Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #1

A few technical questions?

Greeting Porsche aficionados! I have a few technical/electrical questions that someone may be able to shed light on. I have a 99" Boxster with issues in the door locking mechanism and the driver seat. The Driver seat is power but will not move. Fuse checks out OK, when depressing the buttons I can hear a CLICK coming from the modules/control unit under the seat. The door locks activate when the interior button on the dash is depressed - You can LOCK and UNLOCK from there. However, using the key - it does nothing. I have never owned a Boxster, so I don't know if the locking system in the doors is electronic (hence you don't feel anything turning with the key) or mechanical? I would like to further test the control unit under the seat, but I cannot move the seat forward - its all the way back. Is there a way to manually move the Boxster seat forward?

cartopics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Check for moisture or moisture damage under the drivers seat.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #3

I would if I could...I asked if there is a way to remove the seat.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Of course there is a way to remove the seat, but you didn't ask
Remove the 4 bolts securing the frame. If you can't access the bolts due to seat position, you'll have to figure out a way to move it. No easy way comes to mind, so you'll probably just have to be creative. Once you get it out, remove and thoroughly clean the immobilizer unit. Check all contacts for corrosion, including the onboard fuse.

Clear the drain lines to prevent future water infiltration. There are numerous posts on the moisture subject along with remedies.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
Usercpy

Garage
Remember disconnect battery first..... or it may make error light on the dashboard display when discharge the unit....
Old 04-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #6

Thanks guys for all the hints...However, my question was and still is: How to remove the driver seat if there is no power going to it? The motor does not move it forward or back or any way.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

This is my first thought: The motor usually turns a cable or a screw. Reach under the seat (vice-grips?) and manually turn it to move the seat. This approach may be awkward, hard to reach, and very, very slow, but it might work. Or find a way to disconnect the control/cable mechanism to allow the seat to slide manually.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 04-12-2013 at 08:37 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #8

I just thought that the factory HAS to have a procedure to move the seat forward or back when there is a fault in the system. I am pretty sure that I am not the only one that has issues with the power seat.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #9

Wild idea and have no idea if it will work. Try pushing the button on the side of the seat while also pushing the seat forward from the back. Maybe it just needs a jogging to get it started moving

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote