Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #1

Thumbs up 996 GT3 bumper cover, with pics

I have no affiliation with gt3tek, but that is where this bumper came from. product page
Ordering was very easy and Armando worked on price for me.
service from them has been 100% but the bumper fit id give an 80% (I am slightly OCD tho)

I LOVE the fact that it took away the "miata" nose, which I hated. not a huge fan of all the vent especially the top ones, but its better than the miata nose lol

I NEED TO DE AMBER IT SOOOOOOOO BADLY!!!!!

Here we get to see the "fit" issues. Personally it drives me insane I am OCD for straight lines, so i will see how i can better fit it, might have to make mock lines with seem filler.

The Porsche shop said that the bumper went on relatively easy, just that little fitment issue

sorry for not sending pics of it all shiny and waxed, but this is more for informational purposes lol

ccstud17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
Oh hell yeah!!! Shoulda been like that from the factory, especially in Arctic Silver! And de-amber all the way.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #3

You'll notice that imperfection a little less once you harvest those pumpkins.
A clear side marker will blend that area a lot better. Neon orange draws attention to exactly that spot.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #4

I like it except for the vents up top. I was actually going to buy this, but decided against it because of the vents. I would return it or ask for a big discount if I got it that way. These guys sell their products as fitting with little or no mods. I hear they are easy to deal with so I would call them.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #5

Garage
Nothing against you or your vehicle ccstud17, but here's a clear example of why I caution others about placing too much emphasis and hype on polyurethane when it comes to aftermarket aero parts and body kits. It's a great material when all things are perfect. However, when they're not you're SOL, because poly can't be manipulated to fit like a composite material can be. And, for all that it's faulted for, fiberglass can be shaped and tweaked in every way possible in order to create the perfect fit.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #6

Ckrikos: I talked with Armando for about an hour talking about price of not having those top vents, the price would have been too much. they used to make it without the vents like the red one pictured on their page, but that one was the first one they made and its actually fiberglass, so for urethane they'd need a brand new mold.

J.D: we will see when i get the car back if there is anyway i can adjust the mounting position to fill the gap. The install was by the Porsche dealer and i have a feeling they didnt try real hard to fill the gap. bumper is not from them so they can do a quick install and move on with all blame falling on GT3tek. Also after this wreck I will always use poly on the front bumper. Smashed the piss out of the front end on a curb yet only damage to bumper was the cracked paint! then again, if you dont use the Dmobile as a battering ram, then fiberglass would be just fine lol

Jfro: love that look, and luckily out here in CO they dont mind me not having a front plate
Old 04-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccstud17 View Post
Ckrikos: I talked with Armando for about an hour talking about price of not having those top vents, the price would have been too much. they used to make it without the vents like the red one pictured on their page, but that one was the first one they made and its actually fiberglass, so for urethane they'd need a brand new mold.

J.D: we will see when i get the car back if there is anyway i can adjust the mounting position to fill the gap. The install was by the Porsche dealer and i have a feeling they didnt try real hard to fill the gap. bumper is not from them so they can do a quick install and move on with all blame falling on GT3tek. Also after this wreck I will always use poly on the front bumper. Smashed the piss out of the front end on a curb yet only damage to bumper was the cracked paint! then again, if you dont use the Dmobile as a battering ram, then fiberglass would be just fine lol

Jfro: love that look, and luckily out here in CO they dont mind me not having a front plate
Good luck on the refit. It may be that the dealership didn't put the time and effort in. On the issue of fiberglass, I agree that it doesn't handle impact very well. That aside, it can be shaped to make a perfect fit every time. And for individuals like you and me who are super OCD - that's critical !
Old 04-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #8

I also ordered from GT3tek, the rear bumper cover . They are easy to deal with and ship promptly. They were running a steep sale at the time so check their website if you're thinking about ordering. I didn't plan on doing anything with the rear bumper but after finding it that it wasn't fiberglass I decided to give it shot. I had fiberglass on my previous car and some guy rear ended me. Had it repaired and it ended up cracking right in the middle below the license plate a 2nd and 3rd time before I gave up. A real eye sore.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #9

Garage
Why dress up a 986 like a GT3? It isn't so move on!
Just mixing it up.... Lol!?
Old 04-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I think a lot of it has to do with freshening up the look...not so much trying to make it look like something it's not.

