Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
I am my own mechanic....
 
Timco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 3,433
Shok talk....

So I always assumed the "pssssst" when going over larger bumps were from the fine, performance shocks and maybe even part of the PSM.

Then I woke up, read a thread that talked about these shocks being blown and having air in them and making that sound.

Frack.

So, if I'm not a track guy, what can I expect to feel different in replacing both rears with stock shocks vs aftermarket performance? What's the inbetween? What's the best source for a reasonable priced shock? It's my daily driver.
__________________
'04 Boxster S 50 Jahre 550 Spyder Anniversary Special Edition, 851 of 1953, 6-sp, IMS/RMS, GT Metallic silver, cocoa brown leather SOLD to member Broken Linkage.
'08 VW Touareg T-3 wife's car
'13 F150 Super Crew long bed 4x4 w/ Ego Boost
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Registered User
 
darknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 62
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Then I woke up, read a thread that talked about these shocks being blown and having air in them and making that sound.
LOL, Sometimes the more one reads online, the more paranoid one becomes. If you don't believe me, google a couple of symptoms of the common cold and you may think that you could have something far more severe.

I would think what you are describing is the normal damping function of the shocks. When they fail, you will generally experience a car that will oscillate up and down or else they will leak fluid. If your car is not doing either of those two things, then I would save the money for something else.

Last edited by darknight; 04-14-2013 at 07:09 PM.
darknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
I am my own mechanic....
 
Timco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight View Post
LOL, Sometimes the more one reads online, the more paranoid one becomes. If you don't believe me, google a couple of symptoms of the common cold and you may think that you could have something far more severe.

I would think what you are describing is the normal damping function of the shocks. When they fail, you will generally experience a car that will oscillate up and down or else they will leak fluid. If your car is not doing either of those two things, then I would save the money for something else.
No leaks, just the "psssst" over medium + bumps.

Something that doesn't need to be replaced???????????????

Car rides great, not a singe ride issue.
__________________
'04 Boxster S 50 Jahre 550 Spyder Anniversary Special Edition, 851 of 1953, 6-sp, IMS/RMS, GT Metallic silver, cocoa brown leather SOLD to member Broken Linkage.
'08 VW Touareg T-3 wife's car
'13 F150 Super Crew long bed 4x4 w/ Ego Boost
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Registered User
 
darknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 62
Garage
If there are no ride issues, no leaks, and it was my box, I'd forget about it.

Being particular about cars, I can understand your concern; however, both of the 986's that I have driven, made some noise when going over moderate bumps. Almost like the "pst" noise that a can of spray paint makes when you quickly press and release the top. It's most noticeable when the suspension travels over a speed bump or a driveway approach, in my experience.
darknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
I am my own mechanic....
 
Timco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight View Post
If there are no ride issues, no leaks, and it was my box, I'd forget about it.

Being particular about cars, I can understand your concern; however, both of the 986's that I have driven, made some noise when going over moderate bumps. Almost like the "pst" noise that a can of spray paint makes when you quickly press and release the top. It's most noticeable when the suspension travels over a speed bump or a driveway approach, in my experience.
Yes, this exactly. I'm not looking to swap out every possible part, but am particular about keeping this car running right. The U/D pulley sounds like a worthy fix, but I'm not sold on desnork and delete cat pipes. I don't think all that time & effort is worth 10 HP at most....
__________________
'04 Boxster S 50 Jahre 550 Spyder Anniversary Special Edition, 851 of 1953, 6-sp, IMS/RMS, GT Metallic silver, cocoa brown leather SOLD to member Broken Linkage.
'08 VW Touareg T-3 wife's car
'13 F150 Super Crew long bed 4x4 w/ Ego Boost
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:54 AM   #6
Registered User
 
jacabean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: mass
Posts: 731
you have an 04 so there is no de- snork needed. a high flow air filter is about all you need there. there is a lot to be gained with the delete pipes. first is a good bump in power , you will loose a good 30 pounds of weight and with the cats gone it makes working under the car much easier because of all the extra room and easy removal . don't forget you also get a more porsche like exhaust sound since you already have the factory sport muffler.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Yes, this exactly. I'm not looking to swap out every possible part, but am particular about keeping this car running right. The U/D pulley sounds like a worthy fix, but I'm not sold on desnork and delete cat pipes. I don't think all that time & effort is worth 10 HP at most....
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:02 AM   #7
I am my own mechanic....
 
Timco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean View Post
you have an 04 so there is no de- snork needed. a high flow air filter is about all you need there. there is a lot to be gained with the delete pipes. first is a good bump in power , you will loose a good 30 pounds of weight and with the cats gone it makes working under the car much easier because of all the extra room and easy removal . don't forget you also get a more porsche like exhaust sound since you already have the factory sport muffler.
Thanks. I will look back into this.
__________________
'04 Boxster S 50 Jahre 550 Spyder Anniversary Special Edition, 851 of 1953, 6-sp, IMS/RMS, GT Metallic silver, cocoa brown leather SOLD to member Broken Linkage.
'08 VW Touareg T-3 wife's car
'13 F150 Super Crew long bed 4x4 w/ Ego Boost
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #8
Registered User
 
ccstud17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
The U/D pulley sounds like a worthy fix, but I'm not sold on desnork and delete cat pipes. I don't think all that time & effort is worth 10 HP at most....
BOOM! read this. mainly post numero uno! you dont have to believe hearsay, but cannot argue with a dyno result! (on our own site ) Finally: Dyno charts of de-snorked 986S!!!
__________________
Stop lights timed for 30 MPH, are also timed for 60 and 90 MPH!
ccstud17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page