Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #21
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan topping View Post
Meir,
I replaced all the plastic parts (11-13) because I was in there anyway.
If you want to replace the foam seals the P/N for the kit is 000-043-300-45. I paid about $55 for the kit which includes some parts you won't need/use but got the foam & some other little rubber pieces to replace.
Take your time & follow Mike Focke's instructions posted here, they are the most detailed & complete.
If I can be any help let me know.
Thanks Bryan.
I apriceate that.

Last edited by Meir; 04-02-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #22

Garage
Update

Thought I'd share an update, since it's been about 2 weeks since installing. We've gotten quite a few days of rain since, and I'm happy to say that there are no leaks and no musty smell anymore. I've been really happy with the top and the smaller glass window hasn't been an issue at all. I haven't had to access the engine since, but I'm not too worried about that.

I do have a problem. Since you're supposed to wait at least a week before operating your top after the install, I didn't notice this until more recently, but when I go to close the top, the two side cables don't automatically seat themselves in the channel where they used to.

I found a link:
https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/convertibletopedgedoesnotfallintoguidech

So, with the brittle part #12 that was mentioned earlier in this thread, I decided to order 2 new ones (right & left) along with the "pins" and see if I can install them relatively easily and see if that helps. I will definitely let you know. I noticed that the top rivet does not stay in like it should, so I'll see if this fixes.

One thing to note. When I did my uninstall, I only found 1 of the part #13 pins (which I'd mentioned) and just assumed that the other 3 were lost. So when I went to order new plastic, I was told that instead of 4 pins like I'd thought, there are really only 2 on our cars. So, I was wrong before when I said you'd need 4, but I guess it never hurts to have extra...

Anyway, so far that's the only complaint. It's easy enough to just reach and push the cable into the channel when you're closing it, but I'd like to not have to do this each time.

Last edited by TheProspector; 04-15-2013 at 12:39 PM.
TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #23

Hey Prospector

I got a new glass top installed last year and it did the same thing. I waited 3 weeks before I opened mine and it still did it. From what I was told the reason is that material needs time to stretch. As time goes on and as it gets warmer the top will stretch naturally and eventually you won't have to push them together any more. Hope this helps.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgama25 View Post
Hey Prospector

I got a new glass top installed last year and it did the same thing. I waited 3 weeks before I opened mine and it still did it. From what I was told the reason is that material needs time to stretch. As time goes on and as it gets warmer the top will stretch naturally and eventually you won't have to push them together any more. Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for the tip! I'll see what happens as the weather warms up.
TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProspector View Post
Thank you so much for the tip! I'll see what happens as the weather warms up.
No problem....Also, I don't know if it was mentioned before, but make sure to protect you new top with Ragg Topp cleaner and Protectant. The water will just Bead off easily (your top will stay dry) and your top will last a lot longer. Here's a youtube video of a test. I highly recommend it if you haven't done it yet. Dach Imprägnierung mit Ragg Topp - YouTube