Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 03:00 AM   #1
Beginner

Garage
Thoughts on Driving school

Now that my Box is running I'm thinking about signing up for driving school. I live within striking distance of Texas World Speedway (TWS) and they have a performance driving school that looks interesting. Anyone have experience to share on taking a performance driving course? Equipment needed, car modifications that should be done? Other things?

Old 01-30-2014, 03:39 AM   #2

LSR PCA is holding DE this weekend at TWS.

This will be my second time heading out there - can't wait!

LSR PCA Driver's Education

These events fill up quickly for participation once registration opens, but I think you can get in during the day if you want to check out the scene.
ATX_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:54 AM   #3

Have you autocrossed and DE with your local Porsche club first?

Those lessons can take a full season to sink in. Some less so.
The first goal is to get absolutely comfortable in the car to the point where you are only concentrating on what's in your far field of vision instead of the near field.

That takes seat time. Going to a proper driving school before any of this will be premature in that you'll get a lot more out of the school (and your caysh) if you're (somewhat) familiar the limits of your car beforehand.

Or you can do it anyway...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-30-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Agreed that the best combination is a few AX days followed by a PDS. It will solidify all that you have learned in AX. A PDS first is not a total loss but there are realistic limits on how much you can absorb in a weekend.

One of the best PDS in the country is offered twice a year in Sandy Eggo. The cost is only $350 for full weekend including an evening chalk talk, full day of exercises, and full day of non-competitive AX course. Breakfast and lunch are included. A lotta bang for the buck.

Sound tires and brakes, fresh fluids, and a willing attitude are all that is required here.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:49 AM   #5

^ that's a steal.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #6

I've been to the San Diego Porsche Performance Driving School and it was a blast.

You don't need any experience at all other than knowing how to operate your car (ie shift, steer, brake, turn traction control off etc).

You will be spinning out and breaking heavily so your brakes and tires have to be in decent shape. You will be wearing a helmet so either get your own or use the rentals. You can pick one up for under $150 or borrow one that "current"(ie 2010+).
Try saferacer.com amoungst many others.

You will also be bumping cones so if you are afraid of minor scratches you can blue tape around the edges of the wheel wheels, and front bumper.

You will learn how to drive YOUR car like a racer, to the limits of its traction and your ability with an instructor in the passenger seat.

They group the students by car type so you will learn all the tricks and quirks of driving your Type. (mid engine, rear engine, front engine)

There is a classroom talk that teaches the concepts of the racing line, apex's etc and is very enlightening.

You will also learn collision avoidance maneuvers, some of which are counter intuitive but work incredibly well.

Many exercises are done on wet soaped course so you will learn great wet handling skills as well.

Its so much fun many folks do the course more than once.

I doubt anyone leaves without a big grin on their face and becomes a much safer driver having learned their car's and their own limits.
(Blue student shirts say ... "Sometime in order to find your limits, you need to exceed them" ....exactly what happens during the course )

Also, you'll make some new Porsche friends and its a perfect intro to Auto-x and DE driving.

All smiles as far as I can tell.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 01-30-2014 at 11:01 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

I started my track career by attending a one-day performance driving school held at a local race track. I had so much fun that I bought my first Boxster and well.... now I have a racing license and a full time race car. Its a slippery slope.

In terms of prep for your car, I'd say that if its been maintained properly, then it should be good to go as long as you have adequate brake pads and tires. Unless you're Alain Prost, you are unlikely to drive hard enough on your first track day to require anything beyond a well maintained stock vehicle. And if you are Alain Prost, then you're also smart enough to know to back it down to a level where you won't exceed the capabilities of a stock vehicle.

On the other hand, if you haven't ever changed your brake fluid and/or are still running those 40,000+ mile spark plugs (or recently bought the car and don't know the history) then you would be well advised to catch up on all of the deferred maintanence before hitting the track.

Last, I'd simply say: DO IT! You will be guarenteed to have more fun that you ever thought legal in a car.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I started my track career by attending a one-day performance driving school held at a local race track. I had so much fun that I bought my first Boxster and well.... now I have a racing license and a full time race car. Its a slippery slope.

In terms of prep for your car, I'd say that if its been maintained properly, then it should be good to go as long as you have adequate brake pads and tires. Unless you're Alain Prost, you are unlikely to drive hard enough on your first track day to require anything beyond a well maintained stock vehicle. And if you are Alain Prost, then you're also smart enough to know to back it down to a level where you won't exceed the capabilities of a stock vehicle.

On the other hand, if you haven't ever changed your brake fluid and/or are still running those 40,000+ mile spark plugs (or recently bought the car and don't know the history) then you would be well advised to catch up on all of the deferred maintanence before hitting the track.

Last, I'd simply say: DO IT! You will be guarenteed to have more fun that you ever thought legal in a car.
Flush the brake fluid, make sure you have at least 1/2 the pad material on your brakes, DE is really tough on stock pads.

Inspect your tires, make sure you don't have any nails or screws in your tires that could cause a blowout. Make sure your wheels are torqued to spec and check them again after the first session.

Most people lower the tire pressure because the tires will heat up. I run the same pressure on all tires and try to keep them around 35-37 hot.

Check the power steering fluid and make sure it's full but not overfilled.

Have fun, it's a blast.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:23 AM   #9
Track rat

Garage
Ray, you were a hoot at that PDS event and it looks like my brother Dan instructing in your right seat. Bring your car out to Streets this month for the DE/TT. The evening festivities at the Boxster Bros compound are almost as fun as the track driving.