Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #21
Ex Esso kid

I don't usually go full boat Sicilian but if that had been my ride and he didn't pay up, I'd pay that Lumina a visit sometimes karma needs a push.

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #22

Update. got the estimate today and the damage is $640.

I also stopped by the restaurant at the time the cooks were supposed to show up, and waited.
Sure enough I see the car roll up! shaking in anger I calmed down and approached him.
Long story short He had no ID, or no insurance, and said it wasn't him driving.

I let him know that it is his problem, and that I was willing to not report his hit and run to the police. I already reported it, but now that I have the full license plate number, if he pays up I wont give it to the police.

Fingers crossed!
ccstud17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #23

3 things.
By law it's not the driver of the car that is responsible, it is the registered owner unless he offers up the other driver.
Doesn't Washington have a law requiring car insurance? If he is driving without insurance, warn him he could lose his license and possibly the car if the policia get involved. Don't harass him at work or involve his boss, it'll haunt you if you take it to court.
The pictures with the plate, and maybe take a photo with him getting out of car one day is more than enough to take him to small claims court and win. I've done the same in the past and won.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #24
Ex Esso kid

I should not of suggested defacing his ride, I take that back. Somehow, I knew this guy was going to be uninsured and that my friend is where he is totally F*&%, you now have him by the gonads. It seems to me this would be a slam dunk for small claims court.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #25

I'm sorry for your incident. I've had malicious damage done to mine and it really sucks. Your problem seems to me not to be winning in court or having the police do something. Even if you win in court, which should be a slam dunk, it's the collecting that's the problem. If he has no insurance, no ID, etc, what are the chances that he has two dimes to rub together?

I've won several small claims court and tenant eviction cases. Only one paid a small amount. The rest just didin't pay and there wasn't a whole lot else I could do. Sure, you can file with the credit reporting agencies, but he's probably already in the tank in that regard. He can lose his license, but that probably won't stop him from driving. You can file a lien against any property he owns. Given what you've said it's doubtful he owns any.

I feel for you, but really don't have any suggestions other than to be a pest with this guy and bug the hell out of him until he pays up.

Regardless of what I said above, I'd certainly take him to court. The cost is minimal and who knows, he may be scared enough of the legal system that he'll pay up. If he doesn't show up to court you'll get a default judgement. Then personally go after him to collect if he doesn't pay. You, as the creditor, can do a lot more in the way of bugging him and making a general pest of yourself than a collection agency can (this is according to my attorney!!)

I hope it all works out for you. Keep us updated.
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #26

I think you are in for a difficult battle...

you have tons of evidence so a court battle I think would be an easy win. It is not right to make generalizations....with that prefaced...I am going to make one, and assume this guy has little to no money saved, may be living paycheck to paycheck, and at best you will have a hard time getting part of the damages paid for. The beat up car, lack of insurance, probably expired tags, evasive attitude, just does not look promising. Unless this guy has a warrant or criminal background and is really worried about dealing with law enforcement for some reason, I think he is just going to blow off the entire accident. It may be worthwhile trying to offer to let him pay it out over time as I doubt the guy can scrounge together the necessary funds all at once...that being said, I would be worried he would vanish and you would never see him again too.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #27

My wife took an uninsured driver to court and they garnished her wages. Took a few years as she didn't make much money but we got the whole thing back. At least you know where he works.
At the very least , he and and any buddies he tells about this will think twice about being so careless. I've personally had at least about $5000 in hit and run damage over the last 10 years of living in the Bay Area.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #28

Your guys's support is awesome! I really feel like I have a good chance...
THE KICKER is, Im not from Portland, i was just visiting on my road trip home. Luckily im between jobs so I have a slightly flexible schedule, but cant hang out here for the months needed for small claims court.

As mentioned his elusiveness, and lack of insurance does not make me think he has the almost 700 needed. So I realize there is a very good chance ill get screwed over.

Ghostrider: dont feel bad about the idea of taking it out on his car, when i saw him drive up i felt like :troll: (not annoying troll, but scary mean want to kill someone haha)

In the grand scheme of life, I or anyone I love is not hurt, and my car still works. Im NOT giving up but i realize life could be alot worse haha
Old 11-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #29

Good for you skrap, but I have to agree with papa - the way to become disillusioned with the legal system is to sue. You'll double your loss in court fees, time off work, hiring document servers, investigators, and all that. Your only hope is that this guy doesn't know that the court coddles scofflaws and bums. Maybe threaten to sue and if he doesn't cough up a few bucks, move on. JMO.
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #30

RESOLUTION!

After all this time I now have $400 in my hand from the guy. To his credit he paid out of his pocket when it was his friend driving that hit my car. It is not the $640 that was estimated by local indie shop, but it is 200 more than he originally was going to pay, and its 400 more than I had!
If i do some of the prep work etc etc, I know i can get it back to where it was for 400.

Moral of the story: If you ever see some Ahole ding someones car. Snap a pic with your cell phone put it on the window! you will make someones day/month lol! (or just act like it is you car and get their info haha)

A big thankyou to everyone here for your support, advice, and even some of you that took action. you all helped me get this resolved and not ripped off!

Old 11-15-2012, 04:40 AM   #31

I've been following this story! Great end to it!
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #32

Garage
Glad to hear you got something out of it. Nothing makes me more angry than uninsured motorists. I know three friends of mine that all have been hit and didn't collect a dime.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #33
Carnut

Good for you! Glad it somehow worked out.