Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #1

Porsche 2013 Boxster Tech Video

If you get the PCA emails (which I finally managed to get them to send to me directly, instead of to hubby), you've probably already seen this video. I found it very helpful, but I'm kind of a newb. Some might find it interesting to compare and contrast with their own Boxster.

Deconstructing the New Porsche Boxster: A Rare Look Inside - YouTube

Old 02-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #2

Garage
Wow... you have to remove the ECM and oil fill tube to replace one of the air filters. Who thinks that's a good idea?

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #3

Wtf??!!!!!!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #4

Guess I liked the compressor gizmo in lieu of a spare tire. ... but that filter access makes no sense.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:45 AM   #5

Why do they bother having a pollen fiter on a convertible? Isn't meant to be driven with the roof down 90% of the time?
howe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Wow... you have to remove the ECM and oil fill tube to replace one of the air filters. Who thinks that's a good idea?
I learned a long time ago that the people who design cars don't have to maintain them. Years ago a friend of mine had a MG MGB and I was tuning it up for him. The ignition timing marks were on the bottom of the engine, so while laying on my back, I had to watch those with my timing light while my buddy carefully turned the distributor for the timing adjustment.

What about that Chevy many years ago that had access to one of the spark plugs blocked by the engine mount!

Regards,
paul....
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by howe View Post
Why do they bother having a pollen fiter on a convertible? Isn't meant to be driven with the roof down 90% of the time?
So the dealer can charge $275 to change the oil and three filters! (oil, engine intake, and cabin pollen).
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
So the dealer can charge $275 to change the oil and three filters! (oil, engine intake, and cabin pollen).
Even better, they added another intake filter. It's four filters now.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #9

Did you always have to remove the wheels to change the spark plugs on a Boxster?

Or is that new?
Old 02-22-2013, 05:10 AM   #10
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
I can see that the engineers who designed all this [sarcasm] wonderfully improved features[/sarcasm] must have worked on the Spider top before being moved up to his new position!

As for removing the plugs with the wheels off, if you have a lift this is not something you have to do, if you are working with just jacks it will greatly improve your working environment and ease of access.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by howe View Post
Here in Texas, on the few days of the year we have excellent weather - it completely amazes me how many people drive with their tops up on a convertible on those days.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #12

Doesn't look like a big deal to me, you're only removing some mounting screws, not unplugging the ECU. It will probably take less time than with my 987 since you don't have to mess with putting the top in the service position.

Spark plug access appears to be the same as with 986/987's.

If you want hard, try installing the Distributor on a 7.4L K2500. It's stuffed so far under the firewall you can even see the hardware without a mirror, let alone swing a wrench. I had a bruised sternum from stretching across the engine all day. Why didn't they put it in the front like Ford !?
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #13

I see you have never lived in long needle pine tree country where you come out every day and everything is covered with yellow pollen. For about 2 weeks, you keep everything buttoned up and do no top down driving because the yellow fog is everywhere, kicks up behind you from the road as you drive. You learn to live with it, wash the car down to clean the worst off the windows and then go to the store and be yellow by the time you are back home again.

I haven't had a car in the last dozen years that didn't have some sort of cabin filter, some charcoal and some just paper.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #14

Yeah, but a pre-filter for the cabin filter? That seems a little excessive, especially in a convertible.

I think the engine air filter is better. Two big-ass cones and you don't have to mess around with service mode. Just keep a rag handy for oil drips, and do the air filter first, then then top up the oil to minimize residue in the filler tube.

I like that the oil and water fillers are on opposite sides of the trunk. They made that change specifically for idiots like me! (See my thread on the coolant tank change)

A suggestion I would make is that instead of that sealing foam, carry a plug kit - smaller, easier, and doesn't mess up your tire. The compressor could be handy for beach balls, air mattresses and super-charging the bong.