View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
dmairspotter

Is the Boxster the unloved stepchild?

The other evening I was far away from home in a hotel bar. A guy came in wearing an official Porsche Motorsports shirt.

I was returning from an SCCA racing weekend (not in a Porsche) where there had been a discussion about the fantastic support Porsche provides for people racing it's cars.

Not being shy (and having had a couple of drinks), I walked over to talk to the guy about the way they run their support organization. It turns out he is a fairly big fish in the Porsche Motorsport organization, on his way to a different venue. I told him I was a racer and that I had a Boxster as a road car and his immediate response (and I quote here) was "You have my deepest sympathy".

It didn't bother me really (then or now) but I was puzzled that a management type guy in a major car manufacturers motorsports organization would feel that that was an appropriate response. I sometimes think that Porsche builds the Boxsters as an evil necessity so they can get money enough from the suckers to build "real" sports cars.

Too bad, because the Boxster seems now to be recognized as the best two seater sports car on the planet. I wonder if 30 years down the road people will look back on the Box the same way that they look at some of the air cooled cars today? "Man those were real Porsches!"

Just some rambling thoughts.
dmairspotter is offline   Reply With Quote