Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
gowestwardho

'01 S Soft Top stopped working. Any stepxstep instructions for diagnosis?

My soft top has suddenly stopped working. The dash light remains ON all the time. I can hear a motor running under the top and it sounds like it is cycling through its forward-and-back routine (I am led to believe it is a continuous loop or rather a single cable with reversing indicators on each end or something).

I have checked the usual - emergency brake completely set. Fuses OK, etc.

So what do I do next? How do I open the top when it doesn't cycle even halfway at all (i.e., I know how to open the engine compartment, et al, when the top is opened halfway. But in this case the metal body cover between the top itself and the trunk is in the locked and closed position).

What are the usual suspects to check for? BTW, I have 65,000 miles on it) Thank you

gowestwarho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
gowestwardho

Update: When I once again tried after a few days, I was able to get the top to open but I had to help it along as it sounded weak or something. So I got it opened and looked everything over and can't visibly see any issues. So I then closed the top. AND>>>> Now it won't open again. The motor just makes a think sound. In other words everything seems to work fine electrically and the motor runs, etc. I read elsewhere that the round plate on both sides revolves to cycle the top open/closed, can come off its sprockets/gears and get itself into the "wrong" spot or point in the cycle routine. But how do I determine that and set it right if that's the problem?
2001 Boxster S
gowestwarho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #3

I believe the motor is connected to one side and drives the other via a cable. You can search the forum for answers. Maybe check out Pelican Tech area and see what is listed there. Good luck.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:06 AM   #4

Garage
Since the motor is running, it sounds to me like a cable is broken. The motor is centered under the sliding top cover, with a cable going to a 'transmission' on each side that drives the top and the sliding cover mechanisms. If one cable snaps, the top will not open and it will torque/twist the sliding cover.
I had a snapped cable when the top was half the way down. It is possible to convert to a manual top by disconnecting a few parts until you replace the cable and any other needed parts. I don't remember all the specifics, but you can find the info with a search here or on Pelican.
Good luck!
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowestwarho View Post
Update: When I once again tried after a few days, I was able to get the top to open but I had to help it along as it sounded weak or something. So I got it opened and looked everything over and can't visibly see any issues. So I then closed the top. AND>>>> Now it won't open again. The motor just makes a think sound. In other words everything seems to work fine electrically and the motor runs, etc. I read elsewhere that the round plate on both sides revolves to cycle the top open/closed, can come off its sprockets/gears and get itself into the "wrong" spot or point in the cycle routine. But how do I determine that and set it right if that's the problem?
2001 Boxster S
What more than likely happened is one of the transmission have failed resulting in the cable from the electric motor to twist and snap on the one side. Orrr the latter which is a pushrod has broken on one side resulting in one transmission doing all the work.

stephe57 is offline   Reply With Quote