Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2005, 08:48 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
What is the best swirl/scratch remover you know of?

What product have you guys have the best expierence with removing swirls that did not require a porter cable? What is the best car soap product that you have used?

Old 11-06-2005, 09:02 AM   #2
bmussatti

Hey blinkwatt, I think you'll get a lot of great results on your car, since it is not too dark, not too light. Dark colors really show the swirl marks the most.

You should do some reading on the autopia.org web site. They have great info on your question.

I have used the new Mequires NTX wax a lot this summer on my wife's white Mercedes and my white Explorer. Great results, easy to use, and covered some very mild swirls. But, remember, these are white, and don't show the swirls as much as a darker colors would.

You might need a really good...professional job done...with a Porter Cable tool, just to get your car "up-to-snuff". Then you might have great success, doing it yourself, by-hand. Several forum members have the PC and they say it is easy to learn. Maybe you should get one, and practice on your folks car, before you hit the Boxster's paint.

As for soaps, I think any of them formulated for a fine car finish work very well. The key is to make the right concentration. Another helpful hint is the 2-bucket approach. Just don't use stuff like dishwashing soap.

Go read the stuff on autopia.org. Good advice there!
Old 11-06-2005, 10:18 AM   #3

3M rubbing compound. But get ready to break a sweat. The 3m Fine cut as a follow up will do the job well. And Klasse All In One to finish. But a solid claying will make the manual removing of wax is easier and eliminate streaking from pollutants and oxidation getting between the wax and the paint.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 02:58 PM   #4

A second for the 3M product. The one I used is their "finish restorer". It may be more mild than some of their other formulations but still gets it done when using by hand. Just have to apply/buff a few more times, but this also means you're not running the risk of overdoing it.

Now that I've got the PC, there are fewer times I'm doing the work by hand - but when I do (small touch-ups, tight areas) the 3M stuff is what I turn to.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:37 PM   #5

I don't think there is a manual process that will eliminate swirl marks, in my experience.

not sure why you asking for a product that does not require a PC, but I would find a way to get one. with a PC, there quite a few products that do a fabulous job, and you can mix and match different removers with different types of pads to get just the look you want.

As for car shampoo, I use Pinnacle's body shampoo. Great stuff. It feels really really slick when washing which is a good thing!
2002 Toyota Tundra 4x4-daily driver
S_PILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:28 PM   #6

p.s.
just a thought. ways to prevent swirling is to:

1-IMHO avoid using split end microfiber on your paint, stick with looped ends.
2-refrain from "over detailing" your car's paint.
3-don't wash the car without first rinsing it, I always lubricate the surface someho before cleaning.
4-don't use a wash sponge or mit more than a couple of times or make sure you have washed it several times before using it a second time.
5- Don't apply or remove waxes and polishes in circles
6- avoid drying the car with terry cloth (I like the absorber)
7- Clay often, waxing or polishing a surface with sediments still on the paint surface is just the worst thing you can do.
8- Use a dedicated buffing towel for final buffing and quick detailing.
9- The less you touch the paint the less it will swirl.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote