View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #5
longislander1

It's not clear whether d_le is looking at a new one or used one. If it's new, he's got the right idea. He eliminates a lot of the depreciation by purchasing a leftover and he gets a new car with the assurance that it hasn't been abused (assuming it comes with the expected as-new mileage). When I ordered mine in March 2005, I though the car would be in such demand that there wouldn't be any suitable models on the lot by July or August. It turns out there were plenty and I could have knocked a few thousand dollars off my purchase price, with the possibility of gaining additional options at the same time.

I've also bought certified cars to knock off depreciation, but never a sports car. I know a lot of people here have bought used Boxsters and have enjoyed them withour problems. Still, I think you automatically have to assume a used sports car has been driven aggressively -- or worse. True, you avoid depreciation, but you're also involved in a crapshoot as to whether the car is mechanically sound and whether a PPI is thorough enough to pick up any serious problems.

I'm keeping the 987S for at least 10 years, so depreciation isn't a worry. I bought my 968 new in 1995 and depreciation averaged about $2400 a year over the decade that I owned it. You get some of the depreciation back at the end by being the original owner, keeping the car in good shape and producing all the service records.
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote