Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
Beginner

Garage
Window Woes

Perhaps someone has seen a Boxster window do this before. When the door handle is lifted to open the door, the window motor runs to lower the window, but the window does not lower. You can then coax it down with your hand to open the door. Replacing the window regulator seems like a correct fix, but before going off half cocked and doing that I thought I'd see if someone on the Forum had experiance with this or a better ideahttp://www.986forum.com/forums/images/smilies/nopity.gif

Jim

Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #2

I had this happening to me. I would pull the passenger latch and the window would not drop the expected 1/4 inch. Once I opened the door, I found I could easily push the window down the 1/4 inch. This is a classic symptom of a broken window regulator.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #3

My pictures are no longer hosted by the service I was using but you can get a pretty good idea how fix it very cost effectively from this thread:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/25704-window-regulator-permanent-fix-stretched-cable-3.html
Old 03-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Beginner

Garage
Thanks! If you can re-post teh pictures I'm sure they would help. I'm not following the description,

" had to drill out the front lower corner bracket a small amount and I had to remove the original factory end from the cable housing. All of this was easily doable while installed in the door. This what the final fix looks like:"

Is the bracket and cable housing on the motor? Any additional description would be helpful, but now I know that there is a fix by taking slack out of the cable, and improving the design in the bargain! Thanks for the information.

Jim

"
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #5

BĂ****i vi?t hay up cho b?n
LĂȘn top nĂ****o
vnzvnnsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
Thanks! If you can re-post teh pictures I'm sure they would help. I'm not following the description,

" had to drill out the front lower corner bracket a small amount and I had to remove the original factory end from the cable housing. All of this was easily doable while installed in the door. This what the final fix looks like:"

Is the bracket and cable housing on the motor? Any additional description would be helpful, but now I know that there is a fix by taking slack out of the cable, and improving the design in the bargain! Thanks for the information.

Jim

"
I took the interior panel off the door and then added a bicycle brake cable adjuster barrel to the corner pulley bracket in the front lower corner of the door. This took up the slack in the cable system and allowed my window to drop again like normal. I don't have a way to post the pictures at this time, but PM me with your email address and I'll send them to you.
Dave S.