View Single Post
Old 11-06-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
longislander1

I've heard of one transmission replacement thus far and I think it was reported on here. I could be mistaken, but I also think I heard of one engine replacement reported on PPBB, but I'm not sure of the cause. Most of the things have been small stuff that can be easily fixed by owner or dealer: whistling side mirrors, problems with power windows, loose heat shield, poor radio reception (no fix heard of for this one yet), and rattling wind stop. There was one reported case of RMS on the yellow test car that most of the mags used, but people were saying that this car was abused. Still, RMS is always a concern with the 987 because Porsche has never addressed the issue publicly or announced a permanent fix. There have been rumors that a fix is in the works or on its way to dealers.

I've had the mirrors, the heat shield (although it goes away when the engine is warm, probably due to expansion) and occasional poor radio reception. Today, at about 2200 miles, I noticed some kind of weird noise from the rear at about 3000 rpm. I was talking to someone in the car and didn't really get a chance to check it out. I'll have to do so this week and at some point soon, I'll have to go to the dealer with this list.

You also might want to do some searches on PPBB to see what's been reported there.

In my case, none of the items above has taken away from the pure enjoyment of this car. And as for my two cents on the Cayman, it sounds like a great car but it doesn't even have a sunroof. I'm a big guy and I'd feel claustrophobic in it (as I have when I've sat in an Audi TT coupe). Why not pay less money and get great handling, plenty of power and the open air that only a Boxster can offer?
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote