Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #1

Approved oil Boxster

I'm interested in opinions on Castrol magnatec 5w 40 for a change from using Mobil 1, which has been used for all servicing on my Boxster.

Flyingwoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #2

Oil selection has been repeatedly discussed to death in this forum. Did you try using the search function before posting your question?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #3

I agree, there is a plethora of threads on this. That being said, I think the consensus is frequent oil changes every 5k miles is more important than the oil you use.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #4

Is Magnatec the EU name for Syntec Edge?
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #5

Look into:

Mobil 5W50
Joe Gibbs DT40 5W40
Redline 5W40
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Oil selection has been repeatedly discussed to death in this forum. Did you try using the search function before posting your question?
Actually, yes, I did. However since oïl manufacturers are constantly updating their products, new users are joining the forum all the time, and I couldn't find any decent information about Magnatec in the older posts, I thought it worth my while to pose a simple question.

Do you consider it worth your while to sit around posting troll responses to people's questions rather than actually making a useful contribution to the discussion? You've posted over 1000 times - how many of those were actually useful information? :troll:
Old 04-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwoolf View Post
Actually, yes, I did. However since oïl manufacturers are constantly updating their products, new users are joining the forum all the time, and I couldn't find any decent information about Magnatec in the older posts, I thought it worth my while to pose a simple question.

Do you consider it worth your while to sit around posting troll responses to people's questions rather than actually making a useful contribution to the discussion? You've posted over 1000 times - how many of those were actually useful information? :troll:
First of all, Castrol Magnatec is not currently available in North America, so no one here would have any practical experience to offer.

Secondly, this forum, like many others, is inundated with questions that could (and should be) answered by a simple search. Unfortunately, far too many posters want someone else to do their homework for them, and end up getting the response your inquiry elicited, so you need to expect the odd trite response to such a question.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #8

Most of them actually. When people come in looking for help and show that they have tried to find the answer themselves, then everyone here tries their best to help out.

But when one-post noobs come in asking what kind of oil to use, what kind of tires to buy, or why only one of their rear fog lights work, or any of the other topics that have been answered countless times already, then they can expect to get asked if they have at least made the effort to find the info themselves. It's a valid question under the circumstances.

So, in this case, your response that yes, you did look but couldn't find anything, was completely appropriate and will likely prompt a plethora of answers from members that have knowledge that may be of use to you.

Your smart-a$$ attitude in the second half of your post however was inappropriate and not appreciated.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #9

Jeez-

What's this? A cat fight?

Last edited by jotoole; 04-12-2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: typo
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #10

More like an attempted lesson in forum posting etiquette .............
Old 04-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
I'm interested in opinions on Castrol magnatec 5w 40 for a change from using Mobil 1, which has been used for all servicing on my Boxster.
From one newbie to another, welcome. I will disregard the tension between some of these posts and just add that frequent oil changes, using a quality synthetic oil (containing sufficient quantities of zinc and phosphorus) are more important than the name on the bottle. You should be able to find these quantities listed somewhere on the manufacturers' websites. After doing your homework do whatever you are comfortable with and enjoy your box.

Last edited by darknight; 04-12-2013 at 09:59 AM.
darknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
For the record, having been a part of this forum for a good number of years, I'd say a majority of Mark_T's posts have been something that's been helpful or at least informative to someone, or been a part of a discussion to that effect. There's no need to come into the forum with the gloves off already just because someone wanted to make sure you weren't being lazy. You didn't state in your first post that you did do a search and couldn't find anything on this particular oil, so the question to you about attempting a search was justified. I would have done the same if I'd caught this thread first, because there really are hundreds of posts in dozens of threads on this. No one is trolling here, so relax.

There is never a straight, simple answer to oil questions, because opinions get thrown in along with "facts" on paper, so you're bound to get as many opinions as you will get quantified responses. One thing that has been pointed out that is pretty legitimate advice is to change your oil at least every 5000 miles (sorry, I don't know the equivalent km offhand), and if you don't do that many kms in a year, then at least once a year regardless of the mileage. I've never heard of the oil you're talking about, and we don't have as many international members on here as we do US members, but maybe one of them will chime in if they see this and know about it. It could be that this is simply a different name for a similar oil here in the US. Again, as others have said though, it's more important that, whatever you use, you change it frequently enough that it will do its job of protecting your engine.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #13

Hey FW, Let me answer your question with what I do and how I feel about it. I have used Castrol oils in my motorcycles and cars for 41 years. Very good products. Mobil 1 has come along and I use that too. Here is how I feel about it. Motorcycles have always been running on Castrol. Cars can go with either brand. For the Boxster S I have used M-1 several times then switched to Castrol. Could not justify the extra expense and saw/heard no difference with the Castrol. Went back to M-1 just because I can buy it for half the price. I think most of todays modern synthetics are good to use. I stay with M-1 and Castrol because I have a long history of good service. With the high heat of my motorcycles and todays cars I'm more into using a 10/40 or 10/50 weight. Those 5 and zero weights make me uncomfortable. In the end you have to find your own sweet spot and decide what to use for your own reasons. Yes it is nice to hear how / why others choose and the results they get from those choices.

If I was filling the oil in your car for general purpose M-1 10w-40 would be my first choice. Change it by 5,000 miles.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Most of them actually. When people come in looking for help and show that they have tried to find the answer themselves, then everyone here tries their best to help out.

But when one-post noobs come in asking what kind of oil to use, what kind of tires to buy, or why only one of their rear fog lights work, or any of the other topics that have been answered countless times already, then they can expect to get asked if they have at least made the effort to find the info themselves. It's a valid question under the circumstances.

So, in this case, your response that yes, you did look but couldn't find anything, was completely appropriate and will likely prompt a plethora of answers from members that have knowledge that may be of use to you.

Your smart-a$$ attitude in the second half of your post however was inappropriate and not appreciated.
I'm sorry, I didn't realise that this was a North America only forum. I'll stick to my own forums here in Europe from now on. By the way, my 'smart a$$ attitude' was prompted by your reply which was effectively policing the forum without offering any helpful advice or information for a new user. Thank you for the welcome (not!)
Old 04-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #15

Quote:
I'm sorry, I didn't realise that this was a North America only forum. I'll stick to my own forums here in Europe from now on. By the way, my 'smart a$$ attitude' was prompted by your reply which was effectively policing the forum without offering any helpful advice or information for a new user. Thank you for the welcome (not!)
As no website has geographic limitation, your comment is inappropriate.

But if you had done a quick search before posting, you would have been able to ascertain that Castrol does not market the product in question here, so no one here could be of any help to you in any case.............
Old 04-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #16
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Ok, at this point you're just trying to pick a fight because the first response you got was not the kind of help you were expecting. No one ever said this is a "North America only" forum, so please stop trying to play victim and be hurt over absolutely nothing. While JFP in PA probably overspoke in saying no one around here would know about the oil, all I said is the majority of the users are from the US. We don't turn anyone away around here (they usually turn themselves away by overreacting), but we also like to see that people put some effort into reading the Sticky threads and the "READ THIS FIRST" threads that tell you to do things like searching before posting about a topic. All you had to do was answer Mark_T's question with a "Yes, I did search and I found nothing on this oil". You didn't have to add all the extra stuff because no one here has been trolling you, and it is highly likely that just about any oil question has been answered already.

Yes, posting your question is worthwhile, because you're brigning up an oil we haven't heard of before. There's also a way to pose your question that shows you're both thorough and civil, and you did not do that. If you choose to let that keep you away from this forum, that's entirely your choice, but none of the folks who have responded to you have been particularly harsh, nor wrong in their statements or observations.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #17

Garage
You have to try this... Move your mouse over the area identified as "See, Hear and Feel the Difference":

Castrol Magnatec. Instant protection from the moment you turn the key | Castrol Magnatec

Wow... I am sold... When are we getting this product here in the U.S.?

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
You have to try this... Move your mouse over the area identified as "See, Hear and Feel the Difference":

Castrol Magnatec. Instant protection from the moment you turn the key | Castrol Magnatec

Wow... I am sold... When are we getting this product here in the U.S.?
I watched two minutes and 36 seconds of the video; I decided to stop watching as soon as the dude in the video dumbed down the term "abrasion." He even used an "abrasive block" and rubbed this against a chunk of metal to illustrate this concept to the rest of us earthlings
darknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:06 AM   #19

Personally I was really hoping they would have had 5 or 6 more people dragging their thumb nails across the two cams, with more of the inane "smooth" and "rough" commentary---I just couldn't get enough of that! At the end of the vid, I half expected the engineer to say "This oil is really going to make you..." while he wrote "happy" on the glass!

Yeah, it was most definitely dumbed-down to the point where someone barely smart enough to figure out how to insert the key into the ignition would probably understand. Unfortunately, I guess that's what advertising has come to anymore. Still, it does look like potentially promising stuff...
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:16 AM   #20

Oh man I couldn't get through a 16 minute video but I did like dragging my mouse across the rough part.

I personally have Mobile 1 0w40 in the car because that's what it came with (replaced the IMS with the LN Dual Row Ceramic after the PPI and before I took possession and the oil was changed with that) but I am going to change the oil with Castrol Edge with Syntec (whichever the latest name is) 5w40 at my next oil change.

Steve

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote