Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #1

Oh no, I made a mistake. I sold it.

OK, so I had toyed with the idea of selling the Boxster, but really it was only to get a newer one since mine was an 01 base.

Anyway, I went out to get a work truck, got that, and after it was done - the manager at the place took an interest in the car. I got offered a fair amount, and I figured since now is my busy season I would not have time to drive it and might as well use the money for business. Especially since i have a daily driver prius and a BMW 335i.

So on a whim, I sold it right then and there. I knew I was going to have to spend a lot of money on it - new top for cracked plastic $1k, IMS upgrade $2.5k, plus a few minor things like a crack in the windshield and I was going to spend nearly $4k to make it nice and new and safe from IMS issues.

So I sold it. And a few days later, I am in deep regret. I've gone through cars quickly in the past, but usually to get something better and I am happy and forget. But now my BMW 335i just isn't cutting it anymore.

I miss the manual shifting, the connection with the steering, and just how the car drove.

So I'm sad. Here's my problem now. Wife never liked it, but put up with it when I got it. Now even the idea of getting another one causes some arguments.

I should have kept it! I dug myself in a hole. I just figure by the end of the year I'll have to do some sweet talking and pick up a nice 987 or something.

Oh, friends - don't sell your Boxster unless it's for a better Porsche!

I never sold it because I am was unhappy - I just figured I am working too much right now to enjoy it and rather free up the finances. Little did I know the opposition I may face to get another one! Time will tell, but boy am I sad.

Just sharing my boyish feelings with you guys.

Last edited by rondocap; 04-21-2013 at 04:33 PM.
rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
Boxster 1999

Garage
Sorry to hear this. I always say everything happens for a reason. Something good will come!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #3

Well, I got one for sale that you can use to scratch that itch again!
MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #4

Garage
You can always get a divorce !
Old 04-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #5

Oh, no! But don't worry it's just a matter of time before another Porsche comes into your life. You don't find a Porsche, it finds you. . .

As for the wife, it always surprises me that you guys don't know how to handle this! First word; jewelry. Second words; store with a full money back policy, because no way do you know what she likes.

No, you don't know.

No. You don't.

It's just like her trying to buy you a part for your Boxster, not going to work. Costco, surprisingly has some fabulous high quality diamonds (all VS, all I or better--this is a subject I am fluent in) even in their small pieces. And they'll take it back anytime between now and death (just bring the little appraisal certificate that comes with it). They've also got nice earrings (which are the easiest things to buy a woman).

So, nice pair of earrings, a big smile, take out the trash for a week, and --presto--new Boxster!
Old 04-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #6

Clearly, this is in the cards just so you can have a reason to upgrade to an "S" model
Dr.Strangepork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Chick View Post
So, nice pair of earrings, a big smile, take out the trash for a week, and --presto--new Boxster!
The trick is to do that stuff all of the time, whether you want something or not; give the wife what she wants and she is likely to return the favor
darknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Strangepork View Post
Clearly, this is in the cards just so you can have a reason to upgrade to an "S" model
+1
Old 04-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight View Post
The trick is to do that stuff all of the time, whether you want something or not; give the wife what she wants and she is likely to return the favor
Very true.

I know this works wonders for my husband, he's on his third Porsche . . .
Old 04-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #10

Works for me too! Of couese it also helps to have your SO also be in on the purcahse. Mine actually picked this one because it is one of her favorite colors.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #11

Garage
As they say, "Happy wife, happy life"! Lots of flowers too! "Give her flora, and you get Porsche"!
1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnowles View Post
Of couese it also helps to have your SO also be in on the purcahse. Mine actually picked this one because it is one of her favorite colors.
So you are saying that a P-car doesn't make a good surprise?

Mine is a good sport when I get the itch to look at cars. I have to give her a lot of credit too; when we arrived at the previous owners place to see my future box, the guy looks at my wife, then me, and says "I see you brought a babysitter so you and I can take the Porsche for a ride." Apparently, he had two preteen kids and assumed that she was there to play nanny.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olddude View Post
As they say, "Happy wife, happy life"! Lots of flowers too! "Give her flora, and you get Porsche"!
Flora is for Porsche repairs/parts/upgrades. Entire car requires jewelry.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #14

Quote:

Mine is a good sport when I get the itch to look at cars. I have to give her a lot of credit too; when we arrived at the previous owners place to see my future box, the guy looks at my wife, then me, and says "I see you brought a babysitter so you and I can take the Porsche for a ride." Apparently, he had two preteen kids and assumed that she was there to play nanny.
LOL! "babysitter . . . " that's funny!
Old 04-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #15

Quote:
No, I'm saying a surprise (spring it on your spouse without prior knowledge/consent) is a bad thing. Period. If you are on the one getting the P-car. Now if you are buying for your SO, then a surprise might just be a good thing.

My wife an I are partners. Neither of us are in the dominant/submissive role in our marriage. Both of us enjoy the fruits of our labors. Doesn't matter who is making the money, who is making the majority of the money, or who is spending it. So long as it is available and surplus to our needs we can budget a purchase. But that is just what that means, we make the decision together and put it in the budget knowing when and how it will be spent.

Seems to work pretty well for the two of us, we are coming up on our 12 year anniversary at the end of June. And we're still happy together. I like it that way too.

However, I am having a diificult time - at the moment - getting her to understand that I really need another P-car so when I need to work on this one I can drive the other. She said, use mine or buy a cheap $1500 Honda or something.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #16

AKnowles; If your relationship is as good as you say it is (and I have no reason to doubt you, it sounds great) then there is something else going on. Is she worried or insecure about something?

Have a long talk, or just give it a rest for a while, then talk about it in 6 months maybe?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #17

Sounds to me like Rondo needs to grow a pair. My wife and I (21 years and counting) have always had our own money to spend as we see fit. She chooses to spend hers on trips, I tend to spend mine on hobbies. No "permission" is required in either direction. When I showed up with my Boxster one day, it wasn't a "surprise", nor did it require any bribes to appease "she who must be obeyed". It was simply a purchase decision that I made. And, although this is irrelevant to the decision, it has actually worked out really well because now some of her trips are road trips with me in the Boxster, meaning that she can enjoy my hobby and I can enjoy hers.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #18

Garage
It is interesting to me, how these forums can evolve, from an initial post of regret for selling a toy to advice on the opposite sex.

Life is just too short to deal with significant tension/confrontation, in any relationship, that stems from different tastes/values. It's also too short to deprive yourself of a 986 once your finances permit it.

Speaking of that, when is summer going to grace the midwest? I'm as tired of waiting for summer as I am tired of wining about it. April showers should not be white snow showers.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #19

Garage
Good thing is when you are ready, there are a lot of them out there.
Bad thing - you don't know what you are getting

If it's something you really feel strong about, as time goes by, you will figure it out.

Hope you join the ranks again
Old 04-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Sounds to me like Rondo needs to grow a pair. My wife and I (21 years and counting) have always had our own money to spend as we see fit. She chooses to spend hers on trips, I tend to spend mine on hobbies. No "permission" is required in either direction. When I showed up with my Boxster one day, it wasn't a "surprise", nor did it require any bribes to appease "she who must be obeyed". It was simply a purchase decision that I made. And, although this is irrelevant to the decision, it has actually worked out really well because now some of her trips are road trips with me in the Boxster, meaning that she can enjoy my hobby and I can enjoy hers.
Sigh . . .

I belong to a couple of other forums, and the question of couple's finances sometimes comes up. I've learned that there are many variations on how couples handle money. What works for you, might not work for others.

It's not anything to make a value judgement on.