986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   GREAT Perspective from 'The Other Guy' (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4148-great-perspective-other-guy.html)

insite 11-03-2005 05:42 AM

GREAT Perspective from 'The Other Guy'

found this post enjoyable to read; thought i'd share it:

I got back on the twisty, treacherous road (no guard rails, that I can remember!), and got stuck behind a pickup truck, well, truckin' along at a tired pace. Fine, whatever - I can't really get too crazy with the car yet (saving that for post-1250 miles), so I can kick back and take stock of the scenery.

Until the silver Porsche Boxster races up behind me. This guy was in a hurry. Not the mean-spirited "I'm late for my tee-time" sort of hurriedness, but a "come on, I wanna have some fun here!" impatience. And the truck continued on its pace. After a couple of miles he got the point, and he pulled out. I then kicked it into gear. I didn't want to have to sacrifice my passing-spot to the Porsche just yet, and I didn't want to be too much of a bother, so I "opened the MINI up", just a little.

I wanted to pull over. Really, I did! But there was no place to go but down here, and the Boxster was just pushing me and pushing me. I think I did a pretty respectable job in front of the Porsche, and quickly spread some dirt on the first turnout available.

The Porsche was G-O-N-E. I would've eaten his dust, but it had already settled by the time I got back on the road (think seconds, here). I talked myself into better spirits, though, self-righteously thinking that at least I would make it off this mountain alive... take that, damned Porsche!

Many miles later I came in contact with the Boxster again. No, I wasn't driving that fast - he was now traveling in the opposite direction. I was a little pleasantly surprised when he gave me a wave of good will as he passed. I like to think that he was giving me props for my spirited motoring (even if it was only momentarily). 'Twas a proud moment for me... I never received such friendliness in my beater '83 Honda.

Porschekid 11-03-2005 11:59 AM

Link to an original thread? Good story... nice to see that other cars can play nice with the Boxster and not get upset if they get beaten. I wouldn't mind a Mini... fun lil cars. :cheers:

AUDIOGUY 11-03-2005 05:20 PM

Thats a good one. I drove a standard mini today... auto trans. It reminded me a lot of my 87 VW Jetta that was fitted with coil over springs and struts, lowered and re bushed with urethane. Super tight go cart steering. It was a nice little car. I even didnt mind the auto trans.

Not a bad car... unfortunately for the price of a new one, you could get a decent older Box.

Have fun,
Joe
01S
Triple Black