986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Should I use a CAR COVER? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/43877-should-i-use-car-cover.html)

evo-r 03-29-2013 05:26 PM

Should I use a CAR COVER?

I just purchased a 2003 Boxster and since it will be parked on the driveway year round do you recommend I use a car cover or will it do more damage than good :confused: If you recommend to use one then which brand is good? Thanks!

Timco 03-29-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evo-r (Post 334110)
I just purchased a 2003 Boxster and since it will be parked on the driveway year round do you recommend I use a car cover or will it do more damage than good :confused: If you recommend to use one then which brand is good? Thanks!

Lots of sun, snow, rain, wind, sand......?

evo-r 03-29-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 334113)
Lots of sun, snow, rain, wind, sand......?

I'm in Long Island NY so we get all of the above except sand and since the driveway is facing west so it'll be exposed to the sun a lot.

WhipE350 03-29-2013 08:05 PM

imho it will be good. get a high quality outdoor one and keep your car clean.

nieuwhzn 03-29-2013 08:42 PM

Most damage is done by the sun and abrasive stuff like sand.
Try to protect your car from the sun from Spring until Fall, in Winter the sun cannot do much damage. However, all the crap ending up on our car in Winter can embed itself in your cover and start damaging your paint. Make sure the cover stays really clean on the inside or don't put it on in Winter.
Of course you also would like to protect the top in Winter, so maybe in Winter you're better off with a top cover only.
Get a cover that breaths. I have a couple of Noah ones for my cars. Don't expect them to last more than 3 to 4 years, though.

Spinnaker 03-29-2013 09:38 PM

I have been using a cover everyday since I got the car 5 years ago. Using a Covercraft Evolution.
NEVER put the cover on if the car is dirty. The dirt will embed in the cover and abrade the paint. I always wash the car first before putting the cover on if the car is dirty. The price you pay for parking outside and using a cover.
I also wash the cover every year to keep the inner surface as clean as possible. My paint doesn't show any signs of car cover wear marks.

986_c6 03-29-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinnaker (Post 334150)
I have been using a cover everyday since I got the car 5 years ago. Using a Covercraft Evolution.
NEVER put the cover on if the car is dirty. The dirt will embed in the cover and abrade the paint. I always wash the car first before putting the cover on if the car is dirty. The price you pay for parking outside and using a cover.
I also wash the cover every year to keep the inner surface as clean as possible. My paint doesn't show any signs of car cover wear marks.

Kudos to you...that routine takes a lot of time and discipline. And dirty is a relative term...using the car daily for 1 week can get the car pretty "dirty."