Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2005, 11:18 AM   #1

Stereo Question

Does anyone know if there is an aux imput adapter available for the 1997 boxster??

I know there are quite a few adapters on the market for various cars that allow you to convert the CD changer connect to a aux imput for an iPod or XM radio. I would love to be able to hook up my iPod without a FM modulator.

Any ideas or links to where I might be able to get such an adapter would be great.

BTW - I was thinking about permanently installing an iPod nano in the center console. I just picked up a non smokers cubby hole kit. I was thinking about using some fiberglass to modify the non smokers cubby hole to accept the iPod Nano. I was envisioning fiberglassing the iPod right into the modified cubby hole. After it was complete I woud obvously hook up the power and run the data cable out between the center tunnel and the carpet so new music could be uploaded with a laptop. Of course once the fiberglass modifications are finished it would be finsihed and painted to offer a very clean look. I figure that if I dont like it or when I go to sell the car I would just put the ash tray back in.

Does anyone have suggestions on what a good source of switched power in that general area might be??

Does any one have any imput on this project? suggestions??? Its ok to tell me its stupid or why you think it is a bad idea...I may not have thought it out completely ...but it sounds good in my head right now. And at 180ish bucks for a Nano I think I am willing to try it.

bigwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:44 AM   #2

Becker in New Jersey has it for $20

I have Sattelite radio bracket that I drilled into the inside wall of the cubby hole below the head unit. When using the nano I remove the Satellite tuner and just place on the Satellite cradle and plug in via the Aux stereo jack.

I really am not a fan of the Ipod design in general even though I have owned three different Ipod models. Its very easy to hit the wrong button and end up out of you songs list and then you have to look down to get where you need to be.
All this happening while you are driving is no good. So putting it in the ashtray is not a good I think. Better to mount it higher to the windshield where you aren't distracted as long. The BMW setup would be ideal-- where you can change songs from the head unit with the Ipod in the glove box.
Alpine sells a headunit that works with the Ipod and you change songs using a glide button on the head unit itself.

my .02 cents
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-09-2005 at 11:51 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:45 AM   #3

Can you please tell me who or what Becker in NJ is?

Do you (or anyone else) have contact info for Becker. A phone or website would be great.

Thanks.
bigwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:29 AM   #4

(888) 423-3537 x 1209
http://www.beckerautosound.com

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote