Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #1

cool cap

New to the convertible world. I have seen 3 different types of covers that just cover the top so i can just quickly toss it on when I'm at work. Don't need a full cover at work. Anyone tried any? What do you like best.

986fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
pjv

Garage
I bought a California Pop Top a while back just to cover the soft top in the sun (things can get pretty hot here in summer). It is certainly very effective at keeping the interior of the car cooler, and also keeps the bird poop off! It was not too expensive and is easy to fit and remove, so I am happy with it.
pjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:20 AM   #3

I have no choice but to park in the summer sun at work, and I've used both the Cool Cap and the California Pop Top. They are both made of Tyvek, but the Cool Cap has a metalized layer on top. One would think that this would make the Cool Cap more durable, but mine lasted only one and a half seasons before it started disintegrating. Neither fits the Boxster really well (like it was made for it), but either will work.

I have not tried the cover available from Roadster Solutions, but I believe it is made from car cover material, and would therefore last longer. Flaps down the sides may prevent some door dings, too.

I have often mused that the best thing to do would be to buy a regular car cover and cut it down, using special clamps that Griot's sells to attach it to the car, but my sewing skills are, uh, nonexistent.

Auf los! is offline   Reply With Quote