Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Lorne

Flat Towing Manual Transmission Boxsters

I examined an earlier post on dingy towing behind a motorhome but did not see any replies that supported the idea or critically nixed it, so would like to raise it again. If anyone has solid info on how to flat tow the boxster manual transmission models I would be most interested to discuss it. Alternatively if there is a mechanical deficiency that prohibits flat towing such as drive train incompatibility or physical issues with frame connection that would be helpful as well. Porsche HQ thus far has not replied to my inquire. I have just retired and am looking at a used 2005 boxster but can only justify it if I can tow it on our trips across the US and Canada. The owners manual says you cannot flat tow the car but does not say why other than the implication that the tow hook connection is very limited in its capability.

Lorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #2

Flat tow Boxster

Did you find out anything regarding flat towing a boxster with manual transmission? If so please email me at jacksaucerman@gmail.com.
jsaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #3

Garage
Never anything helpful. I've seen 2 cars being towed About the time I asked about 4 years ago I saw a Boxster being pulled out of Road Atlanta. and last fall on route 15 south near my home a 911. Other sites had about 944's and 928's being flat towed but I never got any positive feedback on one of these. Finally gave up and bought a trailer. The 2 items that were common to all replies the front has no real support to mount to, and the all aluminum front suspension may not take the stress cause by being forcibly turned in stead of being steered.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote