Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #1

Is the Boxster the unloved stepchild?

The other evening I was far away from home in a hotel bar. A guy came in wearing an official Porsche Motorsports shirt.

I was returning from an SCCA racing weekend (not in a Porsche) where there had been a discussion about the fantastic support Porsche provides for people racing it's cars.

Not being shy (and having had a couple of drinks), I walked over to talk to the guy about the way they run their support organization. It turns out he is a fairly big fish in the Porsche Motorsport organization, on his way to a different venue. I told him I was a racer and that I had a Boxster as a road car and his immediate response (and I quote here) was "You have my deepest sympathy".

It didn't bother me really (then or now) but I was puzzled that a management type guy in a major car manufacturers motorsports organization would feel that that was an appropriate response. I sometimes think that Porsche builds the Boxsters as an evil necessity so they can get money enough from the suckers to build "real" sports cars.

Too bad, because the Boxster seems now to be recognized as the best two seater sports car on the planet. I wonder if 30 years down the road people will look back on the Box the same way that they look at some of the air cooled cars today? "Man those were real Porsches!"

Just some rambling thoughts.

dmairspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #2

Mr. "Big Fish" sounds like quite the *sshole. I'd write it off as just that, an asinine statement by a snob. Sounds like he belongs in a BMW .

As an aside, I drive an air cooled 911, a guy down the street picked up a used 997 series 911 last year, apparently I'm unworthy of a return wave when we pass each other. Jerks come in all flavors, don't let them get you down.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
Kiritsugu

Garage
I've never seen it that way, but sometimes it seems that way, especially with how Porsche seems to "suffocate" the Boxster engines with the cats.
If anyone is treated as an unloved stepchild, It's the 944. I think it's okay though. If well maintained.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #4

i don't get it . The automotive press always loved the Boxster since day 1 . it gets better with every revision . so many people knock it . It's a mid engined roadster !

Boxster voted best sports car fifth gear - YouTube
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

The Boxster IS the poor stepchild of Porsche because it always gets the short end of the stick. Where is the 3.4 or 3.6 model? Where is the Turbo model? Where is the GT-3 model? The Boxster is looked down on by people because Porsche looks down on it.

And as long as I'm ranting, Porsche started it all with the cutesy name: boxer engine + roadster = Boxster; Oh how clever! WTF? Right then and there the car was branded not to be taken seriously.

In Porsche-think, if you want a serious entry-level sports car, you buy a Cayman, a car with a rightful sports car name. Do you think for a minute that Porsche ever considered calling it the Coupster? Heck no!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-09-2013 at 11:29 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #6

There is EXTREME Carrera kool aide drinking within Porsche Motorsports. The engine will ALWAYS be in the rear. ZERO deviation from the script. unbelievers aka infidels, can knock themselves out with front and rear engine "commercial downgrades". Case in point: when Patrick Long was a tadpole at Porsche and not yet a fully ordained factory driver he was not allowed a Carrera for personal use. He could only ask for a Boxster.
Yes this logic is completely retarded····roadsters are roadsters·····GTs are GTs····sports coupes are sports coupes.
Only in the kool aide mind is one a substitute for the other. Secondly, it shows the brain washing of young drivers to revere the Carrera as the apex of Porsche.
Meanwhile in the long run as a sprint racer, the Carrera has zero chance of beating mid engine Ferrari. Ditto for the prototypes.
Endurance is all they have as far as racing and the mids steal that show right from under them every summer.

P.S.
The kool aide permeates down to the casual Porsche owner. Generally a tip off for a poser. I once started a poll in a track oriented forum asking if given the choice of engine placement in their next GT3 would they check the box for mid.
Fully 2/3's said yes to a mid engine GT3. I then posted a similar question in the "standard" Carrera variants forum and I was flamed right away and told to go away LoL. 2/3's of those guys responded that they would only buy a rear engine Carrera.
As you can see there is a disconnect between the rabid Porsche track enthusiasts and the mothership.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-08-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #7

Garage
who cares what they think. I have 2 boxsters and a 996 C 4 and unless the weather warrants all wheel drive I generally always walk past the C 4 and drive a boxster. Way more fun to drive on a twisty road where horsepower is not nearly as important as balance. Most people who look down on the boxster really have no experience in them and just have a need to feel special.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:28 AM   #8

Quote:
The Boxster IS the poor stepchild of Porsche because it always gets the short end of the stick. Where is the 3.4 or 3.6 model? Where is the Turbo model? Where is the GT-3 model? The Boxster is looked down on by people because Porsche looks down on it.
My thinking exactly. It was just so strange to hear it so blatantly from a Porsche corporate guy. I wonder what my customers would think if I all but told them the equipment they bought from me was **************** and they were rubes for buying it?

FWIW, I'm old enough that I don't care what anyone thinks about the Box. It's the best two seat drop top sports car I can afford, and it may be the best one period. It's not my ego crutch, it's my daily smile machine.
dmairspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #9

Garage
After I was done telling that "blow-hard" how the boxster was design to emulate Porsche's first real two-seater mid-engine sports car, the 550 Spyder, as opposed to the Volkswagen Beetle-esque 356, I would have placed a "danger choke-hold" on his neck, followed by a judo chop !
Old 01-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #10

it's funny how the "mid engined " Carrera GT is never mentioned buy these 911 fools .
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:04 AM   #11

Being fortunate enough to currently own both a Boxster (2006 987S) and an 911 (1997 993 Turbo) I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about this subject. I could go on for hours. But I won't. Been there, done that. Got the t-shirt.

