Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2005, 05:42 AM   #1

GREAT Perspective from 'The Other Guy'

found this post enjoyable to read; thought i'd share it:

I got back on the twisty, treacherous road (no guard rails, that I can remember!), and got stuck behind a pickup truck, well, truckin' along at a tired pace. Fine, whatever - I can't really get too crazy with the car yet (saving that for post-1250 miles), so I can kick back and take stock of the scenery.

Until the silver Porsche Boxster races up behind me. This guy was in a hurry. Not the mean-spirited "I'm late for my tee-time" sort of hurriedness, but a "come on, I wanna have some fun here!" impatience. And the truck continued on its pace. After a couple of miles he got the point, and he pulled out. I then kicked it into gear. I didn't want to have to sacrifice my passing-spot to the Porsche just yet, and I didn't want to be too much of a bother, so I "opened the MINI up", just a little.

I wanted to pull over. Really, I did! But there was no place to go but down here, and the Boxster was just pushing me and pushing me. I think I did a pretty respectable job in front of the Porsche, and quickly spread some dirt on the first turnout available.

The Porsche was G-O-N-E. I would've eaten his dust, but it had already settled by the time I got back on the road (think seconds, here). I talked myself into better spirits, though, self-righteously thinking that at least I would make it off this mountain alive... take that, damned Porsche!

Many miles later I came in contact with the Boxster again. No, I wasn't driving that fast - he was now traveling in the opposite direction. I was a little pleasantly surprised when he gave me a wave of good will as he passed. I like to think that he was giving me props for my spirited motoring (even if it was only momentarily). 'Twas a proud moment for me... I never received such friendliness in my beater '83 Honda.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:59 AM   #2

Link to an original thread? Good story... nice to see that other cars can play nice with the Boxster and not get upset if they get beaten. I wouldn't mind a Mini... fun lil cars.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:20 PM   #3

Thats a good one. I drove a standard mini today... auto trans. It reminded me a lot of my 87 VW Jetta that was fitted with coil over springs and struts, lowered and re bushed with urethane. Super tight go cart steering. It was a nice little car. I even didnt mind the auto trans.

Not a bad car... unfortunately for the price of a new one, you could get a decent older Box.

Have fun,
Joe
01S
Triple Black

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote