Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #1

Fingernails required to open frunk

My frunk will not pop open. It requires that I reach under one of the corners by the light to open it enough to disengage the latch and open the frunk. I doubt this is normal as closing it stops at just the point you expect it to pop on opening then requires a firm push to close.

Is there a spring, rubber bumper, or other item that needs adjusting to make the frunk pop open that 1/2 inch or so after pulling the release cable? FWIW, this is on a 1999 Boxster.

PS: I did quite a bit of searching but almost everything I found was about opening the frunk with a dead battery.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #2

Garage
I lubricated the latch and it works like a charm. Try that and see if it helps.
1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #3

Thanks for the idea. I'll try that tomorrow when I check the frunk alignment too. I was perusing my Bentley manual and saw the rubber bumpers and latch can be adjusted. I was just trying to figure out what made the frunk pop up though. Is it just the compression of the rubber bumpers? If so, age may have hardened mine and they may need replacement. I didn't see any compression spring for hood rebound in the manual.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #4

olddude is correct. happened on several other cars as well... lubricate it well.
rene525d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnowles View Post
Thanks for the idea. I'll try that tomorrow when I check the frunk alignment too. I was perusing my Bentley manual and saw the rubber bumpers and latch can be adjusted. I was just trying to figure out what made the frunk pop up though. Is it just the compression of the rubber bumpers? If so, age may have hardened mine and they may need replacement. I didn't see any compression spring for hood rebound in the manual.
Where are these rubber bumpers?
I think I am missing them.

Thanks
mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:57 AM   #6

Yep, lube will do the trick. I carried around a small pry bar and a towel for the first few weeks I owned the car since every 3-4th time I closed the frunk, it wouldn't open without assistance.
MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehkang View Post
Where are these rubber bumpers?
I think I am missing them.

Thanks
We have 2 round-ish, black, rubber bumpers, on each corner end on the underside of the hood/lid. They can be rotated clockwise and counter-clockwise to align the hood properly, to the level of the front bumper's edge. Same goes for the rear trunk lid.

I've seen spanking brand new 991/981's at the dealership with poor alignment on these hoods/lids.

Last edited by Flavor 987S; 01-07-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote