Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #1

Headlight Tray Removal Question

I've looked through the shop manual and several forums and have not found an answer to my question.

I have an '01S with litronics. I seem to have a loose connection with between the light socket fixed in the headlight tray tower at the back and the plug on the headlight assembly itself. I suspect need to replace the yellow clip that holds the socket in place.

To do so, I'd like to remove the headlight tray. I've loosened the three nuts on the tray and lifted it off its base. As I pull the tray forward, I see that I need to remove at least one connection at the back of the tray. It's a black tube that attaches to the back of the tower on the driver's side. It is a different tube than the white looking breather tube that also attaches at the back.

Can anyone tell me how to disconnect this black tube. It looks like it is attached through clips or threads. I cannot tell. I've played with it some, but don't want to put more pressure on it and break the tray. The trays cost a fortune.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #2

Problem solved...

I took off the driver side fender liner to get a better look at the black tube that attaches to the tower that holds the electrical socket. It is part of the headlight washer system. It clips into the tower about 1/2" to 1" below the top.

To remove it from the tower, simply exert gentle pressure on the tube near the top of the tower toward the center of the car. The tube will slip out of its "U" shaped holder.

If you want a better look before unclipping it, remove the 3 large nuts holding the tray to the fender as well as the nut holding the washer unit to the tray. Slide the tray up over the bolts and forward an inch or two and you have a better chance of seeing how the tube is clipped to the tower.

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote