Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 12:59 AM   #1

Brockway Engineering R1000 OBDII

Anyone got one of these? looks more interesting than my CD holder

http://www.vividracing.co.uk/brockway_engineering_r1000_obdii_multi_gauge_porsc he_996_99_04_1013484260.php

Nimbus117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:21 AM   #2

that thing looks cool
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:19 AM   #3

Found something even better, I have a Pioneer 940BT head unit fitted so I can use the Dashcommand app:

AppRadio- The Revolution Continues - YouTube

Just ordered a wifi OBD cable - getting impatient to try it out, grrrrrr!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #4

That new pioneer system looks very cool and high tech and the R1000 OBDII looks like it is nearly stock and blends into the console well... Might have to get both
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #5

It looks like a fancied up ScanGuageII with a custom faceplate.

I have one of those in my Boxster, velcroed to the top of the steering column with Speed, Water Temp, Intake Temp, and a few other data bits that you can get from the OBDII. As well as can track average MPG, instant MPG, top speed, top RPM, etc. I got it for $160 years ago for an older Subaru I had, and it's just jumped between cars I've owned that are OBDII compatible. Great product. Also will display and clear CEL's.
MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus117 View Post
Anyone got one of these? looks more interesting than my CD holder

Brockway Engineering R1000 OBDII Multi Gauge Porsche 996 99-04
I have one....it supports two external sensors as well where as the pioneer may not.

They have changed the look...looks very OEM! It's a custom order now as the cost of making the 996 face plate went up.

I think it should be in every 986 so you can see your oil pressure; you can have it flash at you if things go wrong
Old 12-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus117 View Post
Found something even better, I have a Pioneer 940BT head unit fitted so I can use the Dashcommand app:

AppRadio- The Revolution Continues - YouTube

Just ordered a wifi OBD cable - getting impatient to try it out, grrrrrr!
Which obd cable did you order? I was just looking into Dashcommand and looks interesting and want to try them.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #8

The Kiwi is a respected product with an iphone:

Kiwi Wifi

There are loads of copies on ebay which work just as well and much cheaper. I like this as you can unplug it and use it on any car. I have a Civic Type R which I use in winter which also has a Pioneer 940BT fitted so this is going to work well for me.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #9

I just ordered one. Now I can't wait to try it.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
02 box s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
I have one....it supports two external sensors as well where as the pioneer may not.

They have changed the look...looks very OEM! It's a custom order now as the cost of making the 996 face plate went up.

I think it should be in every 986 so you can see your oil pressure; you can have it flash at you if things go wrong
Finally, found someone with a brockway product. I was recently looking at getting the dgauge bc of the external sensors plus the ability to display the ambient temp.

Initially I figured it would cost about the same as the obc hack but without the headaches. It also looked almost factory. Unfortunately they aren't producing the dgauge anymore. There are some left over at vivid racing, but its 515.00 for the gauge and brockway wants 300.00 for the faceplate. It's hard to justify.

I hate that the r100 doesn't have ambient temp as that's all I want. However I could be convinced if its able fit where the 2002 drink holders are. I would like to keep my cubbies but never use the drink holders.

Jakay can you post a pick of it installed?
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt brad View Post
Finally, found someone with a brockway product. I was recently looking at getting the dgauge bc of the external sensors plus the ability to display the ambient temp.

Initially I figured it would cost about the same as the obc hack but without the headaches. It also looked almost factory. Unfortunately they aren't producing the dgauge anymore. There are some left over at vivid racing, but its 515.00 for the gauge and brockway wants 300.00 for the faceplate. It's hard to justify.

I hate that the r100 doesn't have ambient temp as that's all I want. However I could be convinced if its able fit where the 2002 drink holders are. I would like to keep my cubbies but never use the drink holders.

Jakay can you post a pick of it installed?
I would be happy to in spring! The dark mistress is in hibernation (no battery to open the doors

The brockway engineering site should still have an illustration of it in a 9x6 console. The colour/texture match of the plastic is bang on. You can still get the piece as a special order
Old 12-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #12

I've got one in my car with the shift light option...other than the engine swap, it gets the most questions at car meets.

I just sent it in to Brockway for a firmware upgrade to add the 60-130 timer, and asked them to add more spacers to the faceplate so it would sit flush in the console. They didn't have a 986/996 cluster available when they made this, so it's not perfect. Unfortunately, they don't know what the optimal backspacing is, so they couldn't do it for me. They recommended a DIN radio install surround to bring it out flush.

Jaykay, did you find a better solution?

Here's a pic from the install:

Last edited by tightbox; 12-08-2012 at 07:32 PM.
tightbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
02 box s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
I would be happy to in spring! The dark mistress is in hibernation (no battery to open the doors

The brockway engineering site should still have an illustration of it in a 9x6 console. The colour/texture match of the plastic is bang on. You can still get the piece as a special order
Meh no rush. Please just keep me in mind and post or send a pic come springtime. Thanks.

sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote