Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #1

anyone experienced with miata/boxster exchange?

I currently have a 2006 miata,touring model,stock, 19k miles. I am looking at a 07 boxster,4300 miles,at a porsche dealer with about 1 1/2 yr certification left for $32k.
if you have gone from a miata to a boxster or vice versa I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of crossing that divide.thanks.

kriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
recycledsixtie

Garage
Hi Kriss,
A year and a half ago I sold my 99 Miata which had 50k miles on it and bought a 2001 Boxster base with about 40k miles. I sometimes miss my Miata but the Box is so much more car it is like comparing apples to oranges. I have heated seats and good air cond. and the Miata had neither.

The Box has great handling and steering and a great manual transmission. I have no regrets making the switch.

What strikes me most is that more outlay is needed for maintenance. I plan to spend $2-3k on maintenance a year. The ims is a factor in the Box and u should read up on that. This forum has a section for prospective Boxster owners.

I could have bought my Box earlier but wanted to be able to afford it. If u do your own maintenance you can save big $$$$.

Boxsters advantages:
More power
Great steering
Superb handling
Great engine sound
Solid body

Disadvs.
Pathetic cupholders
Higher maintenance costs

Miata advs.
Cheap to run
Better gas mileage

Miata disadvs.
Feels like a small car.
Got no respect.
No rollbar unless u installed one.

PPI you should get. Consider IMS guardian install.I would try and find out why the previous owner did so little driving and why he is selling. Buying from a dealership you may not find that out. I bought it from a private seller and I got maintenance info. and lots of info. My wife adds that the Miata was on life support during the winter because the battery had to be charged all the time(it was in the trunk)and the block heater had to be plugged in frequently. I have not had to do either with the Box.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #3

i would think that maintenance costs would be the biggest difference . you will probably never want to drive a miata again either.
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Porscheectomy

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/22058-miata-boxster-experience.html
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #5

I've owned both, but about 15 years apart, so this is off my fading memory. '90 Miata purchased in '94. Very fun car, handled great, not fast (but neither is my '03 base), great exhaust note, and very slick transmission (easy clutch and easy to shift, not so in my Boxster). Downside - girls car, but I've heard that about our Boxsters too (real men drive 911s'?).

Main Boxster plus - it's a Porsche. Miatas, 350/370Zs, S2000s, Z4s - all fine cars, but they are not Porsches. Don't see too many Porsches in the Seattle area. Yeah I know, it's just a shallow ego thing for me.

And I've heard the 2-3k a year in maintenance, but don't let that scare you. I've had mine for a couple of years now and besides tires, I've just done oil changes (about $75 for parts) and changed my motor mount, about $125 for parts and one long frustrating day of labor. If you do your own work, I would think $500 a year would be good and if you take it to an indy, maybe budget $1000/year? Yeah, a clutch or a major service is going to set you back a couple of thou, but you're not doing that every year. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforrest2 View Post
Don't see too many Porsches in the Seattle area. Yeah I know, it's just a shallow ego thing for me.
Not sure where you are but over in the Bellevue area, they're very common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforrest2 View Post
And I've heard the 2-3k a year in maintenance, but don't let that scare you. I've had mine for a couple of years now and besides tires, I've just done oil changes (about $75 for parts) and changed my motor mount, about $125 for parts and one long frustrating day of labor. If you do your own work, I would think $500 a year would be good and if you take it to an indy, maybe budget $1000/year? Yeah, a clutch or a major service is going to set you back a couple of thou, but you're not doing that every year. Just my 2 cents.
The idea is that you should expect an average of $1000-2000 a year, some years are less, some more, but the AOS, IMS, RMS, brakes, clutch, cv joints, tires, fluid changes, spark plugs, various oil leaks, wheel bearings, suspension parts, engine mounts, water pumps, rear window replacement, and other regular and irregular maintanence items add up over time. Over the 7 years that I had my car, those costs were about right.

Last edited by blue2000s; 11-23-2012 at 08:41 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Why choose? Keep them both. I still own both cars.

I have a 2003 Miata and 1999 Boxster and have driven them both on the street and on the track. Here are my thoughts:

Miata:
Pros:
Super fun to drive. Effortless. Light clutch and silky smooth short-throw gearbox.
Easy to feel like a pro and get the most out of the car
Well balanced and precise handling
Very cheap to maintain and repair
Suspension/engine upgrades very cheap
Very reliable

Cons:
Low on power
Stock suspension has lots of body roll
Small interior
Flexy chassis/body
Definitely not a $50,000 car
People say its a chick car

Boxster:
Pros:
Flat-6 engine nirvana
Even more fun to drive if you're willing to make a bit of an effort (clutch is heavy, gearbox a bit clunky)
Much more power (and even more still in S model)
Perfectly balanced handling but takes more driving skill to get the most out of the car
Roomy interior
Nicer materials/build quality

Cons:
Expensive to repair and upgrade
Not as reliable
Engine can't be upgraded for more power (buy the S if you want the power because you can't upgrade the base engine)
IMS worries lurking in the back of your mind
People say its a chick car

The Boxster is a better car in terms of design, materials, and performance. The Miata is a better car in terms of ease of use, reliability, and affordability.

If I had to choose between the Miata and the Boxster, it would depend on what I used the car for. If I just wanted an easy to own and fun to drive sports car, then I'd keep the Miata. If performance was a priority and I wanted a car that turns more heads (and could afford keeping it), I'd keep the Boxster. I like the Boxster better by far. My wife chooses the Miata every time because she says that the Boxster just takes more effort than it is worth to her (she never drives fast).
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 11-23-2012 at 09:25 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #8

I've had 2 Miatas (91 and a 97), and one older 911 and still a 986 Boxster.
Miatas are fun zippy cars, but smaller and more connected driving experience , and the Boxster feels like a cushy touring car in comparison. Maintenance on Miata is cheap cheap cheap. I picked a used 1.6 L motor with 30k for $740!
Boxster is quicker on normal roads, more comfortable on longer trips, much more space, more $$ looking, and more impressive for date nights. The Miata was definitely more fun in town between stop lights, and zooming around San Francisco. I also was less paranoid about vandalism or dings.

It's really like comparing a Ford Mustang to a BMW M3 . Both cars are great and fast, but they are in a different social class and cost accordingly. Get what you can afford to buy and maintain.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #9

I have owned two Miatas (Miatae?) - a 90 and a 94 and now have a 2000 Boxster. So, I'm comparing different versions of the cars. I wish I could have one of each. But, because I can only justify one sports car, I think I'd have to give the nod to the Boxster if the purchase and maintenance costs aren't an issue. Here's why:

1. The Boxster performs better in handling, braking and acceleration
2. If I were in an accident, I think I would be better protected in a Boxster
3. Fewer squeaks and rattles
4. It's a Porsche and if you are even considering a Boxster you obviously need to scratch that itch

However, on a cost basis the Miata is much more car for your money.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #10

Garage
Going from a Miata to a boxster would be like going from Ruth Buzzi to Sophia Loren ! Don't ask me how I know ?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #11

Ruth Buzzi? Really? Was that before or after Eartha Kitt? Just how old are you anyway, Danger?

I bet you have all five seasons of Rowan & Martin digitally re-mastered on Blu-ray.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Ruth Buzzi? Really? Was that before or after Eartha Kitt? Just how old are you anyway, Danger?

I bet you have all five seasons of Rowan & Martin digitally re-mastered on Blu-ray.
I provided security details for both women when they attended a Ray Stevens concert in Branson, Missouri back in the day.

Ray Stevens ~ The Streak - YouTube
Old 11-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #13
Ex Esso kid

If he does he's a brunette man cause Goldie was barely dressed and not as old as Methuselah when they taped it. Oh and Mark, that old lady skit doesn't mean regular Ruth wasn't an e ticket ride.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Oh and Mark, that old lady skit doesn't mean regular Ruth wasn't an e ticket ride.
Experience talking, Ghost? Ok, let's start a poll... how many people on this forum have done Ruth Buzzi?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #15
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Experience talking, Ghost? Ok, let's start a poll... how many people on this forum have done Ruth Buzzi?
Even I was too young to get busy with Ms. Buzzi and now you're talking hip fracture risk
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #16

Before I bought my 2001 S in 2010, I had a 1999 Miata I owned from new, and was a daily driver. I miss the Miata because I had spent many $$$$ customizing it, which was tremendous fun. I am finding it much more difficult and expensive to customize the Boxster.

The single biggest difference between the two cars is the shifter. The Miata's shift action was heaven. The Porsche cable shifter is...a disgrace. Sorry, but that's the way I feel. I have tried the 9x7 shifter, and now use the B&M, and I am still not happy. Shifting the Miata was very natural and effortless, whereas the Boxster shifts must be planned and deliberate.
Auf los! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #17
Certified Boxster Addict

Track experience:

I've had both cars on the track. In terms of handling, the Boxster edges out the Miata and will beat it around just about any race track. The Miata has more tendency to understeer as you reach the limit and will do so earlier than the Boxster. An upgraded Miata (performance suspension + turbo) will beat a stock 2.5L Boxter but can't keep up with an upgraded 2.5L Boxster (PSS9 suspension) or a stock 3.2L S model Boxster.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auf los! View Post
The single biggest difference between the two cars is the shifter. The Miata's shift action was heaven. The Porsche cable shifter is...a disgrace. Sorry, but that's the way I feel.
No argument here. My '88 MR2, with a cable shifter, shifted much nicer than the Boxster, as did the Miata (before I took it apart for the V8 conversion). The shift feel is the worst thing about the way this car drives. The rest is about perfect.

grubinski is offline   Reply With Quote