Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #1

Should I use a CAR COVER?

I just purchased a 2003 Boxster and since it will be parked on the driveway year round do you recommend I use a car cover or will it do more damage than good If you recommend to use one then which brand is good? Thanks!

evo-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo-r View Post
I just purchased a 2003 Boxster and since it will be parked on the driveway year round do you recommend I use a car cover or will it do more damage than good If you recommend to use one then which brand is good? Thanks!
Lots of sun, snow, rain, wind, sand......?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Lots of sun, snow, rain, wind, sand......?
I'm in Long Island NY so we get all of the above except sand and since the driveway is facing west so it'll be exposed to the sun a lot.
evo-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
imho it will be good. get a high quality outdoor one and keep your car clean.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #5

Garage
Most damage is done by the sun and abrasive stuff like sand.
Try to protect your car from the sun from Spring until Fall, in Winter the sun cannot do much damage. However, all the crap ending up on our car in Winter can embed itself in your cover and start damaging your paint. Make sure the cover stays really clean on the inside or don't put it on in Winter.
Of course you also would like to protect the top in Winter, so maybe in Winter you're better off with a top cover only.
Get a cover that breaths. I have a couple of Noah ones for my cars. Don't expect them to last more than 3 to 4 years, though.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #6

I have been using a cover everyday since I got the car 5 years ago. Using a Covercraft Evolution.
NEVER put the cover on if the car is dirty. The dirt will embed in the cover and abrade the paint. I always wash the car first before putting the cover on if the car is dirty. The price you pay for parking outside and using a cover.
I also wash the cover every year to keep the inner surface as clean as possible. My paint doesn't show any signs of car cover wear marks.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
I have been using a cover everyday since I got the car 5 years ago. Using a Covercraft Evolution.
NEVER put the cover on if the car is dirty. The dirt will embed in the cover and abrade the paint. I always wash the car first before putting the cover on if the car is dirty. The price you pay for parking outside and using a cover.
I also wash the cover every year to keep the inner surface as clean as possible. My paint doesn't show any signs of car cover wear marks.
Kudos to you...that routine takes a lot of time and discipline. And dirty is a relative term...using the car daily for 1 week can get the car pretty "dirty."

06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote