Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2005, 11:18 AM   #1

Radio code for CDR23?

Hi all.. first post for me

I am curious, I replaced my stereo with a new alpine system so I removed my old CDR23 factory radio.. If I put it back in, where do I find the code for it?? What does the code look like? There's a couple stickers inside my owners manual that look like codes, but they're pretty long.. not sure what i'm looking at. Can I simply call the dealer and get my radio code?

Thanks!
/brian

prOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:20 AM   #2

Read this link:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t254.html

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 11-20-2005 at 11:23 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:01 PM   #3

Thanks

Much appreciated, that thread 'splained it to me!

/brian
Old 11-21-2005, 05:17 AM   #4

Brian,

I was wondering how the replacement went, could you maybe share some details? Did you replace the amp and all of the cabling as well to get around the fiber issue?

Chris.
ukchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:53 PM   #5

Here's what I did.

For me, this install was very very easy.. used a standard METRA VW radio harness interface for the Alpine head unit put in, and from there wired in iPod and Sirius satellite with the AI Net cables.. then, tapped into the factory speaker wires at the factory amp harness under the hood (easily undone).. I know this meant slight modification but it was far easier than trying to rewire the whole car. Being that the battery is right there it was simple to run the RCA cables from the head unit to the amp and the power to the amps which are also Alpine. Everyone I spoke with about this said how hard it was and that you'll have to cut things behind the dash and run wires etc.. I had to do none of that and the only cutting I did was at the amp harness which I can very cleanly undo if necessary.

I suppose i'll show a pic or two and the obligitory car shot I'm looking into new wheels now, probably Moda R6's.

/brian

My classic arcade game collecting site: www.rgvac.com
Old 11-21-2005, 04:00 PM   #6

Forgot to add, the wire for my iPod Nano goes to the little armrest compartment between the seats.. clean and neat place to hide the little gadget and the sirius antenna is stuck to the dash in the right hand corner of the window. I really hate seeing sat antennas stuck to hoods and such
Old 11-23-2005, 04:31 AM   #7

Thanks for the details Brian, very interesting. I haven't looked in to this in any depth as I have been pur off by scaremongering too but I'm now reconsidering based on your post.

If at all possible could you give a rough idea of the costs involved and how much effort it took?

Also any details on what was wired where would be invaluable. My understanding was that from the back of the CDR23 everything significant went down the fiber making that the biggest issue. Did you replace the harness behind the dash and go from there or did you have to run your harness from there to the zmp in the trunk?

Without imposing on you for every single cut and crimp as much detail as you can provide for someone who has done little by way of car audio would be most appreciated.

Thanks again,

Chris.
2003S
Old 11-23-2005, 05:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by prOk
Hi all.. first post for me

I am curious, I replaced my stereo with a new alpine system so I removed my old CDR23 factory radio.. If I put it back in, where do I find the code for it?? What does the code look like? There's a couple stickers inside my owners manual that look like codes, but they're pretty long.. not sure what i'm looking at. Can I simply call the dealer and get my radio code?

Thanks!
/brian
Hi Brian,

I beleive the CDR23 no longer uses security codes. I had contacted my dealer for mine ( as I never saw one noted anywhere ) and the dealer told me they quit using codes in 03.

I asked that he check with his techs and they agreed.

I have yet to have need to confirm this though.
gRed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 05:31 AM   #9

They are right, sort of. There is no code but the CDR23 is tied in to the CAN bus and authenticated using the Porsche computer. So while you don't need to enter a code to get it to work after disconnecting it the unit will not work in any other car without the appropriate programming. Makes life easier with your own head unit while still keeping it secure from theft (in theory at least).
Old 11-23-2005, 02:29 PM   #10

more info

I did nothing in my dash with my harness. The only thing that went from the dash through the firewall was the set of RCA cables to send the signal to the amp and the amp signal wire from the deck. That's it. The Metra adapter did all the connection translation for me. Basically it completely bypasses the factory porsche amp and that MOST stuff. Dash wise it was plug and play and run those 2 things to where the amp is located.. From there, just a matter of pulling the connector off the factory amp and using an ohmmeter to figure out what wires are for each speaker.. Tap those wires, run over to the amp, run the power and grounds and you're done.. Whole job took about 4 hours.

/b
Old 11-23-2005, 02:43 PM   #11

Would it be possible to give me an idea of cost for the head unit and amp (and cables?) or, if at all possible, a low end and high end estimate?

Thanks much, Chris.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:01 AM   #12

Oh, and how did you connect the new Amp in to the old wiring? Any pictures? Was this where you used the new harness? Does it effectively skip the factory amp and hook into the speaker wires or does it feed into the amp somehow?

Chris.