I was a purist for the first 2years of ownership, but I got bored with the look. I haven't done any actual changes to the body shape, but may do so in another year or two when I get bored with my latest iteration.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexPorsche View Post
Why dress up a 986 like a GT3? It isn't so move on!
Just mixing it up.... Lol!?
bashed a curb, so for the price of an OE bumper. i got an aftermarket one that made the car have a shape i like A LOT MORE!
I know its going to piss purists off, but that is what I am here for!!! :dance:
---

Another note for the install, buy your black mesh/screen for intakes after you get the bumper, its really hard to match the sizes up for the duct intakes to the 3 vents near the frunk
Old 04-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #12

Making one Porsche look like another Porsche is a pretty common practice I've seen countless times with 911 clones, 911 backdating, 911 updating, 911 made to look like 911 GT3's, taking upgraded wheels from a Turbo and putting it on a standard 911, etc. and I've even received inquiries from 911 owners wanting my 17" lobster claws to give their oldster a more updated look.

And generally speaking it's hard to really say that you're trying to make a Boxster look like a Carrera when the car is solidly littered with 996 part numbers. If you count the engine as one part, the 986 is arguably "70% Carrera" by part number.

The factory produced the Boxster and first water-cooled generation Carrera simultaneously to be one design for two cars. Any other brand would have simply called the 986 the roadster 911 (or Carrera roadster since 911s are no longer made) and used an existing engine or even the new base 996 engine. They wouldn't have gone out of their way to come up with a deliberately smaller engine nor come up with a whole new model name when nearly all of the work was already done. The 986 is essentially a 99-01 Carrera with a diferent rear and of course with the engine in the best possible place for a sprint racer.
Or alternatively, the first gen water-cooled Carrera is essentially a Boxster with a different rear end. same thing since it was a "two birds with one stone" multi-use design.
For instance if BMW had decided to make a two seater M3 they wouldn't have put in a non-M series engine and called it the Bavaria or something. M3 roadster, period. The entire premise of Porsche calling it a Boxster was essentially to upsell and protect the Carrera image.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-05-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #13

Garage
ha ha - i love this stuff.
reason i commented was i got ripped for asking about changing the metal hood crest for the stick-on decal hood crest from the GT2/3.

It was suggested i was trying to pass my 986 of as something it wasn't - so i thought what the heck....lets start a debate.

I am a long way from being a purist...i just like causing trouble. All in good spirits though.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #14

Garage
even changed my avatar - just for added effect!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexPorsche View Post
ha ha - i love this stuff.
reason i commented was i got ripped for asking about changing the metal hood crest for the stick-on decal hood crest from the GT2/3.

It was suggested i was trying to pass my 986 of as something it wasn't - so i thought what the heck....lets start a debate.

I am a long way from being a purist...i just like causing trouble. All in good spirits though.
I saw that thread and felt bad for the flack you were getting lol.
the only thing that gets me is that one car with the giant "Gemballa" sticker on it when it is indeed not a Gemballa lol
Old 04-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #16

Garage
CC
It's all good, that's what make life interesting. People are do diverse and options vary. IMHO people should do what they are happy with, but every so often I like to run things past the brotherhood, just in case I'm way off. Bottom line is if I wanted to make a particular mod, I would do it anyway. Regardless.

On that note, may I say the bumper cover looks sweet.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #17

The GT2 has has a different hood crest?

Or are you reffering to the graphics like on the RS 4.0 ?

Nobody should flame you for adding any sort of graphics.
As far as exterior mods, there's nothing pure about Porsches.
You want purists, go on the Rolls Royce forums. Those guys get their
pantys in bind because their using the wrong kind of bolt fastener.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #18

Garage
PL,

This:
https://www.****************************************************.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=587cd9282a7eac7d5b90a02292 4123ca&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=09112955699