Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
I am my own mechanic....

Shok talk....

So I always assumed the "pssssst" when going over larger bumps were from the fine, performance shocks and maybe even part of the PSM.

Then I woke up, read a thread that talked about these shocks being blown and having air in them and making that sound.

Frack.

So, if I'm not a track guy, what can I expect to feel different in replacing both rears with stock shocks vs aftermarket performance? What's the inbetween? What's the best source for a reasonable priced shock? It's my daily driver.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Then I woke up, read a thread that talked about these shocks being blown and having air in them and making that sound.
LOL, Sometimes the more one reads online, the more paranoid one becomes. If you don't believe me, google a couple of symptoms of the common cold and you may think that you could have something far more severe.

I would think what you are describing is the normal damping function of the shocks. When they fail, you will generally experience a car that will oscillate up and down or else they will leak fluid. If your car is not doing either of those two things, then I would save the money for something else.

Last edited by darknight; 04-14-2013 at 07:09 PM.
darknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight View Post
LOL, Sometimes the more one reads online, the more paranoid one becomes. If you don't believe me, google a couple of symptoms of the common cold and you may think that you could have something far more severe.

I would think what you are describing is the normal damping function of the shocks. When they fail, you will generally experience a car that will oscillate up and down or else they will leak fluid. If your car is not doing either of those two things, then I would save the money for something else.
No leaks, just the "psssst" over medium + bumps.

Something that doesn't need to be replaced???????????????

Car rides great, not a singe ride issue.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #4

Garage
If there are no ride issues, no leaks, and it was my box, I'd forget about it.

Being particular about cars, I can understand your concern; however, both of the 986's that I have driven, made some noise when going over moderate bumps. Almost like the "pst" noise that a can of spray paint makes when you quickly press and release the top. It's most noticeable when the suspension travels over a speed bump or a driveway approach, in my experience.
darknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight View Post
If there are no ride issues, no leaks, and it was my box, I'd forget about it.

Being particular about cars, I can understand your concern; however, both of the 986's that I have driven, made some noise when going over moderate bumps. Almost like the "pst" noise that a can of spray paint makes when you quickly press and release the top. It's most noticeable when the suspension travels over a speed bump or a driveway approach, in my experience.
Yes, this exactly. I'm not looking to swap out every possible part, but am particular about keeping this car running right. The U/D pulley sounds like a worthy fix, but I'm not sold on desnork and delete cat pipes. I don't think all that time & effort is worth 10 HP at most....
Old 04-15-2013, 04:54 AM   #6

you have an 04 so there is no de- snork needed. a high flow air filter is about all you need there. there is a lot to be gained with the delete pipes. first is a good bump in power , you will loose a good 30 pounds of weight and with the cats gone it makes working under the car much easier because of all the extra room and easy removal . don't forget you also get a more porsche like exhaust sound since you already have the factory sport muffler.

Quote:
Yes, this exactly. I'm not looking to swap out every possible part, but am particular about keeping this car running right. The U/D pulley sounds like a worthy fix, but I'm not sold on desnork and delete cat pipes. I don't think all that time & effort is worth 10 HP at most....
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:02 AM   #7
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean View Post
you have an 04 so there is no de- snork needed. a high flow air filter is about all you need there. there is a lot to be gained with the delete pipes. first is a good bump in power , you will loose a good 30 pounds of weight and with the cats gone it makes working under the car much easier because of all the extra room and easy removal . don't forget you also get a more porsche like exhaust sound since you already have the factory sport muffler.
Thanks. I will look back into this.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #8

Quote:
The U/D pulley sounds like a worthy fix, but I'm not sold on desnork and delete cat pipes. I don't think all that time & effort is worth 10 HP at most....
BOOM! read this. mainly post numero uno! you dont have to believe hearsay, but cannot argue with a dyno result! (on our own site ) Finally: Dyno charts of de-snorked 986S!!!