Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 03:35 AM   #1

Spinning my wheels on engine squeal

First post. Thanks in advance.

First thing I did was a search to see if I can find any specific answers, nothing specific but all helpful.

I have an 01 S with 18k, original owner. Just did a bunch of work on the car (new plugs, filters, oil filler tube, AOS, magnetic oil plug, oil change, etc. after 12 years of just changing the oil.

I've had a squeal coming from the engine area for the last year, maybe two. Wasn't horrible but I noticed it especially at the end of a rev cycle with RPM's north of 3k.

I checked original belt and it was in good condition but I proactively changed it first to see if it would be a quick fix. Not. Changed upper and lower belt pulleys, alt. pulley and the noise seems to be getting worse. I have the belt tensioner on it's way.

Waiting to see if BT makes any difference.

Next, which I am hoping I don't have to will be alt and water pump.

Any idea's?

fishski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:00 AM   #2

Garage
Spray WD-40 at all exposed bearing areas. You've obviously had the front engine cover off, with it off and the engine running, shoot a squirt at the base of the rotating shafts. I think you'll find the squeak.

If you do find it, you might want to go back with white lithium grease for a more permanent solution.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:07 AM   #3
Ex Esso kid

Check the roller bearings too, they are a cheap replacement
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #4

310 please explain when you say roller bearings...TIA
Old 11-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #5

There are 3 tensioner's with bearings and they usually cause the squeal. But anyone of the other parts connected and driven by the belt could be suspect. Water pump, alternator, power steering pump. Now, does it seem like a belt squeal or metallic squeal. I have a stethoscope which I use when chasing down an engine noise. Harbor Freight has them fairly cheap.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #6

I've already replaced the upper and lower rollers and the roller on the alternator. I just received a new belt tensioner which I will replace in the next day or so. I'll have to get a stethoscope.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #7

Listen real carefully to the water pump and the power steering pump. I seen guys here on the forum having a noise and both have replaced each. Now my own experience with a squeal was the engine would warm up after driving for 30 minutes and I would get a squeal and it would get louder when revving or accelerating. But the engine had to get hot first...turned out the AOS was failing and sucking air around the front crank seal.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:22 AM   #8

I'm replacing the tensioner today so going to go from there. After that it's A/C, WP, Alt. Question is do I replace with "porsche" parts or aftermarket. Seems to be 30-40% increase if you buy Porsche. I've been using all Porsche on the smaller items (pulleys, belt, AOS) but not sure I want to pay a premium for the larger ticket items. Any suggestions what other people have done? Is the Porsche brand worth the extra money?