Regarding what the "big fish" said, it should come as NO SURPRISE to us Boxster owners. But, it doesn't make it right, nor palatable. I also think it speaks volumes about that one person, than it does about any specific group.

Most people who say silly stuff about a Boxster, hasn't ever driven one, or hasn't established much seat-time in one. We (986 Forum members) have been saying for years, if Porsche built a Boxster with 911 power, there'd be a drastic drop in 911 sales. Actually, Porsche did build a Boxster with 911 power, it's called a Carrera GT. And a little out of my value proposition for a weekend toy.

With regard to the new 981 Boxster, in my 8 years as a Porsche enthusiast, I've NEVER seen more positive comments about a Porsche from the "911 contingent" as I have currently. This is great for Boxster owners and all involved.

Lastly, let's not lose sight that Porsche did move the new 991's engine slightly more center-mass. So, maybe my statement above is not so far fetched.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #12

That 'look down your nose' attitude starts at an early age. In 2007 I was attending a Cubs game at Wrigley "Stadium" as Jeff Gordon calls it. I got there early and had my 01 Lapis Blue S parked in a spot just outside. A group of teenagers walked by and one said "ooh, look at the Porsche". One of the other guys says "that's not a real Porsche, it's a Boxster". I let them go on their way but thought about saying "so you wouldn't drive it if I threw you the keys". But I don't have the stones that JD has or his judo chop ability.

With my current inventory, I've got enough invested that I could afford a rather high buck 911. But I don't want one, they're not my cup of tea. Different strokes for different folks. Porsche should understand this and not consider us a necessary evil.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
In 2007 I was attending a Cubs game at Wrigley "Stadium" as Jeff Gordon calls it.
Us locals call it Chicago's largest bar.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #14
recycledsixtie

Garage
You have my deepest sympathy that you have run into a Porsche snob. His opinion is just that - his opinion. Unfortunately there are many people like that but there are many decent human beings out there too. Move on.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #15

Did anybody read the current issue of Excellence on that carbon fibre "Boxster" prototype? It already churns out better lap times than other 911 race cars out there.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #16

^ You last 2 guys (Sixtie and Ekam) both post at 9:11 AM. Traitors.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #17

It is funny I was just lamenting the boxster second class view many have yesterday and both this thread and a shorter similar thread on 6speed were posted same time. It is funny all the 911 Porsche people I know well respect the boxster. A friend at work tho tends to look down on it not so much that it isn't a real Porsche but just that it isn't in the same class as a 911 especially higher end cars like a gt2/3 or turbo, etc... And not a classic like the older 911s. I sort of agree in that the higher end exotics, Ferrari, Lambo, and top of the line porsche is a different cost and category. He was sort of making fun of me for going on a local New Years drive where a bunch of people showed up in 911s, gt3, gt-R, a lambo etc...even tho there were other boxsters there and other older porches like a 914 944 etc...

The thing that gets me the most tho is perhaps power, as a previous poster mentioned, why not a super fast version, (although the new 981S changes that in my mind) and the styling. There is a large part of me that wishes the convertible top of the boxster looked better than it does when up. Since I am finding myself using the drop top less and less and I love the styling of the cayman that will likely be my next car. Even tho they are basically the same cars within reason. The cayman both in name and looks just does more for me, even tho it is still "in the shadow of the 911" for many people. Btw lets remember for name that Jeremey Clarkson did pen the cayman the "Coxster" lol....
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #18
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
^ You last 2 guys (Sixtie and Ekam) both post at 9:11 AM. Traitors.
I am not in the same time zone so I am exonerated. I posted earlier than 9:11. :dance:
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
Being fortunate enough to currently own both a Boxster (2006 987S) and an 911 (1997 993 Turbo)
I owned a 1997 993 cab and sold it and bought a 1997 993 turbo at the same time I had my 2001 986 Boxster S. All great cars. But when it came time to thin the car stable we kept the Boxster. Even while owning the 993s, I enjoyed the drive of the Boxster S more.

There were several others on the Rennlist 993 board that had Boxsters and spoke highly of them. Ones that have never drove one put them down. There will always be the purist that believe if it is not a 911, it is not a real Porsche. Then ones that think if its not air cooled it is not a real Porsche, then others that believe the 911 SC was the last real Porsche .... and so on.

Oh well, they don't know what they are missing.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #20

Garage
This is a tread that will go on and on. We say we don't care but we reply, because we do care. For me and I think for many others, a used Boxster allows many entry into the P-Car experience at a some what reasonable price.
!!! I'm loving the experience - my grin making machine !!!

The 911 style is what many, including me, associate as traditional Porsche. Those of you with both in your stable have the inside view that can give the rest of us a more relevant comparison. We all know, along with the majority of the Driving press, that Porsche can't power up the Boxster because it will hurt 911 sales. That's the car Business. So it's one thing to have a 911 owner snub a Boxster owner, it's another, somewhat more painful for a company man to do it. I hope his boss and above don't have the same disregard