Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2005, 04:04 PM   #1

Any known defects with 2005 987 Boxsters?

Does anyone know whether there were any problems with the first year (2005) edition of the 987 Boxster? I'm finally able to fulfill a childhood dream, and am looking at a 2005 Boxster. Any advice or insight will be appreciated.

d_le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:19 PM   #2

Hold out a little longer for a Cayman (not that there's anything wrong with the Boxster... but that Cayman is HOT!)
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 07:18 PM   #3

I've heard of one transmission replacement thus far and I think it was reported on here. I could be mistaken, but I also think I heard of one engine replacement reported on PPBB, but I'm not sure of the cause. Most of the things have been small stuff that can be easily fixed by owner or dealer: whistling side mirrors, problems with power windows, loose heat shield, poor radio reception (no fix heard of for this one yet), and rattling wind stop. There was one reported case of RMS on the yellow test car that most of the mags used, but people were saying that this car was abused. Still, RMS is always a concern with the 987 because Porsche has never addressed the issue publicly or announced a permanent fix. There have been rumors that a fix is in the works or on its way to dealers.

I've had the mirrors, the heat shield (although it goes away when the engine is warm, probably due to expansion) and occasional poor radio reception. Today, at about 2200 miles, I noticed some kind of weird noise from the rear at about 3000 rpm. I was talking to someone in the car and didn't really get a chance to check it out. I'll have to do so this week and at some point soon, I'll have to go to the dealer with this list.

You also might want to do some searches on PPBB to see what's been reported there.

In my case, none of the items above has taken away from the pure enjoyment of this car. And as for my two cents on the Cayman, it sounds like a great car but it doesn't even have a sunroof. I'm a big guy and I'd feel claustrophobic in it (as I have when I've sat in an Audi TT coupe). Why not pay less money and get great handling, plenty of power and the open air that only a Boxster can offer?
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:20 AM   #4

Defects in the 2005 987?
when you put the key in the ignition and drive off the lot a red light comes on the dashboard that says DEPRECIATION.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #5

It's not clear whether d_le is looking at a new one or used one. If it's new, he's got the right idea. He eliminates a lot of the depreciation by purchasing a leftover and he gets a new car with the assurance that it hasn't been abused (assuming it comes with the expected as-new mileage). When I ordered mine in March 2005, I though the car would be in such demand that there wouldn't be any suitable models on the lot by July or August. It turns out there were plenty and I could have knocked a few thousand dollars off my purchase price, with the possibility of gaining additional options at the same time.

I've also bought certified cars to knock off depreciation, but never a sports car. I know a lot of people here have bought used Boxsters and have enjoyed them withour problems. Still, I think you automatically have to assume a used sports car has been driven aggressively -- or worse. True, you avoid depreciation, but you're also involved in a crapshoot as to whether the car is mechanically sound and whether a PPI is thorough enough to pick up any serious problems.

I'm keeping the 987S for at least 10 years, so depreciation isn't a worry. I bought my 968 new in 1995 and depreciation averaged about $2400 a year over the decade that I owned it. You get some of the depreciation back at the end by being the original owner, keeping the car in good shape and producing all the service records.
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:55 PM   #6

I had the tranny problem but it wouldn't scare me off of a purchase, that's for sure.

The only reason to buy New right now is if you absolutely, positively have a set of options that you can't budge on. There's a lot of 2005 Boxsters coming on on the market as used right now and they're all pretty low mileage.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander1
It's not clear whether d_le is looking at a new one or used one. If it's new, he's got the right idea. He eliminates a lot of the depreciation by purchasing a leftover and he gets a new car with the assurance that it hasn't been abused (assuming it comes with the expected as-new mileage). When I ordered mine in March 2005, I though the car would be in such demand that there wouldn't be any suitable models on the lot by July or August. It turns out there were plenty and I could have knocked a few thousand dollars off my purchase price, with the possibility of gaining additional options at the same time.

I've also bought certified cars to knock off depreciation, but never a sports car. I know a lot of people here have bought used Boxsters and have enjoyed them withour problems. Still, I think you automatically have to assume a used sports car has been driven aggressively -- or worse. True, you avoid depreciation, but you're also involved in a crapshoot as to whether the car is mechanically sound and whether a PPI is thorough enough to pick up any serious problems.

I'm keeping the 987S for at least 10 years, so depreciation isn't a worry. I bought my 968 new in 1995 and depreciation averaged about $2400 a year over the decade that I owned it. You get some of the depreciation back at the end by being the original owner, keeping the car in good shape and producing all the service records.
Hi,

In general, for the average Buyer, I would agree with you on the pitfalls of buying Used. But, if you do your homework, have some passing knowledge of Cars and Mechanics in general, and can keep Objectivity at the forefront, then you can get some very good Used Cars.

I have owned 39 Cars in my lifetime, I own 5 right now (+ my FV Racer) and only 5 of these Cars were purchased new. I have never had a significant Failure in any of them, except in one of the new ones - go figure.

I have a bit of a reputation for buying excellent used Cars. So much so, that I have been enlisted to find Cars for Family, Friends, even two past Bosses. They usually say "I don't know how you do it". What they don't realize are the literally dozens of Cars I pass on. Even on the Blind Squirrel theory, if you keep doing this, the right Car eventually turns up.

Too many people get emotional about a Car they see. This emotion often leads them to lose Objectivity and perhaps even overlook some flaws. They don't realize that the Manufacturers grind these things out like Link Sausages. That you don't have to take the first thing which comes along, or even the 27th.
You may have to wait a little longer to find the Car, but eventually you find what you want. You also get better at spotting the issues as you go along. It all goes back to the old addage that you get out of it what you put into it. Really work and expend effort to find the right Car and you'll be rewarded in the end...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:17 PM   #8

I have not heard of any endemic problems with the 987. That said, there is a lot of talk about the rear main seal on all Boxsters.

If it is any help, I can tell you I got my 987-S in late July and have driven it 3000 care free miles. I'll put it away for the winter in about 3 weeks and take it out in late April of next year. I look forward to driving it as often as I can. Saturday I took it up through the Kancamagus, over Bear Notch Rd into Bartlett and then to No. Conway before coming home to Manchvegas. While stopped at Attitash, I met a couple driving an 03 Carrera. It was a perfect top down day with mountain twisties galore. What a blast!

Nothing is going to break; if it does, that's what a warranty is for. That's how I see it from my knothole.

Now, go fufill a dream.
Biz-z Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:07 PM   #9

Oh, there IS this one little issue that's been cropping up, but it's not serious:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=128745&an=0&page=0#128745

I think I'm having that resonance problem too, but I have hardly had a chance to notice it.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
Oh, there IS this one little issue that's been cropping up, but it's not serious:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=128745&an=0&page=0#128745

I think I'm having that resonance problem too, but I have hardly had a chance to notice it.

There is another issue getting some interest on the UK Boxa.net boards. Seems to be some additional clatter heard at about 3k when cold. Gets quiet or goes away when warm.

Seems several UK dealers are now fixing bad valves as the solution.
gRed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:48 AM   #11

I've wondered when to sell my MY97 and buy a 987S... I think I will wait about five years now and buy an 06 or an 07, and possibly buy a pre-owned Cayman S if they don't put a larger engine (or make the 3.2 yeild more horsepower and torque as they seem to be doing) in the 987S in the next couple of years.

I had fully intended to by an 05 987S in three years, but "buzzing parts" complaints, along with the RMS issues and the transmission replacement I heard about here have scared me off.

You know, I'm really wishy washy today due to all the 987 discussions. I love the new styling and interior, but part of me says, "respray your 97, have a trim shop redo the interior in leather, bolt a 3.4 liter into it and keep it for 20 years knowing you've got one amazingly fast and beautiful car."

Setting aside the fact that I'll never get my investment out of a hopped up 97 Boxster, I must say that it's quite tempting if I plan to keep a Porsche in the garage for the rest of my life.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 07:59 AM   #12

6 months with a new 987s, no problems at all...not even one squeek or rattle...its the most solid convertible i have ever owned or driven...it the body feels stiffer than a 996 conv and as stiff as a 997 cab and way stiffer than a 986...the car feels very different than a 986, and if you have funds i would recommend it for a fun, well made convertible
scycle2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I had fully intended to by an 05 987S in three years, but "buzzing parts" complaints, along with the RMS issues and the transmission replacement I heard about here have scared me off.
Aw c'mon, you know it's premature to even think about it. Three years down the road you'll actually have real data that you can judge your purchase on and something tells me that Randall just might not be able to hold himself back.

As for squeaks and rattles, my 987S has a few in the cabin and has had a few fixed. 9000 miles almost. scycle2020, you've only had yours for 1600 miles or so, right? Back then yeah, I had no squeaks or rattles either.