986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Fingernails required to open frunk (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/41996-fingernails-required-open-frunk.html)

AKnowles 01-06-2013 07:24 PM

Fingernails required to open frunk

My frunk will not pop open. It requires that I reach under one of the corners by the light to open it enough to disengage the latch and open the frunk. I doubt this is normal as closing it stops at just the point you expect it to pop on opening then requires a firm push to close.

Is there a spring, rubber bumper, or other item that needs adjusting to make the frunk pop open that 1/2 inch or so after pulling the release cable? FWIW, this is on a 1999 Boxster.

PS: I did quite a bit of searching but almost everything I found was about opening the frunk with a dead battery.

1olddude 01-06-2013 08:39 PM

I lubricated the latch and it works like a charm. Try that and see if it helps.

AKnowles 01-06-2013 08:43 PM

Thanks for the idea. I'll try that tomorrow when I check the frunk alignment too. I was perusing my Bentley manual and saw the rubber bumpers and latch can be adjusted. I was just trying to figure out what made the frunk pop up though. Is it just the compression of the rubber bumpers? If so, age may have hardened mine and they may need replacement. I didn't see any compression spring for hood rebound in the manual.

rene525d 01-06-2013 10:44 PM

olddude is correct. happened on several other cars as well... lubricate it well.

mikehkang 01-07-2013 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKnowles (Post 322273)
Thanks for the idea. I'll try that tomorrow when I check the frunk alignment too. I was perusing my Bentley manual and saw the rubber bumpers and latch can be adjusted. I was just trying to figure out what made the frunk pop up though. Is it just the compression of the rubber bumpers? If so, age may have hardened mine and they may need replacement. I didn't see any compression spring for hood rebound in the manual.

Where are these rubber bumpers?
I think I am missing them.

Thanks

MConte05 01-07-2013 04:57 AM

Yep, lube will do the trick. I carried around a small pry bar and a towel for the first few weeks I owned the car since every 3-4th time I closed the frunk, it wouldn't open without assistance. :)

Flavor 987S 01-07-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikehkang (Post 322330)
Where are these rubber bumpers?
I think I am missing them.

Thanks

We have 2 round-ish, black, rubber bumpers, on each corner end on the underside of the hood/lid. They can be rotated clockwise and counter-clockwise to align the hood properly, to the level of the front bumper's edge. Same goes for the rear trunk lid.

I've seen spanking brand new 991/981's at the dealership with poor alignment on these hoods/lids.