Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2005, 04:26 PM   #1

So whats the story? Are Boxster seats prewired for Heaters or not?

Hi Guys,

I have heard from a gentileman at my local dealer that Boxsters and Boxster S
are pre-wired for heated seats. He described that the seats have the heating elements and wiring from the factory already. If this is true, what do I need to
do to add seat heaters short of buying an A/M kit.

Thanks,
Joe
01 S
Triple Black

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 04:29 PM   #2

Dig through some of the old posts, there was a good one from ToolPants debunking this myth.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:42 PM   #3

Hi,

Actually, there were some cars which came pre-wired for Electric Seats, but they were few and far between and probably the result of either a mix-up at the Assembly Plant or, running short of a Seat in a particular color, say for a Build Order, they swapped the Seats for the Electric ones as a matter of expediency, but they didn't add the switches or wire them into the Harness which requires an extention Harness, so they were non-functional and most Owners never even knew they were there. But generally, as QP states, don't count on it. These few were early cars and the phenomenon hasn't been seen since.

There are some great AF Seat Heaters which are actually less expensive, yet superior to the OEM Option. I'm referring to those using a CF Matrix as opposed to the standard Heating Coil like the OEM uses. Check them out at: http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/seatheatac.html . I'm going to go with these, but will get the OEM Switches for a Stock appearance.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 10-06-2005 at 07:39 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:30 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Do these pads have to be put within the seats? Im not too sure how these heat pads work but am very interested.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Do these pads have to be put within the seats? Im not too sure how these heat pads work but am very interested.
Hi,

Yes, they are installed just under the Vinyl, Leather Upholstery. There is some disassembly, but it is not too difficult to install them at all. You might have to cut them for length, but this isn't a problem. You could either route the power supply separately to the FuseBox, or with the addition of some Motec connectors (avail. through VW Dealer for $3) tap directly into the Wiring Harness where the OEM Optional Heated Seats would normally go (which is what I will do), then add the fuse for the device into the appropriate Fuse Slot. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
Old 10-07-2005, 12:42 AM   #6

Hey Jim would you mind responding on the forum once you've started this project and list all parts and part #'s, I'm really interested in trying this project but would like to know the approx. cost. I too am interested in keeping the factory appearance if I were to proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:50 AM   #7

@nautiquelfe

Hi,

I'll be happy to photo-document the install, but it won't happen this year. Mrs. MNBoxster and I are going to be travelling this winter - have trips planned to: Paris, Rome, Lausanne (where I grew up), Monte Carlo, Tokyo, Montreal, and Mexico, so all of our discretionary jing is going into this Kitty.

Instead of installing Electric Seats, I'll be tipping some Snooty French Waiter with the money instead!

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
Old 10-07-2005, 01:08 PM   #8

It sounds like a fun trip indeed. The only problem I see w/ that much traveling is the fact that you'll be outta your boxster for such a long while. I have several projects on my "to-do" list before this one. I'm in no hurry to get started. If I begin before you get a chance, I'll likely need to send you a private msg. to help w/ sourcing parts. For some reason I don't do well w/ keeping track of details and end up spending hours back tracking through archives to find the info.