift kit and stainless steel sport exhaust and new glass windowed top.. Some did change out the front blinkers to clear but I have the originals...

There, I confessed..

Pup
You are forgiven, my son.
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #25

Any 70's?

78 and on my 8th Porsche over 43 years. Sold a pristine 356A to get into a more travel-worthy car. The 04 Boxter S will stay mostly stock except for some sensible mods such as a mag drain plug and any other longevity bits. Also, seriously, it has little bitty non-dandy front tiny chrome license plate hole plugs unobtrusive on an Artic Silver car. They don't chip their paint off like BP's.

Ex
PreA 356
356A coupe
356A Speedster
356B coupe
911 Targa
911 coupe
leknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #26
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
If I'm going to upgrade, then I'll stick with OEM parts. OEM plus, as it's known in other brand circles. Still genuine parts that just didn't come on my car.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #27
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by leknus View Post
78 and on my 8th Porsche over 43 years. Sold a pristine 356A to get into a more travel-worthy car. The 04 Boxter S will stay mostly stock except for some sensible mods such as a mag drain plug and any other longevity bits. Also, seriously, it has little bitty non-dandy front tiny chrome license plate hole plugs unobtrusive on an Artic Silver car. They don't chip their paint off like BP's.

Ex
PreA 356
356A coupe
356A Speedster
356B coupe
911 Targa
911 coupe
78 years old! Are you serious, man?

Oh man, if you're ever in Dallas, we gotta party dude!

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #28

Garage
Just got my 1999 base last August. It already had wide wheels and tires, and a non-factory radio, which I replaced with a descent one.
I just had the soft top replaced with a GAAH, glass window version. At least I can see when I back up now. Us old folks need to see when we back up.
When I had a trailing arm and clutch replaced, my Indy replaced with those very expensive OEM parts. Yikes!

I would like to reduce the size of the wheels and tires someday, and keep it as stock as possible, if possible.

57 years young...
Old 04-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #29

I have a few mods on my car. I recently added an 04 top and a 996 gauge cluster. I think the mods keep the car fresh for me or make it a little more convenient to use. Most of the other modifications aren't obvious. I installed a garage door opener in the dash using a targa switch, upgraded the speakers and added the rear speaker kit. I also put in a 6 channel amp from a 996 cabriolet and swapped the CDR-220 for a Becker Traffic pro unit. Most of the parts I've used have been OEM Porsche that I acquired through the various boards and recyclers.

I would not go for a huge rear wing or other flashy mods. I may eventually paint the center console arctic silver.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #30

I'm sure it might have something to do with my age, but here is my take on this.

I am a car enthusiast. There's no reason for any other regular person out there with money to be able to go out and buy my exact same car. Modifying a car makes it unique to you and special. I'm sure if I owned a Lamborghini, I would feel the same way.

Yes, Boxsters are good, but it could have been better. Porsche castrated Boxsters when they put in weaker engines in them. I plan to transplant its balls back. The rear suspension weren't stiff enough stock, and that's why I plan to get a better one with a more aggressive stance. The stock tires that went on my wheels began to slide if I cornered past 40mph, and that's why I upgraded those too.

To each his own, but that was my thought process as my savings inch closer and closer to being dumped for the next upgrade.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #31

Garage
I don't intend to do a lot of mods but I do like my sport exhaust, new top with glass and the LED tail lights. I'll hang on to the original parts if I ever want to go back or for the next owner. A double din radio with a back up camera is probably in the future, even with glass, it's still tough to back these things up! I'm 51 by the way. Did I mention I have Bumper Plugs too?
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #32

The PO installed a Kenwood stereo. Since buying my 01 S, the only mods I have made are Packers valve stem caps and license plate frame screws.

"Old" is rather relative, isn't it? When I was 27, my Dad was 52; he was old. Now I'm 52, but I am not old.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #33

58 years young:

NPH Sport II muffler

Sprint booster

Upgraded dash speakers and installed rear box kit.

Desnorkled and removed resonator box.

3/4" H&R rear anti-sway bar.
Car runs and sounds nice. I like amber ....

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:59 AM   #34
Pup

I like the idea of the back up camera too.. Or at least an alarm with an increasing beep as I get closer to whatever is behind me!

Anyone tried one?

bc
2003 Mini Cooper, Triple Black, The Misses car
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic, 1 of 200
Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:03 AM   #35

I like my 2003 Boxster S completely stock and plan to keep it that way...unless I have an IMS failure, then I'll look to transplant a 3.6L into it and make it even more fun to drive.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:25 AM   #36

Garage
For the Road, stock has more performance than I could use legally (or close to).
Being thrifty, as I need to replace, then I look at upgrade options. I hate to replace good parts for the sake of change, though the front bumper could use something.
Personally I wish they had made the car more basic.
All that electric crap are just dollars that should have gone into the car's performance and durability.
Sorry for that

Like the car stock
Old 04-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #37

Garage
I'm all stock, but only because I can't afford to upgrade.

If I had the money, I'm not sure if I would start upgrading parts. Probably not. Probably a sign of maturing. Ugh. Not looking forward to that.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #38

Completely oem, but not necessarily stock. The car is gradually becoming an '03 cosmetically. So far changed the headlights, tail lights, markers, steering wheel, shifter, handbrake lever, seats, and front bumper to '03 style.

Troutman - if you have a 99 then it is a 2.5, not a 2.7. The 2.7 came with the 2000 and newer models.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #39

I think the Porsche designers know what they're doing, I don't want to mess with it too much.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #40

Garage
Anything that adds performance and power beats stock in my book. Young or old, I think the quest for more horsepower/ lighter weight/ better handling is a universal lust for those with a similar mindset.

Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote